“Island House Key West” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Island House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Island House
Aventura, Florida
“Island House Key West”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

My friend and I went to Key West for a short trip while on vacation. I had been to Key West before and had a horrible time. So I told my friend if I ever return I had to stay at the Island House as I did not on my first trip. I must tell you staying there change my mind about visiting Key West. The staff was so wonderful and attentive to everyone needs. They made you feel so welcome that you really did not need to leave the resort as they had everything you need right their on property. The food was great and best of all FREE afternoon cocktails for their guest. They even upgraded my room and made my experience an awesome one. I cannot wait to go back and stay at this property. I recommend the Island House to everyone.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Intlman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Narrowsburg, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

We have stayed at the Island House twice now. Both times the staff have gone out of their way to make our stay as pleasant and special as possible. Most recently we needed accommodation for one night. Not only did the Island House say "No problem" but they also upgraded us to the most beautiful suite in the guesthouse! The cafe is truly one of the best restaurants in Key West. We love it that both the cafe and bar and pool are open 24 hours a day. The rooms are immaculate and beautifully appointed. Every single detail is taken into consideration to make your stay as perfect as possible. Kudos to you all at the Island House! We will always book our room with you in Key West for the entire duration of our stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on the pool side are the most elegant.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Olivier D
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

It's customer service, customer service, customer service...the owners know how to treat their clientele with kindness & making them feel special. Most of their clientele is NOT right off the cover of GQ, or Muscle magazines, but they're treated like "that's who they are". I am going back to Island House on June the 5th, 2012 for the remainder of that week because the rooms & the pool, & the fitness area, & the entire property is immaculate...& welcoming 24/7.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool have a "great view" 24/7!!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Gunther1431
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

The friendly team go a long way to making Island House the place it is. Nothing is too much trouble - and the front of house team are all smiles.

The owners clearly take a lot of pride over the facilities and the rooms, and it's clear that maintenance is a high priority.

There's not much you can fault Island House on.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank stairpotato
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I read all of the reviews of the property and most were spot on. First, the good. Friendly and easy check in. The front desk guys were ALWAYS very nice and helpful when I needed anything at all. Also, the property was very nice and clean.
The guys at the bar were pretty much all friendly. One looked like he didn't want to be there at all, but the rest were very friendly and even came to the pool to get me another drink.
The room was very small, but I knew that going in. The bed was very comfortable and air worked great. The cleaning guy came the next day while I was at the pool and did an excellent job cleaning the room up. The free "movies" on the tv were a great addition as well.
For the most part the people were very friendly. I traveled alone and am a little shy, but I still managed to meet a lot of nice people that talked to me and gave me tips on what to see and do around town, which was much appreciated. also, the food at the cafe was very delicious. I had a few options and each one was great.
Now, the not so good (which wasnt bad at all)......
a lot of the pool doesnt get much sunlight so if you want to work on your tan you have to stay at one spot in the pool or sit on the sundeck.
Also, the music at the pool isnt very loud when it's crowded. They could turn it up some in the day light hours to give it more of a fun atmosphere. But, at night---it was like being at a wake. After 8 pm the pool area died and the music was easy listening and very soft. It's like they were saying---ok, happy hour is over, go out!!
I felt the drinks were a little pricey too. $4.50 for a beer and $7-9 for others when you are staying on the property for a lot of money anyway, I felt was a lot.

overall, the place was wonderful. I will definitly be back!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank M D
Abroad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Resort looks lovely and cozy. Atmosphere throughout the entire place is extremely friendly and laid back thanks to the hospitable staff on the one side and thanks to the decent guests such place obviously attracts on the other.

My room was very small. Wonderful bed, way too many cushions though. Room definitely needs better cleaning. Pests in the carpet – why not take the entire carpet out …? Clean bathroom and good quality bathing products. Not that you really need it: the shared bathroom is also very clean, same products and on top of that: much more exciting … ;)

Restaurant / pool side bar is open 24/7. Complimentary coffee and tea. Good food. Brilliant casting of the guys working there: handsome and sexy, always in for a chat without forgetting to offer splendid service.

Sauna, jacuzzi and video lounge are not very up to date though well maintained. Good enough for 24/7 relaxation and adult entertainment for hotel guests and visiting locals.

Smoking in the room is not allowed, but once you step out of your room there are plenty of spots where you can sit and enjoy your cigarette.

