“High ratings & Ray is great!!!!”

Albury Court Hotel in Key West
Boca Grande
“High ratings & Ray is great!!!!”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I just spent my first weekend in Key West for my birthday. Definitely I enjoyed my stay at Albury Court Hotel and would stay there again.

Since it was my birthday and first trip Ray was most helpful by referring me to a great spot for a superb birthday meal and referred me to Eaton Bikes for a bike rental. He is really great and absolutely deserves a raise!!!!

Thank you Albury Court I will be back!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
boston, ma
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We got a great deal on this little b&b, and although it was clean and comfy, I'm not sure I would stay there again because of the pool area.

Pros:
Very clean, helpful and friendly desk staff, super comfy and soft bed. There is also breakfast every morning, with cereals, coffee, bagels, muffins and oj...standard fare. Given the prices in Key West, this probably saved us $30-$40 a day.

Cons:
Location on Eaton St in the eastern part of the island is far from most of the action-probably a 15-20 min walk from upper Duval. This ended up not being a big deal for us as we walked everywhere and third it, but it could be an issue for others. My big problem was the pool. Cute and clean, very small with a lovely waterfall, but it got NO sun, which was a problem for this sun seeker. We had to find other options on the island, such as purchasing water sports packages at some of the other resorts with pools. Key West is definitely not a beach town.

I would stay here again if they could find a way to get some sun to the pool, but everything else was lovely!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank spanish_gem
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 January 2012

My daughter found the Merlin Guesthouse online. We were looking for a place to stay for only 2-4 nights. Most places only took reservations for 5-7 days. Your place was perfect for what we wanted. We rented a 2 bedroom cottage and our daughter rented a 1 bedroom cottage. We loved it !!! The continental breakfast each morning was great too. We loved the setting - especially Jordan the cat. We will definitely come back to stay with you again soon. Key West was a fun place to visit.

Room Tip: The cottages are great if you want to fix some of your own meals.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 January 2012

My husband and I stayed for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary. I do not have a single negative thing to say. It is adorable. Everyone at the guesthouse is friendly and helpful. The location was perfect. I would definitely recommend Merlin Guesthouse for your next stay!

• Stayed January 2012
Reviewed 25 January 2012

It was nice staying in the hotel. Room was very clean. Our room (no. 1) was like a small cottage with all the facilities inside.

Location is very good. Just 2 blocks from Duvel St.

Breakfast was fine.they provide coffee, juice, cereals, milk, bagel, muffins, apple etc.(all the basics). No eggs though.

Only thing I lack was Water. There is a coffee machine in the room but no water in and around. U need to walk some blocks to get it. It would be great if they can provide in hotel.but not a show stopper.

• Stayed January 2012
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We stayed here for two nights in mid-January and though the rooms were nice, I would've been more satisfied with the hotel if it had a few extras. Parking was a pain, which was expected, because it's Key West. I suggest unloading luggage in the alley (Elgin Lane) and then parking in the city parking garage on the corner of Grinell and Caroline (a couple blocks away). It's $13/day and you have to make sure you buy a new day pass each day. The receptionist was not very helpful in explaining these options. He gave us a non-detailed map showing areas of free street parking but that was it.

The hotel itself is well-located and the courtyard, small pool and common areas were up-to-date and well-maintained. The room was nicely decorated and the bed was comfortable. The TV in the room was a bit small (20" maybe?). The glass shower enclosure was pretty, but taking a shower meant the floor of the bathroom was flooded because it only covered half of the shower wall. There weren't enough handy outlets or places to hang towels. There wasn't a washer and dryer on site, so I had to haul my wet clothes and towel (which wouldn't dry in the room) to a slightly sketchy laundromat three blocks away.

Overall we had a fine time and we slept well, but I would probably look for a different hotel next time.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anne S
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This was our second trip to Key West and this time we wanted to be as close to the downtown area and the famous Duval Street as possible. Last time we were here a few years ago we stayed in a large hotel up on route 1 and found getting to and from downtown at night a hassle. It was hard to find a parking space if you took the car and cabs were expensive.

A quick internet search found us the Albury Court Hotel on Easton Street. The rates seemed pretty reasonable for Key West and it looked close to where we wanted to be.

This is a good little hotel. It’s quite quaint and picturesque and the rooms and bathrooms are finished to a high standard. Our room had a small kitchen area with a fridge and a sink. There was a flat screen TV and a flame effect gas fire in the bedroom and a smart modern bathroom with a large walk-in shower.

The hotel consists of several separate buildings on either side of Easton Street, this isn’t really a problem and adds to the quirkiness. The main issue for us was that there is absolutely no parking at the hotel and we had to find a space on the street and carry our luggage to reception across a busy street. When I enquired about the parking mentioned on the web site, it turned out to be a public multi-storey car park about 3 blocks away which charged $15 a day. We did manage to find a parking space close to the hotel on all four days that we stayed there, but it did take about ten minutes one evening and we found the later you left it the harder it became.

Although very nicely decorated and furnished the rooms are very small and with two large suitcases there wasn’t a lot of room to manoeuvre. Another issue for me which applied to quite a few rooms is there was absolutely no out look or anywhere to sit out side , unless you went down to the small pool area. The pool its self was tiny and the whole area was very shady. They had a small gazebo to the side of the pool where they served a free continental breakfast every morning, with cereal, toast, bagels, juice and coffee etc.

It took us about 15 minutes to walk down hill to Duval Street, but on a couple of evenings we opted to get a cab back up the hill. There is a really nice historic sea port area a couple of blocks away from the hotel, with a good selection of bars and restaurants. We particularly liked the Schooner Wharf Bar, which was a large open air bar/restaurant on the dock side with great live music.

It will be back to the large hotels on Route 1 for us next time we are in Key West I’m afraid. We like hassle free parking, a nice big swimming pool in the sun and big rooms with a view.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple