All reviewshot tubquality mattresssmall sandy areamicrowave and coffee makeractual roomfishnice dockgreat little placereasonable ratessmall hotela lovely stayclean poolboat ramplobster seasonlazy days restaurantkey westoverlooking the ocean
Reviewed May 5, 2011

This is the kind of quaint "Old Florida" hotel that barely exists anywhere anymore. It is clean, quaint, quiet, friendly, and perfectly located. I can not imagine a better place for a low-stress getaway. The patio, hot tub, boat ramp, and dock are all excellent. Beautiful natural surroundings, wildlife, and pet friendly. I took my kayak, bike, and my little fishing boat, and just unwound. Its convenient to the famous Bud and Mary's Marina by land and water. I really look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ISail_South
Reviewed May 1, 2011

We stayed two nights and the room smelled heavily of mold and there was mold on the ceiling above the bed. A used shampoo bottle was left in the bathroom. Dogs were running loose and doing their business in the sand. I like dogs a lot but loose/unfamilair dogs visiting us on our "private porch" at breakfast was just not appreciated. Very nice scenery but the place needs more TLC and upkeep.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank key53449
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Lovely spot on the south side of Islamorada. I'd characterize the Sands as a small, boutique hotel with all the extras thrown in. Pool, spa, pier for sunrise coffee and fishing. While it's right on US 1, I never heard the traffic. The room was lovely and clean and well-air conditioned. Minutes from great dinner and sport fishing locations.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Had two nights staying at the Sands and loved the experience. Very home-like place, rooms simple, super-clean. Kathy is a tremendous host - along with her husband. Very responsive from the first email through to providing advice when we stayed there. From the room, literally twenty steps and you are at the ocean. There is a jetty and the sunsets and sunrises are amazing. No restaurant = no problem as there is a terrific place just seven doors away - Lazy Days. Kathy will book and get you a great table - go for the terrace. Local sea food, freshest fish - and great steaks. If you are in Islamorada for fishing, charter with Rich Burson. Kathy can help out here as well. Sands is very quiet, very charming and a truly wonderful place. Enjoy. Charles L

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Charles L
Reviewed March 12, 2011

My husband and I just got back from our second stay at the Sands. The building itself is older, but you can tell the hotel is a labor of love for the managers. I couldn't believe how much had been done since last March! I love that it is a small quiet hotel where I can go to escape, yet it is so close to everything I want to do. Bob and Kathy were so welcoming and spent all day greeting guests and cleaning the grounds. It is clear that they want their guests to have the best experience possible! I can't wait to go back next year and see what else they have done.

• Stayed: March 2011