“"Comfortable and CLEAN"”

Sands of Islamorada Hotel
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed 9 March 2017

I have to say this was extremely clean, I am so impressed with the welcoming,comfortable cool room.
My husband and I stayed 2 nights and felt like we were the VIP guests... quiet and cozy...extremely clean. Great place for a couples get away.

Room Tip: Suite 19 or 18 they have ocean front views.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 February 2017

We checked in Sunday Feb 5, checked out Wednesday Feb 8. We just loved this cute little clean hotel with a dock for boating and watching the sunrise. When our plane was delayed, the manager called me and told me where to find the key when we arrived. On Tuesday morning I went to the office to inquire about renting a kayak the following morning. I was told by the female part of the couple who run the place (They never introduced themselves or wore name tags.) that "I could rent a tandem kayak on Wed. morning at 9:00, paddle around and check out at 11:00." I told her that would be perfect and would see her at 9:00 tomorrow. My sweetheart was elated to hear this as Wednesday would be her birthday and she was REALLY looking forward to kayaking that morning. 9:00 Wednesday morning I arrived at the office only to find a sign on the door indicating they would open at 10:00. I called the phone # posted and the woman answered. She indicated that they were on the way to Home Depot and would be back at 10:00 I told Cheryl about this and she suggested I look to see if the kayaks were unlocked "Maybe they left them available." They were still locked. A few minutes before Ten the couple returned, I went toward the office where I intercepted the woman who told me to "Go wait for her in the office." She apparently had to go yell at the cleaning person in Spanish. When she got to the office a few minutes later she tapped a few keys on her computer and frowned. She then said "The computer has locked you out because you are checking out today. I can't rent you a kayak." My response was "Maybe you could just come and unlock the boat....." Which prompted her to explain that "The System" wouldn't let her do that. A few moments later Cheryl came in and asked "It's my Birthday, can't we just pay you cash?" The male part of the couple came in and the woman started to explain Again about how the system........At which time I said "Save It." This triggered the man to VERY loudly and rudely tell Cheryl that he might have been able to call someone but was unwilling to do so because "Your husband had been rude."
In summary, 1) No apology for not honoring the agreement they had made. 2) No names, no name pins, no introductions adds up to NO repeat business! Avoid this hotel and save the agravation.

Room Tip: Go next door and get a room from professional hospitality providers.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank hughw226
Reviewed 11 February 2017

We stayed as a couple 4 nights booked on hotels.com. The listing was inaccurate since it confirmed a king but our large room had 2 doubles plus fridge+microwave. The room was spotless, the beds comfortable and the hotel is generally well-maintained. Fridge is a good size. No separate kitchen sink; dishes (which you must request) were washed in the bathroom (a little challenging). Housekeeping is also on a request basis. Gas BBQ"s available. Main likes: clean rooms and tidy grounds, pool and hot tub, good location. Free WiFi. Main dislikes: toilet position very awkward and no sink stopper (room 12), no swimmable beach but Anne's Beach is about 10 min. away. State parks nearby for walking/kayaking. Excellent nearby restaurants include Lazy Days and Midway Cafe. Particularly good for fishing enthusiasts; less so for young children.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2017

Very friendly & welcoming staff - great location to watch the sunrise right on the oceanfront. Immaculately clean and spacious accommodation with comfortable bed and great shower etc.

We had our own porch with chairs and a hammock with great sea view. The facilities were also top notch with a hot tub and swimming pool plus a nice jetty to walk out on.

I would definitely go back here!

Room Tip: Our suite was great - at the end of the buildings, ground floor with porch
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2017

We stayed at this hotel for one night. The room itself was a decent size with a refrigerator/freezer and microwave. It had a little bit of a musty smell but all in all it was clean.

Unfortunately, the air-conditioner sounded like a jet engine when it was running and we couldn't sleep with it on. We tried using the fan over the bed but it also made a loud noise and so we were stuck with keeping the air conditioner off until we began sweating in our sleep and then turning it on again only for enough time to cool the room off before having to shut it down so we could sleep without the noise. This truly was the loudest air conditioner I've ever heard.

This hotel has a bad practice of making photo copies of credit cards and keeping the copy in their office for 6 months. When I asked them why they needed to do this, they claimed that it was to protect them from customers who call their credit card company after checking out to decline the charge. Apparently, the hotel manager believes that her clientele are a bunch of thieves and that having a copy of the credit card proves that the guest stayed there. This is completely ridiculous and is actually a violation of PCI compliance. If someone broke into the hotel office they could grab all the credit card photocopies which are completely unsecured.

They don't need a copy of the credit card to prove I was there, they had also copied my drivers license which should have been sufficient. In addition, I had pre-paid for my room 3 1/2 months earlier so they already had the money!

I wouldn't recommend staying at this hotel. You have a good chance of getting your credit card hacked and not getting a good night sleep.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gl0baltraveler
Reviewed 6 February 2017 via mobile

We had a great stay here..very clean room and the area was very well maintained. Small refrigerator and AC in the room worked out nicely.
Kind of a retro feel to the whole place. Staff was very pleasant as well.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Sands for 4 nights. We were upgraded to Room 18 that had a beautiful porch with a hammock, chairs and a table where we really enjoyed having breakfast every morning and watching unbelievably beautiful sunsets. The room was functional and clean, not fancy but very cute and charming! The owner of the place was very helpful and nice. The only issue we had was with housekeeping. We asked one of the housekeepers for fresh towels, but they never came. On another day we left a tag asking for the room to be cleaned and it never happened. The room was really humid and our towels couldn't really dry. Also, the people above us liked smoking on their balcony and we could really smell the smoke from the room. The management might want to consider going smoke-free... These were the only minor
setbacks, but otherwise we had a lovely stay and will definitely come back! Thanks!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alex J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
0.2 km away
5.7 km away
Chesapeake Beach Resort
Chesapeake Beach Resort
#14 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Sands of Islamorada Hotel? Share your experiences!