“Nice but in the end a disappointment” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #35 of 49 Hotels in Key West
Zürich
“Nice but in the end a disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed with our family 3 nights befor Easter at Casa Marina. We were pleased with the rooms which were quite large with wooden floors and very clean. The hotel was airconditioned but not so much that we had to freeze or put on sweaters inside like in many other hotels. We appreciated the large yard, the lemonade in the afternoon and the beach to relax in after touring around Key West. The personal was very helpful and friendly and organized snorkling excursions and bicycles.
The only disappointment came after we had left and our son realized that he had left his brand new very nice bathing trunks in the bathrom of the room. I checked his luggage and since we were sure that he had left them there I called immediately but was told nothing had been found. I called again the next day and was told the same. I once even forgot jewellery at Mariott in Mallorca and they were sent back to me so this was a bit disappointing.

4 Thank Blacky62

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,341)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Malvern, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed at the Casa for the first timelast week. After a long drive down the Keys, we arrived to spots of rain, & the roof was stuck down on the convertable! Jessie, head Bellboy, spent an hour with us trying to sort it out, & then arranged parking for us undercover so that we could enjoy our stay at the resort rather than spending time fixing the car. He was brilliant & did everything possible to help us enjoy our stay. He even went & got the car for us when we were ready to leave! I could not have asked for better service! We had a relaxing stay at the hotel, the pools were quiet, & well served by the pool concierge with towles laied out & fruit bought round on a regular basis. As the sea was rough, the watersports were limited, but I would reccomend seeing Key West by renting a bike, a great way to get round. Our first, & hope not last, stay at the Casa Marina was superb, would love to return some day.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must if you are traveling all this way!
2 Thank angelah44
Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a beautiful property in a great location. The private beach is fantastic, as are the staff at the beach, and the outdoor bar. What meals we ate at the resort, we enjoyed at the bar. Five stars so far.

But our room itself was just awful. Number one complaint is that we could hear every sound from the next room, and I mean EVERY sound. Occasionally we got smells from the next room as well - DISGUSTING! We asked to be moved to a room without an adjoining room door, stayed packed up for a whole day waiting to move, and were just sent a few doors down - to another room with adjoining door! Very frustrating to waste a whole day waiting for that!. Front desk staff were polite, but 100% ineffective in this regard. Said our move would be handled for us, that did not happen. At check-out, we insisted on some measure of refund, $25 resort fee for each day was waived. For $300/night-plus room charge, that was completely unsatisfactory. I have had more pleasant rooms at ECONO-LODGE, in all seriousness, TERRIBLE, and no concern of the hotel, either. Just not Waldorf-Astoria accommodation quality OR service inside the hotel.

Room Tip: Be sure you do not get a room with an adjoining door, or you will never get a moment's peace.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank katherin
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

First impression is like being in a dream. The Hotel is beautiful, everything is perfect, at the right place, tidy, shiny...you feel comfy, cosy and you believe that this place is just the right place to be.
Passed the lobby, your first impression keeps growing. The beach, the pool, the view, the trees, the peers, the color of the see, the magnificent sand, the hammock where you can stay hours contemplating the sky or the stars, all in all makes this place a peace of even on earth. Then you enter your room, clean, tidy, with a perfect terrace... and you want to stay there for ever.....but, there is a but, i have been confronted to a room service below average, with a waiting time between my order and delivery far too long and in addition with cold plates... and this repeated at the pool restaurant. At this level of luxury it just kills the dream.....
I could as well mention that the swimming pool, not very clean, and the extra $25 fee for the Wifi, beach and pool towels which could be off the bill when you come to pay such a price for this place. And last but the least, there is a massive improvement due in terms of sound proofing quality. It is a killer to hear people in the rooms around you talking, moving, having a shower or else....wall could have been less thin.
In and out, a place to see, but some improvement needed in terms of service and customer experience. I might not reconsider the place for a future stay.

4 Thank yf7003
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Not enough attention to service. No king bed as requested. Gave cheaper rates to last minute guests than for me who made reservations 6-8 weeks in advance. Maid forgot coffee/creamer, Resort charge of $25/day is absurd. Don't self or valet park: park in street.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank gfemd
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

For most, this an excellent facility especially if you live in a cold northern place. This will be a nice refuge for an escape. I enjoyed my stay. But attention to detail is important if you seek 5-star status.
Check-in: timely but you wont get you room early, no matter what. I also did not get the king bed requested: got two full beds....how romantic

Maid service forgot coffee & creamer on day # 2. Solved with two phone calls

Last-minute guest got a rate $80 cheaper/night than I got: I reserved 6-8 weeks in advance

Resort charge of $25/night....absurd

Otherwise, Mrs. Lincoln said it was nice.....

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank gfemd
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband and I recently returned from our 3rd stay at the Casa. This is a beautiful property with all of the amenities. The beach is wonderful.

I have the same complaint about the property as I did last year, but it was even worse this year. The pools were full of kids and toys. At one point, I counted 25 kids in the pool. It was impossible to sit by the pool and relax. Hotel management should designate one pool for children only. It is ridiculous for those of us who want a nice, quiet day at the pool.

They work hard to maintain the property and our room was clean, but on 2 days I had to call at 4:30 for room service. Also, the halls outside of our room hadnt been swept and were dirty.

Dont get me wrong, I love this hotel and it is the only place I will stay in KW. At $450+/day, I would expect the chance to relax by the pool and shouldnt have to call to have my room cleaned.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple