“Best Fishing Resort In FLORIDA!!”

Rainbow Bend Fishing Resort
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Miami, Florida
“Best Fishing Resort In FLORIDA!!”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My wife and I have been coming for years, the boats are sweet. My brother just bought me a room for a present, so STOKED!!! I fish all day and my wife relaxes all day after a hearty breakfast!! This is what the Key's is all about...All of the bad reviews on here are from the people that do not belong in the Key's to begin with!!!!

Room Tip: Get a Suite
1 Thank mmcicco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Polish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel has outsourced the reservations process to a 3rd party...the hotel doesn't do a great job keeping the 'inventory of rooms available' up to date....Hideaway Cafe (restaurant onsite) is owned and operated by someone else....and no one seems to be able or willing to talk or coordinate with each other. Our reservations were made well in advance...we received confirmation over a month ago....we checked in with the Resort Front desk a few days before only to find out that they had us booked for two rooms with twin beds w/o an ocean view instead of one King bed with an ocean view.....the only solution they offered was to come in 2 days early or take one of the rooms we mistakenly asigned to you....after a number of phone calls it was apparent that they must have more business than they think they need and we could either take it or leave it.....the indifferent attitude from the manager of the reservations firm (read as...I only take the reservations, I don't want to get involved)...the young desk clerk we were dealing with was absolutely clueless when it comes to customer relations...all of which or led me to believe that I should take the $2K we would have spent on this mini vacation and go elsewhere...a shame as for the last 5 years we've had it on our bucket list to try to stay there when our schedules allowed.....now after reading other reviews on the place it seems that cancelling was our good fortune...They just don't seem to care about their customers and the other negative reviews seems to indicate they don't care about the cleanliness of the rooms....I guess if you don't mind feeling like you're doing them a favor by staying there and lowering your standards it's an okay place....but I'll never be able to verify that first hand

Room Tip: go down the street to another hotel, B&B or Inn
1 Thank Dave M
Eighty Four, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We enjoyed our visit to Rainbow's Bend. It reminded me of an old fashioned motel. Our room was clean and had a nice little table, fridge, coffee pot, etc. Everything you could want. The beach is not for swimming, but it was still nice to sit and look out. I think if the room were fancy, we would not have spent as much time outside as we did, and that was the best part. We liked the grill area and the tables outside in various areas. The hot tub was hot and the pool was a little cool. Everyone was helpful and friendly. We didn't get to use the boats because it was way too windy, but I am sure that would have been fun. Watching the birds and pelicans that hung around waiting for a bit of ftish or bread was nice also. I think for the money , it was way worth it. We really enjoyed it, and the ride to Key West from Marathon was not bad at all. I didn't miss the Key West crowds at all!

Room Tip: We had a single, but friends had the suite which was bigger and very nice too.
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We arrived to Rainbow Bend resort and briefly placed our luggage in our room and spent the entire day at their beach, which was not bad! Upon returning to our room, we noticed that the room was really musty and had a moldy smell to it. The sheets felt damp from the moisture in the air. Upon further inspection, I found stains on my sheets. The bathroom was filthy and had a plethora of mold and rust everywhere. I don't mind staying somewhere a little rustic, which Rainbow Bend was, but there's no excuse for being dirty. We promptly checked out and moved to the Hampton Inn in Key Largo which I highly recommend! We were supposed to stay 4 nights, and were charged for 2 nights stay. At almost $200 a night, I expected at least a tidy, well-kept room.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom units are nicer!
1 Thank Diana R
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I had my wedding here in January and the place was the best, I would have never picked a better place. We had aboyt 30 people attend our wedding and everuone loved the atmosphere and how keyse it was just what we were looking for!!!! Me and my family stayed here about a week and loved every min of it. The manger was very nice about what we could do on the beach, the dock hands where very good to us in every way!!!! The breakfast was great and the boats where just a bonus. Yoy cant beat the gas prices!!! The rooms where veru nice and not to pricey. If anuone is looking for a nice keyse place to have a wedding this would be the place!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
travelop
Reviewed 20 March 2012

This is not a resort that offers poolside bar and extremely nice rooms but for a family traveling with pets and needing extra sleeping space- and a true beach vacation- it's perfect. We booked last minute so we had to change rooms during our stay and the staff was ready to help move from one unit to the other. We started in "C" an two bedroom 11/2 bath unit upstairs. THe view was perfect along with a balcony. ONe night we used the grill for steaks ( we bought charcoal and food from nearby Publix) The unit had pots and pans to cook veggies and pasta. The kitchen is basic but has everything you need. The hotel supplied the soap, cups, mugs, plates coffee maker, etc... THey gave us clean white new looking towels every day. THey were wonderful with the dog too. The office has a little store for beer, sodas ice etc.. The 2 tv;s are small but work and hey- are you there to watch tv or be on the beach, pool and water?? We used the pool and hot tub but with a family of 4 (Including big kids) we opted to rent a big boat from Tropical Boat rentals for the day ($200) and fished, snorkled/dive in both the Atlantic and Gulf instead of using the 12 and 15 ft little boats. For children they also have free use of paddle boats and small kayaks- my teenage boys had a blast. This is a very casual and low key resort but we loved it. We had the free breakfast (7:30-9:30_ all 3 the mornings) The earlier you arrive - the better the service. 7:30 we had a hot breakfast immediately served. THe 9 am times took longer but who is in a hurry when you are on vacation? One morning, they gave us the kids breakfast to go so they could sleep in. THe kids heated it up in the microwave. The third morning, two of the staff didn't show but they did a great job we just served our own coffee :) The choices for free breakfast are pancakes, cereal and fruit, french toast, or two eggs and bacon and homefries. If that doesn't suit you, you can order off the menu and pay. The restaurant for dinner is expensive but very good and it is always busy. One night they had a wait which is why I would not book a room by the office (B) We heard guests talking outside our door and in the morning, people making their plans for the day- right outside our bedroom window. We had no problems with smell or cleanliness and the whicker furniture in both unit C and B looked newly covered. We will come back and have already recommended it to friends. It's "old Keys" style rental and a very casual feel. If you are looking for a "hotel" experience- look else where. if you are looking for a family, casual place with full working kitchenette to keep your drinks cold, make lunches, leave a pet in the room unattended, chill by the beach or pool, watch the water and relax- this a perfect spot.

Room Tip: Look at the site map- choose a room away from the office and kitchen- like upstairs room C balcony w...
Addison, Texas
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We chose this place because it offered free boats. The wind howled at 30 mph + for two days and we didn't get to see a boat, much less use one. (No discount for not getting to use a boat). The rooms were musty, smelled of previous smokers' use and had water collecting under the paint from the A/C condensate. The cable TV and internet worked well but the furniture had to be rejects from Value City or some other cheap discounter (maybe Goodwill as another reviewer pointed out). I am by no means crippled, but would sink so low in the couch, someone would have to help pull me up. A beanbag would have worked better. The breakfast was okay if you are not in a hurry but one couple sitting near us waited much longer than we did without getting served.

This place is past due being leveled and a decent place erected. Surprised it has survived as long as it has.

Don't waste your money here. Go ahead and spend the extra money on Hampton or Hilton and pay for your own boat.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
15.5 km away
Amara Cay Resort
Amara Cay Resort
#6 of 19 in Islamorada
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,293 reviews

Been to Rainbow Bend Fishing Resort? Share your experiences!