The town of Key West looks nice but does not offer enough that is worth such long journey that I have made. But if you have decided to go there anyway, the Island House of Men is a very good choice to spend your stay. If this place would have been closer to where I live, I would go there again – not for Key West, just only for the resort itself …

Want to know more? Find me on Gayromeo under Alex-Abroad.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Alex A
worldwide
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

This March I had my second stay at this property and my last in a room. This property needs to undertake a thorough cleaning of the rooms and some common areas.
I noticed some glowing reports on other sites, many with mentions of the free happy hour. That amenity makes up a portion of the room rate and is not in fact free. Only one reviewer mentioned the cleanliness issue. Are clients willing to overlook dirtiness in exchange for the happy hour and a party environment?
The best aspect of this property is the personnel. They also provide Sarongs which was a nice touch. Toiletries are Aveda. That said I have some issues with the property that I hope you find helpful
I took the largest unit on the property a two bedroom on the second (top) floor of the building across the alley. This unit rents for $400 per night plus tax during season. The exterior of the building is cottage quaint. The unit has a nice veranda with a couple of chairs and a view of a street and nothing you really want to look at.
The first issue was the condition of my room which can best describe as grungy. The floors were tile with a few being cracked. As best I could tell they were moped but just looked like they it could use a good polish. The living room had an area rug that was dirty, I mean hadn’t been cleaned in a long time dirty. The exhaust vent feeding a/c into the living room had mold growing on it. The a/c intake vent was filthy! The bathroom cabinets and vanity were in need of wiping down. The sills of every window we not just a little dirty they were black with soot. I can honestly say I have never in my life seen that amount of dirt on window sills. No doubt the soot comes from traffic on the street the room faces.
The unit had a kitchenette which was clean and functional but really dated. The bedroom ceiling fan squeaked a fact I didn’t discover until bed time. The mattress has a plastic cover/pad to protect it. This is annoying and I can’t think of another hotel that uses them.
Another major complaint is the T.V. channels or lack thereof. They must have the most basic package cable package available. It also has a strange sub menu which requires you to flip through many blank channels or learn them. There is no guide. Seriously they have C-span but no CNN or BBC. A channel that plays old TV series in black and white. A sort of movie channel called “THIS” that played NOTHING like Showtime or HBO. Also a couple of Spanish channels, one local network channel and three adult channels.
I met another guest with a pool side room which runs $375 in season. Somehow at first glance the furnishings and the wet bar were in better condition. The next thing I noticed was the area rug between the beds. Same problem, dirty but also tattered. If you are noise sensitive these rooms have wall a/c units which are not the newer whisper type. The ceiling fan hung down low enough that I could see the edges of the housing top. The dust was so thick it looked like shag carpet.
I’m going to also bring up the bug issue, most resorts spray or take steps to minimize bugs around their property here was a constant issue with flies and mosquitos. I can’t imagine what it’s like during the summer.
If you are a non-smoker you can’t avoid second hand smoke around the pool. The real problem is limited space not the smokers. The lounge chairs around the pool are approximately one foot apart. During season every lounge is taken so you can’t move your chair around. During my stay every time I got a lounge it was next to one smoker and some days I was sandwiched between two. In fairness there is an upper deck which has more room but there is no shade on that level. I am really tolerant of smoke but the constant drift all day every day really got to me.
The gym is quite small. It is next to impossible to use if more than three people are trying to lift weights. Cardio equipment is usable but again dated. There are three T.V.’s hanging on the wall in front of the Cardio equipment but no way to listen to them. They need to upgrade those machines with sound capability or individual monitors that you can plug into. In addition they have memberships or pay passes available for locals that adds to the crowd. Looking around the gym I noticed another filthy A/C feed grate. Remember this is the air you are breathing while exercising, if the grate is filthy imagine how bad the ducting is!!!
The restaurant is good but I want to caution future guest on the Bloody Mary’s. I ordered them three times. The first and third time I got fragments of pit in the olives. Be really careful I felt lucky I didn’t crack a tooth. They need to change the olive brand they use. Never had pit fragments in green olives but to get them twice it must be a really cheap brand. As I think about the lack of cleanliness one should have concern with the restaurant. If management is not concerned with overall room hygiene then logically that would carry on into the kitchen.
I really cannot recommend Island House in good conscious although I’d like to do just that. I could have easily given the property an above average rating if they cleaned it up and followed normal hotel protocol, upgrading and updating on the five year plan. They are certainly getting room rates that warrant much better value for the guests.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends