“OLD, DIRTY, BUG INFESTED.....”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marathon
Marathon Key Beach Club
Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Where do I begin..
Checked in on Saturday. Was given a two bedroom on the second floor, (which is actually the third floor cause the place has underground parking). No elevator. We had to carry all of our luggage, beach stuff, etc up two flights of stairs. Do not think of this place if you are handicapped.....
The rooms were just so old fashioned. The furniture is from the 80's. The king bed in the master was an old box type with springs. Second bedroom, two twin beds, same thing.
The two bathrooms....where do I begin. The tubs were rotted out. Sink would not drain, the shower head ( or lack of one) didn't give any water pressure at all. Kitchen, old, dated appliances. Refrigerator was SO LOUD.. the screened in balcony, which faced nothing but the tree tops, had holes in the screens, so we couldn't sit out there.
After hauling our stuff up the stairs, I of course, checked the bed for bed bugs. All I found were a few small caterpillar looking things on the pancake like pillows. I killed them, at least one day with no bugs. The following night, I was noticing in bed that there were some bugs flying around the lights. Well after a few minutes, a few flies turned into a swarm...and I mean a swarm !
The office closes at 5:30 and is not open at all on Sundays. So we killed what we could and slept (or tried to sleep with one eye open looking for flies) n the second bedroom. Monday we went to the office, with pictures of all the bugs, live and dead...the girl behind the desk was Crystal. She knew all about the bugs. They were infested with TERMITES !!
She said the bug man came on Saturday and will return next Saturday. I asked to be moved to a different room. She said they were booked solid. I asked if SHE WOULD LET HER FAMILY STAY IN THAT ROOM...her answer...NO...and she walked away.
I think the whole property was far from being booked solid. Late at night, we saw very few cars parked there.
So off we went back to the room, killed more baby termites on our pillows, killed a few more termites every night. during the day found those baby termites on our pillows. and by the fifth day, I couldn't take it anymore, so we left....
They state they have sandy, beach on the premises. We couldn't find it and no one there seemed to know anything about it. They also share their pool with the resort next door. The pool needed cleaning. The walls of the pool were slimed. There were pieces of those foam noodles floating everywhere.
We had to pay a $25 resort fee. Never had to pay that before...
If they knew they were infested with termites, why on Earth did they put people in those rooms? Oh my goodness......
Good things about this place....the internet worked.
Places like this should be evaluated before being given ratings. I know many people like this place, but once I saw the bugs, that was a bad sign of things to come...

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoJo676

Reviewed 11 May 2017

Grounds and rooms are great.....pool area exceptional. Excellent service from the staff. Very close to some great restaurants and shopping. Most assuredly a place I would stay at again and highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2017

We exchanged our time share week via II for the Marathon Key Beach Club, February 25th to March 6th, 2017. We were assigned Unit C202 which had a beautiful view of the marina and bay from our screened-in patio. There are 5 identical buildings, each with four 2-bedroom units. We were fortunate to be assigned a unit on the 2nd floor giving us the view which I mentioned.

We arrived after the office was already closed but Terry, one of the grounds staff, told us where we could pick up our keys and welcome package. He proved to be very helpful and efficient with a few maintenance items that needed to be resolved.

The unit was clean and in decent condition with ample bedding, towels, and kitchen supplies. A kitchen ceiling bulb was out and the main bathroom exhaust fan didn’t work but Terry took care of them quickly after I reported the issues to the office. The phones never worked, but we used our cell phones when necessary. The free Internet was the fastest I’ve experienced in any hotel or accommodations. The cable TVs were not very intuitive to use but worked reasonably well once we figured them out. There was a DVD player which we didn’t use.

The air-conditioning worked well, but we only used it a couple of times. The bedroom and porch ceiling fans were adequate most of the time. No ceiling fan in the living room/dining room for some reason.

The kitchen was well-equipped but we were somewhat surprised that there weren’t more plates and utensils. We discovered on the last day that housekeeping hadn’t removed the clean dishes and utensils from the dish washer from the previous guests!

The washer and dryer were a great convenience, though you have to provide your own detergent. There was dishwashing detergent but no sponge to do dishes by hand so we bought our own.

We used the pool a couple of times. Very large, very clean, and well maintained. We didn’t have a chance to use the hot tub but other guests seem to be enjoying it.

Parking is on ground level in assigned spaces. I found it easier to back in due to limited room to maneuver. Be aware that you must carry your luggage up at least 1 flight of exterior steps as there is no elevator. This could be a problem for some folks.

You might want to strike up a conversation with some of the boaters who moor in the marina for months at a time. Very interesting stories.

Barracuda Grill, excellent (and pricey) restaurant right nearby. Good farmer’s market next door as well.

Room Tip: 2nd floor in units A, B, or C provide the best views
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan M
Reviewed 5 February 2017

The pool is huge and they let you use the hot tub until 10pm. Has a tiki bar with limited selection but is not always staffed. There is a marina outback and we had an opportunity to observe some manatees at a very short distance(4 feet!) Overall good place and the staff is accomodating.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Dennismc2
Reviewed 7 January 2017

Stayed here for one week with family. The grounds were very nice outside and well kept. There is a water front area but no actual beach to lay on...we would go to Sombrero beach or drive down to the beach on Key West. Pool area and interior were kept clean but could definitely use some updating. Overall my parents preferred this location compared to a hotel they stayed in Key West the week before because it was more relaxed and quiet. If you are looking for more night life I would recommend staying much closer to Key West.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank natasha s
Reviewed 22 April 2016 via mobile

This was our second time here. We really like it but the condos really need updating. I wouldn't say it was dirty but it's not my level of clean. Several thing didn't work properly like our blinds going out to the screened in balcony, my husband had to open and shut them by hand the pulleys didn't work. Definitely need new bedroom mattresses it's like sleeping on a hard board and every time you move they make tons of noise. The pool is very run down it could use a good cleaning. The pool guy came once while we were there he poured 3 big containers of chlorine in the pool and left. It looks like the hotel banana bay which also shares the pool is trying to fix things up. The grounds are very nicely kept and the views are incredible. The best place to see the sunset. We don't spend that much time inside to be that upset about the condo but it would be nice to see some updates.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kimberly C
Reviewed 10 January 2016 via mobile

My husband and I came down to stay here with my parents, who are a part of the timeshare option here. We were so pleasantly surprised with the property. Sure the decor is slightly outdated, but everything there is pretty well maintained. The property itself is gorgeous and very neatly laid out. There are lots of cool walking paths and it's easy to drive and park. We trailored our 17 foot Hobie fishing kayak on our Excursion and were able to park without a problem, which is rather impressive, especially in the Florida Keys. There was no additional fee to park your trailor or use the boat ramp. They have a nice little marina with a boat ramp you can drop into. Since there is no fishing/lobstering in an active harbor you can see plenty of sealife off the docks and will definitely see lobster. The grounds are well landscaped. The pool and jacuzzi are excellent!!! The pool is huge! The beds could afford an upgrade, but they are definitely tolerable. You have everything you need in the unit to relax, make dinners and enjoy paradise from your screened in balcony. The location is pretty centrally located in Marathon with easy access to everything. It's definitely a little gem in paradise worth staying at.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Lauren M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
2.2 km away
18.9 km away
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key

Been to Marathon Key Beach Club? Share your experiences!