“Wonderful staff, laid back atmosphere, pretty place and 24/7 facilities … !”
Review of Island House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Island House
Abroad
“Wonderful staff, laid back atmosphere, pretty place and 24/7 facilities … !”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Resort looks lovely and cozy. Atmosphere throughout the entire place is extremely friendly and laid back thanks to the hospitable staff on the one side and thanks to the decent guests such place obviously attracts on the other.

My room was very small. Wonderful bed, way too many cushions though. Room definitely needs better cleaning. Pests in the carpet – why not take the entire carpet out …? Clean bathroom and good quality bathing products. Not that you really need it: the shared bathroom is also very clean, same products and on top of that: much more exciting … ;)

Restaurant / pool side bar is open 24/7. Complimentary coffee and tea. Good food. Brilliant casting of the guys working there: handsome and sexy, always in for a chat without forgetting to offer splendid service.

Sauna, jacuzzi and video lounge are not very up to date though well maintained. Good enough for 24/7 relaxation and adult entertainment for hotel guests and visiting locals.

Smoking in the room is not allowed, but once you step out of your room there are plenty of spots where you can sit and enjoy your cigarette.

The town of Key West looks nice but does not offer enough that is worth such long journey that I have made. But if you have decided to go there anyway, the Island House of Men is a very good choice to spend your stay. If this place would have been closer to where I live, I would go there again – not for Key West, just only for the resort itself …

Want to know more? Find me on Gayromeo under Alex-Abroad.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Alex A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
worldwide
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This March I had my second stay at this property and my last in a room. This property needs to undertake a thorough cleaning of the rooms and some common areas.
I noticed some glowing reports on other sites, many with mentions of the free happy hour. That amenity makes up a portion of the room rate and is not in fact free. Only one reviewer mentioned the cleanliness issue. Are clients willing to overlook dirtiness in exchange for the happy hour and a party environment?
The best aspect of this property is the personnel. They also provide Sarongs which was a nice touch. Toiletries are Aveda. That said I have some issues with the property that I hope you find helpful
I took the largest unit on the property a two bedroom on the second (top) floor of the building across the alley. This unit rents for $400 per night plus tax during season. The exterior of the building is cottage quaint. The unit has a nice veranda with a couple of chairs and a view of a street and nothing you really want to look at.
The first issue was the condition of my room which can best describe as grungy. The floors were tile with a few being cracked. As best I could tell they were moped but just looked like they it could use a good polish. The living room had an area rug that was dirty, I mean hadn’t been cleaned in a long time dirty. The exhaust vent feeding a/c into the living room had mold growing on it. The a/c intake vent was filthy! The bathroom cabinets and vanity were in need of wiping down. The sills of every window we not just a little dirty they were black with soot. I can honestly say I have never in my life seen that amount of dirt on window sills. No doubt the soot comes from traffic on the street the room faces.
The unit had a kitchenette which was clean and functional but really dated. The bedroom ceiling fan squeaked a fact I didn’t discover until bed time. The mattress has a plastic cover/pad to protect it. This is annoying and I can’t think of another hotel that uses them.
Another major complaint is the T.V. channels or lack thereof. They must have the most basic package cable package available. It also has a strange sub menu which requires you to flip through many blank channels or learn them. There is no guide. Seriously they have C-span but no CNN or BBC. A channel that plays old TV series in black and white. A sort of movie channel called “THIS” that played NOTHING like Showtime or HBO. Also a couple of Spanish channels, one local network channel and three adult channels.
I met another guest with a pool side room which runs $375 in season. Somehow at first glance the furnishings and the wet bar were in better condition. The next thing I noticed was the area rug between the beds. Same problem, dirty but also tattered. If you are noise sensitive these rooms have wall a/c units which are not the newer whisper type. The ceiling fan hung down low enough that I could see the edges of the housing top. The dust was so thick it looked like shag carpet.
I’m going to also bring up the bug issue, most resorts spray or take steps to minimize bugs around their property here was a constant issue with flies and mosquitos. I can’t imagine what it’s like during the summer.
If you are a non-smoker you can’t avoid second hand smoke around the pool. The real problem is limited space not the smokers. The lounge chairs around the pool are approximately one foot apart. During season every lounge is taken so you can’t move your chair around. During my stay every time I got a lounge it was next to one smoker and some days I was sandwiched between two. In fairness there is an upper deck which has more room but there is no shade on that level. I am really tolerant of smoke but the constant drift all day every day really got to me.
The gym is quite small. It is next to impossible to use if more than three people are trying to lift weights. Cardio equipment is usable but again dated. There are three T.V.’s hanging on the wall in front of the Cardio equipment but no way to listen to them. They need to upgrade those machines with sound capability or individual monitors that you can plug into. In addition they have memberships or pay passes available for locals that adds to the crowd. Looking around the gym I noticed another filthy A/C feed grate. Remember this is the air you are breathing while exercising, if the grate is filthy imagine how bad the ducting is!!!
The restaurant is good but I want to caution future guest on the Bloody Mary’s. I ordered them three times. The first and third time I got fragments of pit in the olives. Be really careful I felt lucky I didn’t crack a tooth. They need to change the olive brand they use. Never had pit fragments in green olives but to get them twice it must be a really cheap brand. As I think about the lack of cleanliness one should have concern with the restaurant. If management is not concerned with overall room hygiene then logically that would carry on into the kitchen.
I really cannot recommend Island House in good conscious although I’d like to do just that. I could have easily given the property an above average rating if they cleaned it up and followed normal hotel protocol, upgrading and updating on the five year plan. They are certainly getting room rates that warrant much better value for the guests.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
25 Thank livesinhotels
Amsterdam
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Island House is the best gay holiday resort anywhere. We have been twice (and will go again) and it is well worth the long flight to get there. Apart from the luxury rooms, wonderful pool area, daily poolside happy hour and the tasty restaurant the staff and the guests all combine to make your holiday experience very special.

Room Tip: The poolside rooms are more expensive but definitely allow a good view of everything :)
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AmsterdamNeil
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We have just returned home from our trip across the pond once again to the Island House in Key West which is an easy 13 hour journey from Manchester in England, We flew Virgin Atlantic to Orlando then Airtran from Orlando to Key West which is a 1 hour flight this is the best way to get to Key West unless you want to drive which can take up to 8 hours non stop or stop off half way in the amazing Fort Lauderdale or Miami but due to us only being in Key West for a week, flying does make it an easier option.

When we arrived to Key West Airport we got a taxi which took us straight to the Island House which is a 5-10 minute taxi ride and is around a $10 fare with tip i do suggest that maybe Island House have a airport shuttle maybe?

We arrived to the Island House jet lagged and tired and was welcomed with the best care of any hotel that we have ever stayed in though we have stayed at the Island House a couple of times now everyone knew our first names which is a fantastic welcome, they told us of new changes including i pad loans and many other great things to this resort including very fast wifi which is included and is available all around the resort, We had emailed the Island House quite a few times since our last visit about our room type which was the Owners Suite, it is expensive though but worth every penny or cent, we was shown to our room and was told that our luggage would be bought to us which arrived in minutes.

As for the Room well it is incredible as you can see in the pictures ive uploaded,It has a very large pool view room with a very very comfy King Bed, it also has its own private balcony, with two-man hammock, overlooking Fleming Street very nice to chill out in the evenings. Wet bar, large refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and walk-in closet. Bathroom has the best shower ive ever been in. There is a Desk which has hard wired ethernet high speed internet connection and your own iMac desktop computer and also free wifi for us i phone lovers :D

The whole resort was as immaculate as ever including the great facilities and always fun times to be had including getting to know the other guests and locals at the great happy hour which is served from 5:30pm until 7pm there is also a fantastic restaurant with a great menu including some Key West favourites like the Conch Fritters and Key West Lobster WOW!

