“Wonderful vacation and diving experience in Marathon FL”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marathon
Marathon Key Beach Club
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Wonderful vacation and diving experience in Marathon FL”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed at MKBC on an Interval exchange in October 2011. Luckily, we had 101A, the best room in the resort as it is closest to the water, overlooking the Banana Bay Resort marina. While not fancy, the 2b/2b condo was clean and we had everything we needed, including a washer/dryer right in the condo and reliable Internet. The grounds were well kept, but the giant yellow speed bumps are the world's largest. Go slow! The master bath is shower only (tub in 2nd bath) and very tight. Big king size bed! Best restaurants: Hurricane ($5 lunch specials until 4 p.m. and Key Fisheries (best food and atmosphere). Best dive shop: Tildens (look for the big blue fish).

Room Tip: Ask for the Angelfish building (closest to the water, farthest from Oversears Hwy)
Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Linda W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

I am spending my last night of a week-long stay at the MKBC. This is my first visit. I am here on an RCI trade. I have to say, this is a great place. If you want a five-star facility, then I would travel somewhere other than the Keys, although there are a few here.

I arrived late on Saturday and the office was closed, but they left the keys and resort information in the mailbox for me, and I checked in on Monday (office closed on Sunday). This is a small resort (20 2 bedroom condos in 5 buildings) but has a great pool and hot tub, tiki bar, marina with boat slips and great sunset views. Easy walking distance to grocery stores and a couple of restaurants. I am moving down the street to the Reef at Marathon tommorow on another RCI trade (review to follow).

One of the best breakfast restaurants in Marathon (Stuffed Pig is a couple of blocks away. The Hurricane (decent cheap food, including 25 cent wings, and excellent musical entertainment) is next door, as is the Barricuda Grill. I ate there one night and it was very good. I had the crispy duck (half a duck cooked Peking Style). There is a bus that will take you to Key West that runs several times a day and stops just past the Stuffed Pig. It is $4 each way or $25 for a seven day pass. Takes you right down town near Duval Street. You can go anywhere on Marathon in a taxi for about 4 or 5 dollars. Last run back leaves Key West about 10 p.m.

The staff at MKBC were wonderful. Very friendly and supportive. The units are very well appointed, with a master bedroom with a king bed and full bath, and a smaller bedroom with two twin beds and a full bath. The kitchen has a small breakfast table with four chairs. The living/dining area has a full sized 6 chair dining table, sofa( queen sleeper), love seat, recliner, tables, entertainment center and flat screen TV. Full sized washer and dryer in the unit. Plenty of towels including 6 pool towels. Screened balcony with four top table and chairs, accessible from living room and master bedroom.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay. Everything you need for a great vacation is included. The office gave me the name of a guy who delivered bicycles for rent at $35 for the entire week. Great biking town.

I highly recommend: Turtle Hospital tour, Crane Point Hammock, Pigeon Key, Stuffed Pig for breakfast, Barracuda Grill, Hurricane and Brass Monkey for entertainment, Sunset Grill, & 7-Mile Grill, Sharky's Landing, and Marathon Community Theatre if they have a show.

Room Tip: A building is closest to the water, but they are all geat.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank RUtraveller
Oceanside, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

This is a timeshare resort - don't know if they rent to the public. We used a timeshare exchange in January 2011 to stay in a two-bedroom, two-bath, 2nd floor condo in the "B" Bldg. at Marathon Key Beach Club. It is located at a bay marina on the Gulf of Mexico in Marathon, Florida Keys. The condo was dated but clean and very sufficient with a full kitchen, dishwasher, washer & dryer, and plenty of parking. One covered parking space under the building; pretty much unlimited parking spaces out in the open, so you can have more than one car per condo. The screened-in balcony provides awesome views and keeps the pesky Florida bugs out - although we didn't see any in January. The grounds were beautiful and there is a very nice BBQ area with tables.The personnel were always friendly. When we called the office to let them know our blender did not work very good, it was promptly replaced with a new one.

Guests are entitled to use the pool, tiki bar and restaurant at the adjacent Banana Bay Resort, which usually included nightly entertainment. Fun place! Beyond the marina (where many people were docked in their very large yachts) is a very small sandy area with a couple of lounge chairs but not a good area for ocean swimming. There are boats, jet skis, kayaks, etc. for rent. We rented a boat for 1/2 day and now know what it is like to navigate a boat on the ocean. A lot more to it than we knew about! We went through some of the many channels to get from the gulf side to the Atlantic Ocean and back - great experience, saw many beautiful homes and yachts, but keep your eyes on that depth finder! There is a diving area near the lighthouse about 5 miles out on the Atlantic Ocean. Found it not very suitable for snorkeling. The weather was nice most of the week we were there the second week in January, although we had a very cold day in Key West when the weather changed for a day or two. Never know about winter weather in Florida, but sure beats the miserable summer months.

The location is great for grocery stores, restaurants (especially the Sunset Grille!), bars (Banana Bay Cabana Tiki Bar, Salty's Bar & Marina, Sparky's Landing at Key Colony - to name a few), beaches (be sure to stop at Veterans Memorial Park - south of Marathon), walks on the old highway bridge near the Sunset Grille, beautiful sunsets, and only about an hour to Key West. We had a wonderful vacation and can't wait to go back!

