“HORRIFIC experience”

Ranked #35 of 153 Hotels in Kissimmee
Palmyra, Missouri
“HORRIFIC experience”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Some time at the end of March 2012 I booked a reservation through www.bookit.com (ID #16910845). This reservation was for flights for myself and 2 children (ages 4 and 6), five nights hotel at the Champions World Resort, transfers to and from the airport, three Buy a 3 Day Magic Your Way Ticket PLUS 2 FREE DAYS tickets (1 adult and 2 children), and all applicable taxes.
On May 22, 2012, we flew United Airlines from St. Louis, Missouri (STL) to Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and then from Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to Orlando, Florida (MCO). From there we were transferred by Mear’s (the shuttle company who provided our transfers to and from the airport) to the Champions World Resort.
Once we arrived at the Champions World Resort, I went to check us into our room. At that time the lady behind the front desk asked to see my ID and then pre-authorized my debit card for $50.00. This all seemed to be what I consider routine when checking into a hotel or other place for lodging. After that she handed me a sheet of paper requesting my name, address, two places to initial, and another place to sign. One of the lines I was given to initial was agreeing to pay an additional $7.00 per night for resort fees which were to cover things such as parking (which I did not have a personal automobile there or a rental one either for that matter), housekeeping, pool, etc. When I was presented this form to initial and sign, I inquired about the resort fees. The lady behind the desk told me should would get the manager on duty (his name was Ricky O.) and explain them to me. Ricky O. came to the desk and told me that it was in my terms & conditions that I agreed to when making my reservation and then he asked me if I wanted him to print them (terms & conditions) off for me so that I could read them. I said yes and he went towards the back and I was assuming he was going to print them (terms & conditions) off for me. Meanwhile I told the lady behind the front desk that I didn’t mean to be a pain in the rear and was sorry, but I just wanted to see the terms & conditions that I supposedly agreed to when making the reservation. I then said that I just considered this situation shady (to me which means questionable or lack of understanding), in an apologetic manner for asking Ricky to print off the terms & conditions that I supposedly agreed to. Ricky O. heard the conversation from the back and came out extremely hostile, flailing his arms about and told the lady behind the front desk not to check us in, to cancel our reservation, and told me and my girls to get out (again they are 4 and 6 years of age). There was no option to discuss the matter further, I was frightened and so were my two little girls.
I put our 3 backpacks on my 4-year olds stroller, carried my laptop bag, and pushed her out the door. My 6-year old followed with our suitcase, containing the majority of our clothes, shoes, and everything else we needed for our vacation which was a 6 day/5 night trip. We stood in the parking lot and I was trying to remain calm to keep from frightening my girls further. I was traveling alone with two small girls, we were standing in the parking lot and I was trying to figure out what to do next. I had never been to Orlando, Florida before and had no idea what to do, I was scared. After traveling all day, between two different airports, my cell phone was almost dead. The only option I had was to call www.bookit.com. I finally got through to a lady named Sara(h) and explained the horrifying situation my girls and I were faced with. She assured me that she would get us another place for lodging. After being on hold for quite some time, she came back on the line and told me she had spoken with Ricky O. and that she was sorry that there was nothing she could do because Ricky O. told her that I had used profanity. During the brief time I spent at the front desk, I had time to inquire about the resort fees and not enough time to get to the point of being mad enough to use any kind of profanity. As an added note, I do not use profanity or get upset in front of my children. I also know that getting angry and swearing does not accomplish anything and only makes circumstances worse. My only intention was to see the terms & conditions Ricky O. agreed to print off and show me, which he failed to do.
At this point I was in tears (a situation I was trying to avoid in order not to frighten my girls any more than they were already) and my cell phone was warning me that my battery was low. I had to make a decision, I knew I needed to get to a place to charge my cell phone battery in order to stay in contact with Sara(h) at www.bookit.com. I told my girls we were going to have to walk to a restaurant down the road. I had two choices, one being to walk down the shoulder of Highway 192 in Orlando, Florida or to take a path through the grass (which happens to grow in sand in Florida). I was fearful that if we took the highway that someone might pick us up or the three of us being struck by a vehicle. I chose to take the sand thinking it would be the safest of my two choices and I put our backpacks on the umbrella stroller and pushed my 4-year old and my 6-year old had to wheel our suitcase through the sand and intolerable heat. It was 90 degrees out and 3:00 p.m. in sunny Florida. I’m not sure of the distance we traveled, if I had to venture a guess, I would say it was a ¼ of a mile hike. We went to a place called Bruno’s. I ordered my girls some food (pretending it was supper time so that they would think this is normal and to calm their fears) and they were very nice and let me charge my phone while we were seated. I would like to also add that while my girls and I were in route through the sandy trail we were forced to take, Sara(h) told me that Ricky O. said that I could come back there and use an outlet to charge my cell phone, but he preferred we use the pay phone in the lobby. After observing his hostile behavior there was no way I was going to subject my girls or myself to this type of behavior again.
After further explaining myself and the situation we were faced with, Sarah finally agreed to find us another place for lodging. I might add that also during this phone conversation, she stated that in the terms & conditions I agreed to a $3.00 (not a $7.00) resort fee was to be charged per night (I later found this in my itinerary when reading over it myself). I never had a problem with paying a $7.00 resort fee per night, I just simply asked for the manager to show me where I agreed to this in my terms & conditions. Sara(h) found us a room at the Worldgate Resort. She informed me that there would be an additional charge for the lodging change. At that point I agreed to the additional charge just to ensure that my girls and I would have a safe place to lay our heads.
I asked the waiter at Bruno’s for the number to a local cab company and a lady came to take us to the Worldgate Resort and we finally found a comfortable place to check in.
You may think that the easiest way for me to address this situation would have been to book another hotel at my personal expense and address this matter with www.bookit.com when we returned. I am a single mother of two and worked very hard to pay for this vacation. After paying for the reservation through www.bookit.com, I had budgeted just enough money for food and a couple of souvenirs for my little ones. In the end, I had to pay for the additional resort expense ($116.72 – which resulted in a $25.00 overdraft from my bank), cab fares, 2 hours of Disney park time, and not the mention the heartache we went through.
I am astounded that a manager of a hotel could treat somebody and two children so inhumane. I am also astounded that www.bookit.com would work with a place like Champions World Resort who employee management that treat people this way.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here under any circumstance whatsoever.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Laura S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 29 May 2012

