“Fishermans Paradise! Great location for a meeting too!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Siesta Resort & Marina

La Siesta Resort & Marina
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Charleston, South Carolina
“Fishermans Paradise! Great location for a meeting too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I had a customer appreciation meeting at La Siesta Resort last May. We rented the 5 bedroom house and several of the beach front cottages and a few ocean front rooms. The accommodations were excellent and the staff there bent over backwards to make sure we had a great stay there. My customers who attended this "meeting" last year have asked me many times if we could do this trip again. I agreed and am calling La Siesta Resort as we speak in hopes of booking another meeting there. The downstairs area of the 5 bedroom house was perfect for a meeting with 10-20 attendees. BTW- the boat slips are first class and you are just minutes away from several of the greatest fishing spots in the Keys.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LasiestaGM, General Manager at La Siesta Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thank You so much for staying with us. I am very happy that your meeting went so well. We look forward to your return trip!

Dan Rutan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
florence
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We decided to relax a few days and spend 5 days here. It was perfect. The room was very nice size, nice livingroom with kitchen and a terrace facing the swimming pool, kids were so happy about that swimming pool. There you also have breakfast in the morning. Free parking and nice view on the ocean. We were happy to stay there.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hoteldali
Thank You so much for your great comments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to your return.

Woodstock, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and I spent Valenitines week and had a fantastic time, our room was clean and well looked after each day, the staff was freindly and the price was right, (we booked through Priceline). We enjoyed the retro feel of our very well appointed room and the view of the ocean is breathtaking. We found the whole resort (including the pool) to be kept very clean, there were no barking dogs or loud partiers. We enjoyed the local sights and the friendly atmosphere, see you next year!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for your nice comments Mark and thank you for staying with us.

See you next year,

Chesterfield, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

$239 for the worst room (which, of course I got) +12% tax + $18 resort fee. I'm not accustomed to the resort scene but doesn't that price sound like you'd get at least one star accommodations? Not a chance. I had reserved a room with an ocean view. The first room they gave me was so well hidden from the ocean that I may as well have been in a hostel in Tia Juana. When I asked about the ocean view, I was told there was an ocean view but I needed to walk to the end of the outdoor second floor walkway and look to the south! Sure enough, there was an ocean there. Fortunately the door to that unit wouldn't open and they moved us.

The room we were moved to backed to the swimming pool fence. The slat windows wouldn't close so I got to enjoy all the people drinking and laughing until late each night. We did get an ocean view with this room. Well, sort of. The room viewed the marina, which had no boats, just lots of wooden docks. Unfortunately, the couple in the connecting room had a dog that barked all day and night. I am disabled and asked for a handicap accessible room. The first room was up a flight of steep stairs. The second was at ground level but there was no parking within a 100 or so yards. They were kind enough to allow me to park in a "small crook by 4 stones." It wasn't a parking space, but it was only about 50 yards away. Draggging our luggage through the sand isn't as bad as it sounds. As an added note, I thought an ocean resort would have a beach. Ooops, no beach. It did have a 4 x 4 wooden platform you could use to jump into the water. Nice, huh? The room itself was retro from the 50's. There was no privacy because the window blinds were old and broken and anyone walking by could look in the room. I think the blinds were older than the framed photo hanging on the wall. There was actually, seriously, a black and white framed picture that had the date 1952 on it "The Four Sportsman". I think they were a quartet that was on the Jack Benny radio show (I'm aging myself) The hide-a-bed was old, stained, and worn out. The bedroom was almost big enough to accommodate the kingsize bed with 2 pillows about 12" x 12". Now that is funny. It looked like one throw pillow in a shieks tent! I really do try to be objective and look for good too. The flat screen TV worked, and the continental breakfast by the pool was very good! When I checked out (checking out is a must because that's when they hit you with the resort fee,) I wanted desparately to lodge my many complaints, but the folks checking out ahead of me were ripping on the poor clerk so much that I decided to show her mercy. My only advice to the clerk would be that in the future, don't ask the customer ...."How was your stay?" Just take their money and allow them to leave. It was very disappointing to us because we were celebrating the week of our anniversary and valentines day in the Florida keys.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you accept it. We wanted to leave and were told it was non-cancellable a...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VacationRatings
LasiestaGM, General Manager at La Siesta Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Thank you so much for your comments and for staying with us. I was able to research your stay and see that you had booked a Resort View room through Expedia.com. Those rooms do not have an ocean view and are not promised to have one through Expedia. I do see, however, that we upgraded you free of charge to a Beach Front Cottage. These cottages are both cute and charming and sit on our beach. I believe this may have been your first visit to the Florida Keys. The Keys are not known for their beaches. These are Coral Islands and while being in a Sub-Tropical climate you will not find beaches and swimming the way you would in , say, the Bahamas. That being said we do have a great beach and the Marina was empty as this is not the season folks bring their boats down. You will see a busy Marina in the summer months. I am told that at check out you had mentioned the barking dog. I am so sorry that you had to endure that. I only wish that you had made us aware during your stay prior to checking out as we would have taken care of it on the spot. The Keys are retro and have the look and feel of yesterday. This is what our guests come to expect and count on. We are very much like many other Resorts in the Keys. We do charge a Resort Fee, this is mentioned in your booking with Expedia. Our rates are on Par with the other Resorts and rise and fall with the season's and our occupancy levels. Our Front Desk does close at midnight and that is later than most of the Resorts of our size. We do strive to make everone happy and plan on continuing asking for feedback. I do hope you will give us another try.