Cons: No housekeeping service provided
No elevators - several flights of stairs to climb
Not a good beach for swimming

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank retiredatlast57
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

This place is great just don't understand why such a great place would have such awful beds and bedding. If they would update their beds like the hampton inn or something it would be awesome. It is spacious with a great view and terrific location. Everything is awesome except the beds.
The washer and dryer are full sized and work great - just a bit noisy.
Oh well - who knows what they'll do next year....hopeful!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Hotel_Reporter
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

A very enjoyable place to stay. It was very affordable and I would recommend it to travelers in need of several bedrooms or an efficiency unit. For us, it's location made it ideal as a central base for staying in the Keys.

The grounds were very tropical. My family stayed in the building closest to the water, which has a nice view of the Marina and the Gulf of Mexico. We liked the fact that there are boats, kayak's and wave runner rentals on the premises.

My family's stay was very pleasant. The unit offered a fully equipped kitchen, an a dining room. This allowed us to cook at home and save money. It was a large apartment. We looked into staying at Tranquilty Bay, which is beautiful, but they were asking for nearly double the price. For my family, MKBC offered us a very affordable place to stay. My only negative would be that the kitchen was a little dated in appearance, however, it was no big deal, the place had all the requirements we were looking for. It also has a washer and dryer. In speaking with the management during my stay, I learned that MKBC is a Timeshare development, so I was happy that they allowed visitors the opportunity to rent their units.

Regards,
Mary

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ILove2teachNYC
Bluffton, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

We were very disappointed in this resort. The mattress and pillows were in very bad shape and we had to wash the linens before we could sleep in the bed. The towels were worn and stained. The carpeting which looked like it was the original from the 80's was disgustingly dirty. The whole unit was so dirty and dated it was unlivable. The staff was friendly but that really doesn't help matters when things are so bad. The one and only tennis court was cracked and dirty. This was a Marriott exchange week through Interval International. They should both be ashamed to have this type of resort in their portfolios.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rita311
Melbourne, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

We loved out stay here. I traveled with my husband and 27 year old daughter. We stayed here with an exchange through Interval Intl. We had made arrangements for a late check-in on Saturday night and it went perfectly. We flew into Miami and rented a car, that we used throughout the week. We stayed in Room E101. The decor is older, think Golden Girls - 1985, but the couch and loveseat is brand new. Everything was clean and spacious and suited out needs perfectly. This was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo with full kitchen and laundry facilities in the unit. The parking is under the unit, so the car stays in the shade, but is tight parking unless you have a small car. The units have screened in patios with a ceiling fan that made it very comfortable. There is a small table and chairs, plus a couple of ottomans for lounging on the patio. There is also a formal dining area, as well as a breakfast nook. We are terrible though and generally eat in front of the TV. We had a TV and DVD player in the living room. The master bedroom had a king size bed and a TV also. The second bedroom had twin beds. There is also a sleeper sofa, so the unit sleeps 6. I love gardening and I loved the tropical landscaping of the resort. Lots of palm trees and other tropical flowering plant. Just what I came to see in South Florida.

The resort was very quiet the whole time we were there, but this is considered off season for the keys. MKBC has a small beach area that we enjoyed daily. I am not a beach swimmer, but I did see some other guests snorkeling or just putting their beach loungers in the shallow water and just hanging out. We kept our chairs in the shade of the palm trees and just sat back and relaxed and read and watched the world go by. The beach is attached to a new marina, so it is interesting to see all the variety of boats, from jetskis to yachts.

MKBC shares a pool and other facilities with Banana Bay Resort. It has very nice surroundings, but we only used it when my husband wanted to hook up to their WiFi. MKBC currently does not have WiFi access. I would be thrilled if they added it to their amenities. The WiFi access at Banana Bay was iffy. Sometimes we could connect and other times not. The Banana Bay Lobby had a computer with Internet Access and Printer that we used for Airline check-in and printing our boarding passes. We also enjoyed the Tiki Bar for Cocktails at the pool. There is a great area for barbecueing. There are individual tiki hut cabanas with picnic tables and individual charcoal grills.

The office has DVD's to borrow, as well as jigsaw puzzles and games. I thought this was a very nice touch.

Since the unit had a full kitchen we shopped and I cooked most breakfasts at home. We also bought cheese, crackers and wine for enjoying during our stay. I will list the restaurants we dined at and will post individual reviews on their sites. We also spent a couple of days at Key West so some restaurants are in that area.
1. We ate at Stuffed Pig the first morning, then went grocery shopping for the rest of the week.
2. Sparky's Landing- Loved it, ate there twice. Key Colony
8. Hog's Breath Saloon - Key West
9. Southernmost Beach Cafe - Key West
10 Pizza Hut - Marathon
11. Alabama Jack's - Key Largo

To end this review, I would definitely stay here again. But I just need to figure out how I can live in the keys permanently. I want to thank all tripadvisor commenters for giving me all these great suggestions on places to eat.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Debbie_Harold
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
2.0 km away
The Hammocks at Marathon
#8 of 17 in Marathon
1.6 km away
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Marathon Key Beach Club? Share your experiences!