this hotel is rated as a 2 star,would definatley get a 3 star from me! the rooms are cleaned every day,with the beds being made(changed every day if requested),otherwise every 3 days.fresh towels every day.3 great sized pools,never anyone in.the covered 1 is great for kids to keep out of the hot sun,and its nice to go in at night too,also next to the bar.speaking of the bar,i was a bit put of by reviews,stating that the bar was open every night until 2am..we found it hardly ever open...the resort is going through an upgrade at the moment,fresh painting etc,but it should have been open at night.this hotel is in a quiet area,away from the strip of i drive,g8 if you have a car(we did),but if you are getting around yourself,it may not be suitable.opposite the reception is a disney ticket desk.do NOT buy from them,they are trying to sell timeshares! the shop there is very expensive,buy everything else downtown for much cheaper prices.breakfast is okay,the continental better value than the full..the tip is incclude in the price,so dont need to tip any more,although they over fuss around you,trying to get more! good place to eat is the G olden Corral chain(they are everywhere in kissimee).all you can eat,fresh food,from salads,mains desserts,great price too.food from every nation seemed to be there.tipping....everywhere you go they want a tip..and check your receipts carefully before you leave a tip..we went to 1 restaurant where the tip had been automatically added,at 18percent! v expensive! another place we went,we had dirty cuterly,so so food.so i left 3 dollars tip,as we were getting into the car,the waitress came out looking for us! unbelievable!

Room Tip: away from the pools, but as said,everywhere was quiet at night
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank mich666
new york
Reviewed 25 May 2012

So I brought a group of students down to Florida for their senior trip. It was a nice break from New York City... or so I thought... When we got there the place did not match up to the pics on the website. It was a little shabby. When I got to my room it took me 10 tries for me to open my room door. When I finally got in I noticed that the light that was supposed to be in between the double beds was ripped off the wall. Instead of making a big deal of this, I let it slide. On my way to check out the bathroom I noticed there was a roach, I killed it and kept moving. Again, I decided to let this slide. The next morning, my colleague called from her room at 6 am frantic. When I went to her room she was covered in bites,,,bed bug bites....there were two dead bed bugs in her bed and blood spots everywhere. We immediately ran to the front desk and asked for a room change. We also requested that they wash all of her clothes for free. The front desk clerk directs us to a beautiful room with white tile floors, mirrored closets, etc. (our rooms had smelly carpet and no closets) We accepted the room and went back to the front desk. The clerk changes her mind and makes up some story about how the room was already book but she would give us another one. The second room she gave us was back in the same vincinity of the room with the bed bugs. It had the smelly carpet, no closet and not even a tub. It was for a handicapped person. By this time we could not keep running from room to room because we needed to get our kids to Disney. We accepted the room and kept it moving. When I got back to my room to get ready for the park, there were two more roaches in my room. I killed them, alerted the front desk and the response I got was that "the roaches are in the trees..."