We didnt really visit Key West much on this visit as we had such a wonderful room at the Island House and just wanted a tottaly chilled out time, there really is no need to leave this amazing resort but there is so much to explore on the tiny island of Key West including our day on the Key West Fury Adventure which we highly recommend!

All guests was really friendly and are really easy to get on with and we have met some great guests from around the world but credit is due to the fantastic staff who work there including Paul,Alan,Gordon,Steve,Frank,Mitch,Ray,Ralph and Rudy and the rest of who work there!

We cant wait to return and thankyou yet again to the Island House!

Room Tip: Phone or Email the Island House at IHKeyWest@aol.com to see what they can do but try and get a pools...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank orlandouk
Guerneville, California
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Overall, this is a very pleasant and fun place to hang out. Sunday afternoons are particularly busy and sometimes late night, too. The entire resort is beautifully landscaped and kept spotless. Generally, the staff is cordial.

We might have rated 5 stars if it weren't for the rather high room rates. We got a 12-day pass for $150 that you can use anytime over a year and a lot cheaper than the single day price ($20 or $25). This gives you full access for 24 hrs (8a.m. To 8 a.m.).

The pool is typical small resort size and kept at a balmy ~ 90 degrees, which I personally think is perfect. There are two whirlpools; the one inside is smaller (maybe 6) and hotter than the outside one. The small steam room holds about 8-10. The sauna is tiny with room only for 4 sitting (and much too hot for me anyway).

There is a nice, small gym with 2 multi- exercise machines, treadmill, leg machine, TV monitors, and free weights. This is next to the locker area for day passers. And an endless supply of pool towels is provided.

The sun deck above the restaurant has about 30 lounges and another 10+ shadier lounges by the pool. You will also want to visit the video room on the 2nd floor which is popular at times.

The pool-side restaurant serves very good lunches and service was cordial (see separate review). There are also several excellent restaurants for dinner within an easy walk.

From what we saw of the rooms, they look very nicely appointed but some seem terribly small. And the prices are quite a bit higher than some other gay resorts in Old Town.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank IQ140
Cape Town
Reviewed 7 April 2012

my partner and I traveled to Key West and stayed in the Island house. We felt very welcome at the resort. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The pool and restaurant are stunning, Happy hour is well worth a visit or two. The only thing I can say that was disappointing was the age of the average guest. I would say most people above 60. We hoped for a younger crowd around our age. To be fair it did seems this was true for all of Key West.

Room Tip: Don't rent a car as there is very limited parking and you won't use it. Also get a pool ro...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dave N
IslandHouseKeyWest, Guest Relations Manager at Island House, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Thank you for your objective review of our Resort. It is unfortunate that during your stay our in-house residents did not blend with your age category. However, it should be pointed out that at any given date, the crowd can range from young to old and cannot be predicted. There are many events during the year that cater to different age categories and personal orientation. We hope that in the future you may contact us in advance regarding such special events. Thank you again for your fine review of our Resort.
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My partner and I have visited Key West many times over the last five years. We had done college spring break passes a few times and finally in November of 2011 decided to actually stay at the property.

I am very reserved and conservative while my partner is a lot more open. However, the entire stay was amazing! The facility can be anything you want it to be, from an upscale bath house to just a relaxing gay friendly environment. For us, we just wanted to relax and unwind from our hectic lives in the mid-west. Island House definitely delivered! The staff was friendly and helpful (and several were quite nice to look at too), the facility was VERY clean, and the amenities were more than anyone could ask for. Happy Hour was a definite plus and the drinks were poured just right. The food was very good and the the sundeck was another great feature of the property that we utilized most of our trip to lay out and relax.

Overall we had an enjoyable and relaxing vacation and The Island House did nothing but enhance every bit of our stay in Key West! We highly recommend a stay for anyone!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple