“What a find!”

Ranked #20 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Sunny Florida
“What a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We have stayed everywhere on the island from the Westin Resort to the occasional out of the way B&B. Our stay at the Truman Hotel has to be one of our favorite experiences. From the very beginning when we made our reservation with "Nick", to our departure, we were made to feel like a part of the family. On site parking was a plus and the location was close enough to the day and night life of Duval but still removed enough for a restful night's sleep. The room was emaculate and the staff could not have been more accomodating (not to mention the turn down and chocolates on the pillows). I would highly recommend Truman Hotel for your next visit - you'll be happy you did!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Estero, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Nice rooms, small but nice and clean. Great location. Perfect for a couple of days. Nice people.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor facing the street and had hardly any noise from the traffic.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

For a first-timer in Key West, this hotel was a perfect introduction.

The rooms were spacious, neat, clean and well-designed. It had large, spacious bathrooms with (my favourite) rain shower heads. We had a balcony adjoining the room, with seats, lighting and a small table for relaxing.

The main courtyard area is gorgeous! It's centered with a large pool and surrounding waterfalls and seating. The pool at night has a rotating array of coloured lights that light up the pool! I'm easily amused. :)

Continental breakfast in the mornings was well stocked and delicious, there was always fresh bottled water in the rooms and chocolates on the pillows. The cleaning staff organized all the things I left laying around, from clothing to bathroom amenities (sorry!) and came through on the towel art!

Free parking is great, but unnecessary when you are 2 blocks from Duval Street! We were within walking distance of every restaurant we wanted to try, the square, and most major historical sites. The only time the car got used was to get to a dive shop... and there's plenty of these around!

Was the price high? A little bit. But I would most definitely visit again. Thanks for making us feel so welcome!

Kipawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Having read Trip Advisor about this hotel, I took a gamble and reserved over the phone where I encountered a friendly receptionist that made me feel I was booking at the right place. Without making promises, they assured me that they would do their best to accommodate my needs and when I arrived the Truman really exceeded any assurances or promises they could have made. This small and beautiful oasis of a hotel, reminded me of a small resort that was away from it all but really was smack dab in the middle of it all in Key West. This place really made my vacation to Key West relaxing and enjoyable knowing that when I entered the grounds all the outside noise was suffocated by wall waterfalls and spa music. Could not of asked for anything better for my first vacation to Key West.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
dBranham, General Manager at Truman Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Thank you!
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Our stay at the Truman Hotel got off to a strange start. The receptionist was somewhat unusual. I'll give him the benefit of doubt and believe he just has a strange sense of humor. However my wife did not take it well when he said to me "and if you know her name write it on the [check-in] form" (while pointing at my wife). My sister-in-law had a similarly awkward interaction with him when she tried to call through to our room. My wife then happened to find a pair of ladies underwear (not hers) in the cupboard of our room.

The hotel is well located, just a couple of blocks from Duval Street and some wonderful restaurants. The room was well appointed and modern, comfortable bed and nice bathroom / shower. We were on the ground floor looking out to the pool. Outside the room there are chairs and a table for relaxing outside and enjoying an al fresco continental breakfast (complementary). Unfortunately the hotel allows smoking at these tables and next to the pool. Guests in the rooms next to ours took full advantage of this throughout the day and we were forever clouded in cigarette smoke whenever we tried to sit outside – even at breakfast. I would prefer if the hotel adopted a no-smoking policy throughout the hotel or had a designated smoking area away from the breakfast area / pool.

Overall, this was a nice hotel, but given the range of hotels in Key West and problems we had I would not return or recommend to others.

2 Thank Jock286
We are sorry for the inconvenience. The comments have been addressed with staff and we will do better. We are seriously considering banning all smoking on the property and we hope to make changes soon.
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband and I and our 3.5 month old baby from NJ just stayed here this past week and had an amazing time. The hotel is beautiful, rooms really well done, and it was the perfect central location to get to duval but to also get to both ends (southernmost point and the harbor/mallory square). There is a ramp out front so its easy to get the stroller in and out. We stayed in a 2nd floor room which I would say is the best location, was a little difficult with the stroller but I wouldnt have changed a thing. The staff was amazing, so inviting, and was really respectfull of all the stuff we had strewn all over the room (bottles, changing pad, diapers, ect.). Our room overlooked the pool and had a table and chairs outside which was perfect for mom and dad to have a little place to hang while the baby napped. The pool was perfect and offered the opportunity to stay in the sun or the shade (good for the baby) had spa-like music on while you lounged which was very relaxing and just felt luxurious. And some reviews say the continental breakfast wasnt good but we thought it was great. The pastries were excellent, yes the coffee could have been stronger (as a few have complained) but lets be serious, Im not on vacation for the coffee. I can get myself a stiff starbucks on my way into work when I get home. There arent too many pool lounge chairs in the sun but it did seem like there was a constant rotation of people so it wasnt too bad to get a seat by the pool. We would definitly stay here again and recommend it to anyone. One last thing, yes it would have been cool to have a poolside bar but honestly thank god they didnt because we saved alot of money by buying a bottle of vodka and making our own poolside cocktail using there fresh lemonade they put out every afternoon. Spend your money at the local restaurants, they are excellent. And give Duffy's a try across the street, went there for a late night dinner and it was really good.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are the best (we think) because they overlook the pool. The stairs arent too bad unl...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
louisville, ky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my recent trip to the Truman Hotel in Key West. The room and amenities were clean, fresh and modern. The bathroom had a spa- like feel with glass tile. The pool and deck areas were well maintained. Each morning there was a continental breakfast at pool side. Fruit punch was available in the afternoon by the pool. The only complaint I had of the breakfast was that the coffee was not top quality, as I prefer a premium blend. However, there is an internet cafe a block away that I walked to each morning. In hindsight I could have brought my own coffee and cream since there was a coffee maker and fridge in each room. Also, it would have been nice to have a happy hour by the pool like other bed and breakfast in the area offer. Staff were friendly but unobtrusive. All requests were handled in a prompt, efficient manner. The hotel is located about 3 blocks from Duvall street, so we were able to walk everywhere. The hotel was not in the main party area of Duvall so sleeping was not a problem. This was our 4th trip to Key West, and we would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a balcony room overlooking the pool.
2 Thank looavullady