My husband and I stayed here for our Honeymoon (using HH points). What an impressive lobby and beautiful architecture! We were welcomed most warmly by Tim, the valet attendant. Kudos to Tim for making a fantastic first impression! The front desk attendant congratulated us on our honeymoon, but the comment about funding our entire week+ long stay with Diamond status points warranted only, "wow, you must travel a lot". I have received warmer welcomes from Hampton Inns...a little bizarre in my opinion.
We had booked a junior suite and requested it be off the first floor, and upon arriving at our room, we found that it was, indeed, on the first floor. The layout of the room was not to my expectation: I thought I would be able to have the option of opening a window/the slider to have the natural air versus air conditioning. Because we were on the first floor, we did not feel comfortable doing that, plus the slider and patio were immediately next to a heavy foot-traffic area. When I called to inquire about switching room locations, the staff was amenable and upgraded us to a king suite on the top floor. They were courteous and this particular front desk person made us feel more valued for choosing the Casa Marina for our Honeymoon and congratulated us several times on our recent marriage. So, onto the next room...much, much better! This room was definitely more what we were expecting from a suite although I do concur with what many of the other reviewers have said regarding the resort not having that "Waldorf feel". I think this is a good thing because this was in Key West and therefore a more laid back atmosphere fit the island better.
The pools were great, and the staff was fantastic. The poolside bar service was impeccable...very possibly the best pina colada on the island. There was a small bar inside the lobby that advertised an absinthe tasting but it was very difficult to actually find someone who would provide this for us. I'm not a fan, but my husband very much wanted to have one of these gross things. When we did get someone to help us with the tasting, the menu looked very creative! My husband was quite happy with the variety of options and was satisfied.
Beautiful grounds, beautiful beach, beautiful pier, beautiful setting. Please do not forget that Key West does not have natural sand due to the coral. Therefore, do not come here expecting a soft-sand beach experience unless you want imported sand at one of the public beaches. With one of the only natural beaches on the island, the Casa Marina does not import sand, yet maintains the natural integrity of that part of the island. This should be commended. Wear flip flops so you don't hurt your feet. It's too beautiful for that!
One last thought...no need for a vehicle although the parking situation is very convenient and secure (albeit expensive). Rent bikes instead! We walked most of the time, and the distance to the “action” part of Duval was a little far for our taste because we like to go back and forth from activities to the room (we are both 30yrs old and in good health, so keep this in mind if you are like us and enjoy making multiple trips to the room throughout the day - rent bikes). FYI the trolley also makes a stop right at the entrance of the resort!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Mediterranean-inspired hotel sits on a 1,100-foot private beach a mile from Duval Street. Our historic beachfront resort combines 1920s ambiance with a chic, contemporary flair, features sophisticated accommodations, complete with LCD televisions, iPod docking stations, and an in-room espresso, coffee, and tea maker. Amenities include: two tropical pools, water-sports activities, spa services, poolside cabanas, Sun/Sun Bar & Grill serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and The Lobby Lounge for tapas and libations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Travelocity.ca, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Marina, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Key West
- Waldorf Astoria Key West
- The Waldorf Astoria Collection
- Casa Marina Resort Key West
- Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Florida