Marathon Key Beach Club
US$127
US$369
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys(Marathon)(Great Value!)
US$192
US$179
Hyatt.com
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina(Marathon)(Great Value!)
US$159
Hotels.com
US$161
US$135
US$203
US$167
Travelocity
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys(Marathon)(Great Value!)
US$179
  • Pool
All reviewsgulf of mexicomarathon keybanana baytime sharewasher and dryerbarracuda grillhot tubkey westpicnic tablesfull kitchenpool areaceiling fantiki hutsombrero beachtimesharescreenedoffice
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I am spending my last night of a week-long stay at the MKBC. This is my first visit. I am here on an RCI trade. I have to say, this is a great place. If you want a five-star facility, then I would travel somewhere other than the Keys, although there are a few here.

I arrived late on Saturday and the office was closed, but they left the keys and resort information in the mailbox for me, and I checked in on Monday (office closed on Sunday). This is a small resort (20 2 bedroom condos in 5 buildings) but has a great pool and hot tub, tiki bar, marina with boat slips and great sunset views. Easy walking distance to grocery stores and a couple of restaurants. I am moving down the street to the Reef at Marathon tommorow on another RCI trade (review to follow).

One of the best breakfast restaurants in Marathon (Stuffed Pig is a couple of blocks away. The Hurricane (decent cheap food, including 25 cent wings, and excellent musical entertainment) is next door, as is the Barricuda Grill. I ate there one night and it was very good. I had the crispy duck (half a duck cooked Peking Style). There is a bus that will take you to Key West that runs several times a day and stops just past the Stuffed Pig. It is $4 each way or $25 for a seven day pass. Takes you right down town near Duval Street. You can go anywhere on Marathon in a taxi for about 4 or 5 dollars. Last run back leaves Key West about 10 p.m.

The staff at MKBC were wonderful. Very friendly and supportive. The units are very well appointed, with a master bedroom with a king bed and full bath, and a smaller bedroom with two twin beds and a full bath. The kitchen has a small breakfast table with four chairs. The living/dining area has a full sized 6 chair dining table, sofa( queen sleeper), love seat, recliner, tables, entertainment center and flat screen TV. Full sized washer and dryer in the unit. Plenty of towels including 6 pool towels. Screened balcony with four top table and chairs, accessible from living room and master bedroom.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay. Everything you need for a great vacation is included. The office gave me the name of a guy who delivered bicycles for rent at $35 for the entire week. Great biking town.

I highly recommend: Turtle Hospital tour, Crane Point Hammock, Pigeon Key, Stuffed Pig for breakfast, Barracuda Grill, Hurricane and Brass Monkey for entertainment, Sunset Grill, & 7-Mile Grill, Sharky's Landing, and Marathon Community Theatre if they have a show.

Room Tip: A building is closest to the water, but they are all geat.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank RUtraveller
Reviewed March 18, 2011

This is a timeshare resort - don't know if they rent to the public. We used a timeshare exchange in January 2011 to stay in a two-bedroom, two-bath, 2nd floor condo in the "B" Bldg. at Marathon Key Beach Club. It is located at a bay marina on the Gulf of Mexico in Marathon, Florida Keys. The condo was dated but clean and very sufficient with a full kitchen, dishwasher, washer & dryer, and plenty of parking. One covered parking space under the building; pretty much unlimited parking spaces out in the open, so you can have more than one car per condo. The screened-in balcony provides awesome views and keeps the pesky Florida bugs out - although we didn't see any in January. The grounds were beautiful and there is a very nice BBQ area with tables.The personnel were always friendly. When we called the office to let them know our blender did not work very good, it was promptly replaced with a new one.

Guests are entitled to use the pool, tiki bar and restaurant at the adjacent Banana Bay Resort, which usually included nightly entertainment. Fun place! Beyond the marina (where many people were docked in their very large yachts) is a very small sandy area with a couple of lounge chairs but not a good area for ocean swimming. There are boats, jet skis, kayaks, etc. for rent. We rented a boat for 1/2 day and now know what it is like to navigate a boat on the ocean. A lot more to it than we knew about! We went through some of the many channels to get from the gulf side to the Atlantic Ocean and back - great experience, saw many beautiful homes and yachts, but keep your eyes on that depth finder! There is a diving area near the lighthouse about 5 miles out on the Atlantic Ocean. Found it not very suitable for snorkeling. The weather was nice most of the week we were there the second week in January, although we had a very cold day in Key West when the weather changed for a day or two. Never know about winter weather in Florida, but sure beats the miserable summer months.

The location is great for grocery stores, restaurants (especially the Sunset Grille!), bars (Banana Bay Cabana Tiki Bar, Salty's Bar & Marina, Sparky's Landing at Key Colony - to name a few), beaches (be sure to stop at Veterans Memorial Park - south of Marathon), walks on the old highway bridge near the Sunset Grille, beautiful sunsets, and only about an hour to Key West. We had a wonderful vacation and can't wait to go back!

Cons: No housekeeping service provided
No elevators - several flights of stairs to climb
Not a good beach for swimming

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank retiredatlast57
Reviewed January 7, 2011

This place is great just don't understand why such a great place would have such awful beds and bedding. If they would update their beds like the hampton inn or something it would be awesome. It is spacious with a great view and terrific location. Everything is awesome except the beds.
The washer and dryer are full sized and work great - just a bit noisy.
Oh well - who knows what they'll do next year....hopeful!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Hotel_Reporter
Reviewed August 4, 2010

A very enjoyable place to stay. It was very affordable and I would recommend it to travelers in need of several bedrooms or an efficiency unit. For us, it's location made it ideal as a central base for staying in the Keys.

The grounds were very tropical. My family stayed in the building closest to the water, which has a nice view of the Marina and the Gulf of Mexico. We liked the fact that there are boats, kayak's and wave runner rentals on the premises.

My family's stay was very pleasant. The unit offered a fully equipped kitchen, an a dining room. This allowed us to cook at home and save money. It was a large apartment. We looked into staying at Tranquilty Bay, which is beautiful, but they were asking for nearly double the price. For my family, MKBC offered us a very affordable place to stay. My only negative would be that the kitchen was a little dated in appearance, however, it was no big deal, the place had all the requirements we were looking for. It also has a washer and dryer. In speaking with the management during my stay, I learned that MKBC is a Timeshare development, so I was happy that they allowed visitors the opportunity to rent their units.

Regards,
Mary

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ILove2teachNYC
Reviewed January 18, 2010

We were very disappointed in this resort. The mattress and pillows were in very bad shape and we had to wash the linens before we could sleep in the bed. The towels were worn and stained. The carpeting which looked like it was the original from the 80's was disgustingly dirty. The whole unit was so dirty and dated it was unlivable. The staff was friendly but that really doesn't help matters when things are so bad. The one and only tennis court was cracked and dirty. This was a Marriott exchange week through Interval International. They should both be ashamed to have this type of resort in their portfolios.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple