This is one of a series of resort hotels that now get the badge of "Waldorf Astoria" which immediately bestows prestige, but in this and in various other similar properties (like the historic Boca Resort) doesn't quite do justice to the Waldorf name, or to the customer expecting the respective service and quality. The biggest plus of the hotel is its location, which in my opinion can't be beat and is simply the nicest in Key West. No wonder, it's a very old resort, perhaps the oldest on the island, built when the railroad came at a time when one could still handpick the best location. So the beach is wonderful, with a reasonable amount of sand, which is not a given at all in the Keys.
But this is almost the end of the advantages. The "Waldorf" name means very high rates, so it's important to shop for deals and reasonable times. The "historic" often translates into "old" and "inconvenient" and "clumsy", and the facilities and rooms are not at all at a level of comfort of say a standard Marriott hotel. Furniture is very spartan, bathrooms are rather small and sometimes have an awkward layout. The only restaurants are out in the garden - a nice setting, but what do you do in the frequent summer downpours? The nice beach location means that you are quite far away from the action of Duval Street and Mallory Square, and many of the other bars. Overall, an amazing mix of strong pros and cons.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Mediterranean-inspired hotel sits on a 1,100-foot private beach a mile from Duval Street. Our historic beachfront resort combines 1920s ambiance with a chic, contemporary flair, features sophisticated accommodations, complete with LCD televisions, iPod docking stations, and an in-room espresso, coffee, and tea maker. Amenities include: two tropical pools, water-sports activities, spa services, poolside cabanas, Sun/Sun Bar & Grill serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and The Lobby Lounge for tapas and libations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct and Travelocity so you can book your Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Marina, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Key West
- Waldorf Astoria Key West
- The Waldorf Astoria Collection
- Casa Marina Resort Key West
- Casa Marina Key West
- Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Key West, Florida