Dan Rutan

Travellers are raving about these Islamorada hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

Very nice rooms. Lovely property. After a few days in Key West it was nice to stay somewhere a little more chill.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am so Happy that you enjoyed your stay!! Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to your next visit.

Lake Worth, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

My husband and I love to visit Islamorada and look for accomodations that are comfortable, clean, convenient, have modern amenities and have a bit of the Old Florida feel to them. La Siesta Resort fit the bill for us. We had an updated 1 bedroom suite overlooking the pool with a nice ocean view. The grounds were immaculately kept. The one disappointment I had with our room was the double beds that the staff insisted were queen size. Although comfortable, they were not queen size beds. I suggest the staff take a tape measure and be sure of what they are selling. Another little detail, there were no coffee filters supplied for the coffee pot. Would have been nice to have them in the cupboard. We enjoyed our balcony ocean views , the wif-fi and the bikes which we rode to the Green Turtle Inn. The $18 a day resort fee seems a bit steep. The location is great and within walking or biking to our favorite restaurants the Green Turtle and Lazy Days. We'll bring the family back with the boat next time. Just give me a true queen or king size bed.

1 Thank sunshinegal24
Thank You for your comments and I'm so glad that La Siesta fit the bill for your needs. There are some Double sized beds left and unfortunatly it would appear that you had one. We will work on that for sure, We Look Forward to your next stay.

Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Located at south end of islamorada. We walked in without reservation-were able to negotiate good rates. Met ppl there who got good rate on hotels.com Nice small resort. Not busy when we were there would hate to see it if full-not large enough for alot of ppl. Very pleasant front desk. Rooms a bit dated, but for this price, I'll take it. Bathrooms quite small. Cleanliness ok, not great. Kitchen has microwave, full frig, stove w 4 burners and oven. Our stove didn't work. Kichen utensils, plates, pots etc-a bit skimpy but ok for us-only 2ppl. Wouldn't be ok for 4 ppl. Bathtub didn't drain well enough-it was promptly fixed w a good fix. $18 daily utility charge covers free bikes and fishing poles. Nice dock and fish cleaning station w hoses and sink at dock. Small sand beach ( keys sand is rough), can get into Atlantic from it or jump off dock. Lovely to walk out onto sandy dock area and enjoy some peaceful time. Lounges are out there Continental breakfast at pool-muffins, pastries, bagel butter cream cheese coffee tea milk. Coffee and hot water always avail in front office. Has a few little bungalows available Oceanside, seperated from each other, each w own hammock out front-looked lovely, romantic, private. Has decent size pool w one side slopes so can walk in. Hot tub too. Pool and hot tub open 24/7. Our room layout a bit weird. Entered into bedroom then walked thru it to kitch/living room area. I think all rooms have balcony or patio. We enjoyed ours alot. In our unit balconies are private, seperated by walls, but connect just along balcony railing. Balcony doors do lock well. Balcony difficult to explain but privacy was well maintained. Grounds lit at night. Nice, small grounds. Nearby activities-kayak at Robbies( nice-mangroves and island w historical exploring), 1 and half hrs drive to key west-ok for day trip, about 1/2hr south-dolphin research center, turtle hospital. Restaurants-close is Lazy Days which is very good, very popular, huge portions, most dishes have breadcrumbs, scallions and tomatoes on them- felt like a huge Italian owned diner to me. We mostly ate at fish shacks-just great great great

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank neverstoptraveling
LasiestaGM, General Manager at La Siesta Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank You very muh for your comments and for staying with us. We will work hard on the issues that you have pointed out and will aim for you to have more than a wonderful stay on your next visit.