“Why stay in a hotel when you can stay here?”

Palm Lakefront Resort and Hostel
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Why stay in a hotel when you can stay here?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

I spend my first night in Orlando in an expensive $167 hotel up by UCF. A Marriot. This was due to bad planning not choice! Palm Lakefront was $21 a night, you had the atmosphere of everyone cooking and eating and talking together. Sure the Marriot had a comfier big bed and a TV and it was to yourself...but would I ever pay $146 more for that?!? HELL NO! Palm Lakefront had really friendly staff who have good local knowledge and sit down and watch TV with their guests. When I returned to Orlando after a weeks trip down to Tampa area this was the first place I called for somewhere to stay. Sure its basic (its $21, were you expecting a 5 star???) and there will most likely be other people in your room (on my return to Orlando I got 3 nights in a room on my own so it can happen) but you have everything you need there - bed, bathroom, they provide clean sheets and towels and the rooms are cleaned daily, cooking facilities (only downer was the oven wasn't working), TV, eating area, swimming pool with sun bathing chairs, parking space right beside rooms, basketball hoop and even a wee sitting area right over (literally) the lake. Also, directly over the road there are plenty of shops and bars, including Publix and Super Target (which was amazing!).

Unrelated to the hostel the local bus system is shocking. It's fine if you just want to get to Disney, it is perfect for that, but if you want to go anywhere else it is easily the worst bus system I have ever experienced! It took me 6 1/2 hours to get from the Marriot in UCF area to this hostel in Kissimmee, then I had an evening at Waterford which took me 4 1/2 hours to get to with a 1 hour walk after that in the heat, on the way back I got a lift to the Orlando central bus station to find that the last bus had left at 8:30! USELESS! I had to spend $46 getting a taxi back to the hostel. Also on return to Orlando I had to figure out another route from Amtrak station to hostel cos the bus that would've taken me most of the way goes out of operation at 7:25! This meant getting 3 different buses and praying each one was still running when I arrived at their stops! Not impressive but thats a downgrading on the local transport system not the hostel. Just hire a car, don't rely on the buses unless you're just going to Disney.

Great hostel, not so great bus system. Hire a car in future!

Room Tip: Ask for a room of your own, they may have one :)
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

The best part of this Resort is what I referred to its intangibles! The quality of services is better than a Concierge at a FIVE star resort and the caring about people which is exemplified by the owner Aaron and his staff headed by Jackie all the way down to the owner's dog Tiffany, who I refer to as the doggy vacuum cleaner. I am an Unemployed American Expatriate looking for a nice reasonably price place to stay, while looking for work and found it here at Palm Lakefront Resort. However, this place is geared manly to foreigners who come to the US looking to get their best bang for their dollar. You meet many interesting people from all around the globe. There is a nice common area with a fully equipped large restaurant type kitchen where you can cook your own meals, and store food and drinks in a refrigerator. If you don't feel like using the stove you can use one of the two microwaves and there are two computers where you can use to surf on the internet and a dinning room area with a TV. Also back on the porch area is a small gym, a DVD player to watch movies and in the backyard a beautiful lake to view and a swimming pool along with barbeques and picnic tables. All in all a ‘Wonderful” family style atmosphere is created by the owner Aaron

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2011

The place in itself is quite nice. However, It is full of (Very unfriendly) down and out drifters living there. The desk is not 24 hours (but the man that works there is lovely) and the place is filthy. The maid service didn't come once the whole time i was there even though I requested it.
Unless you are traveling solo, I recommend staying in a hotel as they are the same price as the hostels in this area.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Wyncote, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2011

Palm lakefront is a great place to stay. It's just in front of a lake (as the name says) that's lovely!
People are really friendly, especially Aaron, the owner. He always has good tricks and tips about the city and even about EVERYTHING you can ask him for! He helped us to buy a car, and now we can travel thanks to him!
Thank you so much for all that you've done!
We definitely recommend this hostel for anyone who is traveling around Orlando!

The French Cousins!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank thec0usins
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

Okay firstly I only stayed here because I needed somewhere cheap to stay to visit the theme parks! I only paid $10 a night which is excellent considering what the resorts charge!! The manager was nice, I've read differently, and helpful to my requests- such as checking in at 130am.

He also organised a cheap shuttle for a few of us to go to Universal Studios for around $10 return, which saved me much hassle with buses and so forth- as the hostel is quite far from the theme parks....you really need a car to get around.

The actual hostel is very basic, and the bathroom was quite small and unclean. The kitchen was big enough but digusting and didn't look like it has been cleaned properly. The whole place seemed rundown and shabby. Though if you just need somewhere to basically sleep and eat to go to the theme parks and are on a tight budget, it's a good place!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Simon255100
Preston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

Awful hostel. Seemed to be only one man working there, very unfriendly. Grunted when I went to shake his hand. Rubbish everywhere, saw trollies full of rubbish in one room. Swimming pool was closed due to 'hazardous chemicals'. Everything very run down, location not good. The toilets also overflowed and the communal area smelt very bad. I travelled with my twin sister and we did not feel safe there at all. We didn't even spend one night there, we paid and then left to go and stay at another hostel. Would not recommend one bit.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2010

When I came here, there was thunderstorms and I was carrying about 3 stone in weight on a backpacker excursion. I had a pleasant welcome and some of the unique characters I met while staying there was great. However, I do have a number of gripes which involve the kitchen area mainly due to a lack of cleaning, but, that may have been due to a few untidy guests.

Even though the beds and hostel was a good clean stay, I felt as though there wasn't alot to do and getting to attractions without a vehical was a challenge in itself. Worth a visit but not a prolonged stay in my book.

Unique Qualities: STAFF FRIENDLY,

NICE VIEW OF THE LAKE OUT BACK.

RIGHT IN MIDDLE OF KISSIMEE - DIFFICULT TO GET ANYWHERE THOUGH.

NO LOCKOUTS AND NO CURFUE EXCEPT FOR CHECK IN