Later on that night, when I got back to my room, there were two MORE roaches in my room. At this point I was livid. I packed up all of my things and demanded a room change to one of the rooms with the tile floors. It was granted immediately. I tried to get some rest, but of course it was hard because I had bed bugs and roaches to be afraid of. The next morning my colleague had to be rushed to the hospital because of all of the bites. She had over 50 bites covering her body. Later on that afternoon,
the hotel brought in some bed bug experts and when they removed the head board from the wall it was covered in bed bugs....

Needless to say I will never stay here again. I could go on in more detail about the many other things that was wrong with this hotel but I think the bed bugs are enough. BEWARE! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank pkad968

Travellers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

This hotel was great value for money. Forget the bad reviews - some people want 5 star luxury for a budget price. You get what you pay for in this hotel but in this case what you get is a comfy bed, clean sheets and towels, adequate storage space, a decent bathroom and some additional facilities such as a safe in the room (which is not charged for), iron and ironing board, fridge and microwave. This hotel cost only £120 for a week for two people!! I was a bit concerned when reading some of the reviews but I had nothing to worry about. Some people forget how much they have paid for the hotel and expect 5 star accommodation at budget prices - you get what you pay for and in this case "cheap and cheerful". The pools were clean and uncrowded, the restaurant was good value with nice food and the staff were all very helpful and friendly, particularly the reception staff. The nature reserve was a bonus too, a lovely area with a pond with pedallos on it and a sandy beach with loungers and chairs. Overall I would say this hotel was very good value for money and would definitely stay here again if I was looking for a budget priced hotel. Go for it!

Room Tip: After reading reviews about a sticky carpet go for a room with a tiled floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sheila M
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I'm going to try and be as objective as I can, though my thoughts are colored by the sleazy cruise outfit that brought me here in the first place. I'll get to them later - first - the hotel.

We ended up here after the Ramada Maingate West was oversold and this was the alternate provided by the package company. It is a 1970's vintage property - low end, low service economy accomodation. We had to walk up the outside stairs to the second floor room. Dated decor, worn linens, carpet stains and a bit of a musty smell. The maids appeared to have done the best they could and the room appeared to be as clean as you could get it with one exception - a long dark hair that sat on the outside of the toilet bowl, untouched for the 3 night stay. I don't think the daily cleaning is as good as the one between guests. The mattress was decent and the room location at the back of the property was quiet.

We never got to eat an evening meal in the restaurant (limited hours) but our included coupons allowed us to get a meal in the bar - a minimal selection from a bar menu. The burger was edible and filled a hole - which is as complimentary as I can get. Two mornings of breakfast, both buffet, were a tale of two cities. The first was very good - omellete cooked to perfection, a good selection of fruits and cereals - in a pleasant clean room. The next morning was a zoo - two less staff working and nothing was refilled, tables were dirty and dishes everywhere. The only thing good remaining was the delightful omellette cook.

They allege to have wi-fi but there was no service in the room - you had to take the laptop to the lobby to get reception. We did not use the pool or any amenities.

All in all, I could see spring breakers here, looking for a cheap place to crash and people booking based on the promo ads. If you shop, there are much better values out there. Look for other reviews on the rest of this stay in the Kissimmee area.

About the sleazy tour company: We had only ended up there from a "congratulations, you have won a free cruise" telemarketer. If you get the call, hang up and disinfect the phone as a precaution. The cruise is on the Bahamas Celebration. What they don't tell you is it isn't free (oh, surprise! - in fact it is expensive for what you get), it is all second rate (like this hotel) and they have stupid rules (like the package includes a one week car rental - but you can't choose your rental week - you have to bracket the cruise dates - so you pay rent for 4 of the days while the car is sitting parked in port - at $15 parking charges per day). They also don't tell you that you must sit through a morning of time share presentation. Then, when our reservations were incorrect, we had to pay a $20 fee to get them to correct their mistake - or sit through a different time share presentation at another resort. Avoid these people like the plague!

(As an aside, the boat itself is a smaller, dated, low service vessel that goes back and forth between West Palm Beach and Freeport. It has a casino and sort of a night spot. The food varied, with a selection of restaurants. Lunches were the low point and a very nice dinner was the high point. Watch for cheesy little add-on charges - like having your ice cream in a cone instead of a cup. It is not the Love Boat - and if you are booking, book it yourself, NOT in a package with any Ramada).

Room Tip: Get away from the highway for noise; if you want wifi in room, can't be far from main building...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hawki56
poole
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Do NOT stay at this hotel if you don't want a comfy bed for the night, decent pools, spacious rooms, cheap beer....DO stay if you want all of above!

We stayed here for 14 nights at the start of May and were a little worried due to some of the reviews. When we got to the hotel, the front desk staff were lovely, got checked in very quickly.

When we opened the door to the room (235, upper floor, tiled room) we were very pleasantly surprised! The room was large, with 2 double beds, fridge with little freezer compartment, microwave, TV, coffee maker (with coffee supplied), packaged plastic cups and a box for any ice you needed from the ice machine down the stairs.

The room was very clean, bathroom was spotless with plenty of towels (which were replaced daily). All of the fittings worked and even had an iron and ironing board there for us to use.

There was however, no battery in the smoke alarm and the safe didn't work...but we walked down to reception to tell them and the time it took us to get back to our room (2-3minutes) the maintenance guy was already there sorting it! Very impressed with that!

The air con worked very well, the beds were comfy, plenty of space and the rooms were cleaned every day! We didn't really have a problem with bugs....a few here and there...but it is Florida!! If you go on holiday here, you have to expect bugs!

The pools were fine, the indoor one was heated (i think) and was clean apart from a few bugs and leaves that had flown in - but it was cleaned out. the outdoor pools were lovely and the hot tub was ok. The heat was fine but the jets didn't really work in it. more like a hot bath with a few weak jets! But we were fine with that :)

We didn't try any food so can't comment on that, but we did sample the bar! Kim (barmaid and server) was such a lovely lady - really made our night when we went in! The beer is cheap and just keeps coming!

The nature reserve is gorgeous! There is so much wildlife there and it is huge...we just kept walking and seeing so much. There are plenty of paddle-boats...we thought there was only the one, but as we kept walking, we kept finding little mini lakes everywhere with extra boats, chairs and places for fires.

There is also a kids play area (we didn't try it out!!) that looked fun, clean and safe...located by the inside pool.

In reference to location....we found it brilliant. There is a Walmart not far away, Target is even closer as well as a Walgreens (i think its called that!). Easy to find Disney and Universal...certainly not within walking distance as some of the people on here may think due to reviews of people complaining about it...but people seem to forget that when places advertise "only a few miles from Disney"....they may be...but Disney is HUGE...when you get to the disney gates you still have to drive miles to get to the parks! The hotel do offer free Disney shuttles and a shuttle to Universal at a cost...but we highly recommend hiring a car to get places.

The hotel is dated, but as long as you are using it as a base to get your head down for the night, maybe have a swim in the pools etc, then it will be perfect. For the price you are paying, you can't complain really!

One of the best places to eat and drink is a bar 6 minute walk (as you are facing the road with the hotel to your back...walk to your right and keep going past the petrol station and its next to macdonalds!) and is called Houlihans. Believe it is a chain but we loved it and it quickly became our "local" :)

The staff are friendly, the food is good and the beer is great! There is happy hour from 5-10pm on the inside bar (2-4-1 on beer). Richard is a bartender there who is lovely and will do anything to make your evening enjoyable!

Overall, we would definitely stay in this hotel again - thought it was great!

Room Tip: Ask for a tiled room - they seem to be better quality then the carpet rooms!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank adamson13
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Two parents & two teens stayed 6 nights in late March. Just needed a place to sleep, and I was drawn to the pools and hot tub in addition to the CHEAP price ($35/nite).
I was grossed out by the reviews about dirty carpet, so I asked for a room with no carpet, knowing that these are the remodeled rooms. Bingo! Our room was very clean, with tile floors. VERY roomy for the four of us. Microwave and refrig included. Bed was fine, linens were clean, towels were plentiful. We had a ground floor room and dd not have any bad problems with bugs or reptiles. Some tiny ants across the floor once in awhile. As mentioned in other posts, outlets were "loose" and often had to be "jiggled" to work. Bathroom door would not close, front desk said they'd fix it, but we dealt with it.
Nice to have three pools to choose from - whole place was mostly empty while we were there. Hot tub was HOT! Laundry worked well. Covered pool was gross. So dirty/cloudy you couldn't see the bottom of it. Other two were fine. Hot tub DID NOT smell like chlorine, but was clear water.
It seems that this hotel is trying to cuts some corners to keep costs down. Seems they aren't using chemiclas in their pools. The cups in the room were not packaged - they were just from a pack of styrofoam cups. The grounds were not well kept aside from those near the lobby. The grass around the pool/hot tub area was more than knee high, and the hot tub area was full of weeds. Little things that tell me the hotel pays attention to detail were overlooked.
On the plus - it's an adequate cheap place to stay that is VERY convenient to Disney. Clean and comfortable, just not fancy.
BTW - check out the "nature area" - it's gorgeous!!! They have fire pits and a sandy beach with chairs to use!

Room Tip: Ask for a room without carpeting! It will be a newly remodeled room...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family