“2 Miles Make A Difference”

Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel
Ranked #15 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Back to Key West again and figured I would stay in a mainstream hotel. The Marriott is a beautiful property with a great restaurant (indoors not poolside), great amenities, and great service. Do not eat the food at the pool bar! The pool area was the perfect place to relax when I got back from jet sking and shopping downtown. The beach was also perfect at sunset.

My room was clean, but obviously well used. The bed was comfy and the the linens and bath towels were top notch. Overall, this was a great place. There were more families than I expected, but I suppose it is the time of year most Euorpeans travel with their kids.

My only draw back from staying at this hotel again is the location. That being said, I don't believe I will stay anywhere that far away from the action again. It is only two miles from Duval St, but the wait on a taxi (not very friendly taxi drivers in this town - not a one), the trip there, and waiting forever for a lift home just ate up too many dollars and too much time. Yes I saved money staying two miles away, but transportation costs mounted to rates which could have been spent within walking distance.

Planning on visiting again this August, so would appreciate any feedback on nice affordable hotels in the historic district.

Room Tip: The suite by the beach has a private balcony perfect for sunsets.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank southernglobal
Tiffany H, Manager at Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Thank you for your review. Our location is about 4 miles from Duval Street and this is actually a good thing for many of our guests who don't like to be in the middle of all the bars, late night noise and excitement of Duval street. The hotel also offers a complimentary shuttle service to and from Duval street from 8am-11pm because of the inconvenience the distance poses to our guests. We understand that each guest has different needs when traveling and booking hotels and hope that you enjoy your visit in August. Again, thanks for your review.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,895)

Reviewed 16 February 2012

My husband and I stayed 10 days and loved everything about this place. We rented a moped which made a lot of sense as this hotel is close to the airport and about 3 miles from Duval Street.and we really wanted to explore Key West. To be honest we slept and ate breakfast at the hotel and otherwise we were out and about. I saw lots of people at the hotel beach and around the pool and there seemed to be room for all. The concierge and front desk people helped us get any info we needed about attractions and water activity. Every staff member was courteous, friendly and helpful. There is an absolutely beautiful place to bike, walk or run along the water next to the hotel. Cannot wait to go back!!

3  Thank Capecod10
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I want to give an honest complete review of this hotel. I researched trip advisor about this hotel before booking and was confident I was booking with a hotel that both met my standards and gave me the best value for my money. This would be our first trip to Key West and I was unsure where the best location was to stay. The good points are as follows. It was very clean, the grounds were beautiful, the staff was very nice upon check in and out, the shuttle downtown was very convenient, it had nightly turn down service. Overall, it meet my standards on cleanliness and service. Bad points, I booked this hotel in November of 2010. I requested a high floor, extra towels and extra pillows. Upon arrival we were given a room on the first floor. I ask about a higher floor but it was unavailable but I was given the option of calling the next day to see if another room was available. After unpacking I didn't want to pack up and move after getting settled in. The towels and pillows were the customary allotment so I'm not sure "requests" are looked at upon check in. I also booked a "resort view" which on the website depicted a view of the inside of the resort overlooking the pool. We were booked in a room directly looking at a stucco wall. I called the front desk and was told a resort view was also a view of the gardens. The gardens consisted of a few trees and a few bushes. So my advise, call the desk before arrival and clearly state you want a high floor and overlooking the pool. In the room my only complaint was two of the jets weren't working in the tub and the water pressure in the shower was terrible! Also, if you are going to enjoy the beach, you might look for another location that offers more beach area. On our next trip we will book a little closer to town. We did visit the restaurant one evening for drinks and the staff there was not as friendly as the front desk staff. Overall, great hotel minus the few issues.

6  Thank CK021282
Tiffany H, Manager at Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

We sincerely apologize for not accommodating the special request for the high floor because we try to accommodate all requests based upon availability however, we make it known that these are requests and not guarantees. Our property provides a small sun bathing beach and for guests wishing to visit a "real" beach we always suggest Fort Zachary Taylor State park because we realize that our sun bathing beach won't meet all of our guests needs. We pride ourselves on a great property and service however, are realistic in knowing that to achieve this takes constant attention and training. Thank you for your review, both our good comments and our poor comments are appreciated and help us improve our four star hotel.

Reviewed 5 February 2012

I was a little nervous before we got here after reading some of the reviews, but my husband had already booked the trip so swallowed my concerns. The staff at check in was wonderful and there is nothing I like better than a glass of sparkling wine offered after a day of travel. Our room was not ready when we got here, but the wonderful driver who bought us in from the airport showed us restaurant at Hurricane Hole (short walk from the hotel) where we ate lunch and played instruments while a local sang. Our room was ready by the time we got back and what a room it is! Truly lovely. I can understand why people are upset about the beach but there are very few natural sand beaches in the Keys. The slamming doors are a problem also but we try to close the outside door and inside door very quietly when we come and go. Perhaps signs on the doors suggesting that would be helpful. The shuttle into town is wonderful and very prompt. If it is too full they always had another one a short distance away. The older driver the the day time in particular was wonderful telling the history of Key West. Would stay here again if had the same accomodations.

Room Tip: Book a suite Gulf front with private sun deck . Third floor. We got breakfast coupons which are no...
3  Thank dwprairiefire

Thank you for your review. You are correct, there are no natural sandy beaches in Key West as you would find in other parts of Florida because we are surrounded by the Reef and we don't get any waves here which is why we describe our beach as a sunbathing beach. Our suites are much more spacious than our standard rooms and cost only a minimal amount more per night. We hope on your next return you choose to stay with us again

Reviewed 4 February 2012

This was great, i paid 159.00 per night. And had it all a nice room and top service.
now is the time to play in the sun. so have a great time..

Room Tip: Call before going and i think you will find what you desire..
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. We do pride ourselves with our wonderful service, property and staff. We encourage people to call ahead and speak to us so that we can suggest what the best room types are for their vacation. We hope you stay with us again on your next visit to Key West.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

I'm not hard to please. Quit room..comfortable bed ...in house movies..coffee maker ... snack bar...and most important great view from a private balcony.
We stayed in large oceanfront suite....don't know why my wife booked it..
Full service kitchen and room for eight...but we weren't planning a dinner party and my wife wasn't cooking....arrived late ...no mini bar...coffee but no cream..no movies
Next morning..view ok if your deaf and have severe cervical arthritis limiting neck rotation and flexion...otherwise you will hear loud traffic and ambulance sirens blasting from the nearby crowded street...you will see dirty seaweed and rocks on your beach from your balcony..you will also see and hear 2 or 3 of your neighbors on their balcony.
Lastly,we were told at check in we would be getting free breakfast and were surprised they really meant "continental".
The workout room was awful. The pool average. The service top notch. The people were very nice and we have been promised a full refund for the one night we stayed before checking our early.

Room Tip: Don't book a suite
3  Thank Goldenretrieversareg

Thank you for your review. We are truly sorry that your stay with us was not an acceptable one. We do hope you have contacted the hotel directly and have spoken to a Manager or someone that could address the problems that occurred while you were here. We pride ourselves on a great property and service, however are realistic in knowing that to achieve this takes constant attention and training. Both our good comments and our poor comments are appreciated and help us improve our four diamond hotel.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

The rooms were pretty small, although nicely furnished. Found it difficult to locate the room, the directions from the front desk are pretty muddy. Average bathroom, nothing interesting. Our room (I think most rooms) are along the outside corridor, and we were facing the street, so pretty loud. If we'd been there for more than one night I would have asked to change rooms to other side of hotel.

Front desk staff are polite and aloof, that may be their thing. Glass of champagne on check in is a nice touch. Free wifi in lobby, but expensive wifi in room.

I found the hotel to be overpriced for what you get and the location. Although there is a shuttle into town, it's pretty far. Next time I'd stay closer to town and shop around a bit more before booking.

Room Tip: stay away from the street side
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. We understand that every guest has a different need for when they come to Key West and our hotel can accommodate all. We encourage people to call ahead and speak to us so that we can suggest what the best room types are for their vacation because all of our standard rooms have no view: they look out to the open air walkways, which is described on all of our websites and all hotel confirmations. We also offer complimentary hard wired internet in all of our rooms as well as free wifi in our lobby and our pool area. Both our good comments and our poor comments are appreciated and help us improve our four diamond hotel.