“We Enjoyed Our Stay”

Ranked #20 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
North America
“We Enjoyed Our Stay”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My hubby and I spent a week in the West Village at Orange Lake... We did nothing but relax for the first 3 days... We were approached to do the tour when we checked in and declined, on our fourth day someone called and asked if we would consider doing the tour and we decided to.... Breakfast buffet at the River Island restaurant was excellent, the Trade Winds bar was great as well.... We did not try any other restaurants on the property. Overall it was a good experience....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Verace
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Welcome home from your couples retreat! It sure sounds like you guys know how to getaway and relax..the perfect vacation! Thanks for taking our tour, it is a great way to find out all about the resort as well as the benefits of vacation ownership with Holiday Inn Club Vacations. We are glad that you were able to take advantage of a few of our outlet options during your stay with us. You no doubt needed nourishment after all of that relaxing. Thanks for the review and we hope to host you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,422)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Traverse City, MI
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed at Orange Lake Resort March 24-29, 2012. I was a little skeptical about staying somewhere that was 40 miles from the ocean and also about all of the stuff I had read regarding the high pressure timeshare pitch, but had an overall great experience.

Our room: POSITIVE: I booked our room through booking.com and received a significant price discount for paying in advance. We had a studio (2 queens, pullout couch and efficiency kitchen with table). It was a perfect set-up for our family. The beds were comfy, we had plenty of linens to get us thru the 4 days and the room was clean. We were centrally located and could easily access our car or the pool or the front desk from our room.

Our room: NEGATIVE: Although I had requested that we be placed at River Island, our room was actually at the West Village - directly behind the check-in area. Thru booking.com, I was not made aware that the room type we requested was not available at River Island. Also, I had been lead to believe each room room a washer & dryer but in our building, they were actually down the hall - we were given enough laundry soap for 4 or 5 loads and we did not need coins to operate the machines.

Time Share Experience: Upon check in, I firmly declined the $20 free gift to the woman who approached me. Additionally, we unplugged the phone in the hotel room and were not asked again to attend any timeshare presentations. My advice is to be polite but firm with your "no"...and trash the $20 certificate...FREE is a 4 letter word.

Pool & Surroundings: The pool at the West Village was super nice. There were plenty of towels and chairs. At River Island, our friends got up early to break the rules and reserve chairs. There were signs that stated that reserving chairs was not permitted but there was nobody enforcing it. In fact, the only thing that was strictly enforced were the $9 per day lazy river blue tubes! Everyone had their own cooler packed with food & drink & cocktails and after 5 days the only person I saw get in trouble were people without armbands that were riding on tubes in the lazy river...they literally have a hook that they grab them from people with in 2 different stops around the river. We took advantage of the 2 for $4 domestic draft beers for happy hour and our friends took advantage of the $14.95 refillable soft drink container. Our kids liked the virgin daquiris with the $3 refills.

Dining: We ate a Breezes one night and Pisan's pizza place. They were both average...the kids meals are all under $5.99 and I found the adult items to be reasonably priced. We went to Publix and got yummy Boars Head sandwiches a couple of times and we also kept breakfast & lunch stuff in our room.

Other: None of us were a big fan of people smoking at the pool. It seemed like there were people smoking everywhere. Additionally, at the end of our hotel hall was an exit to outside and people stood outside that door and smoked so we had to walk thru it on our way to the pool. I even saw an employee standing there...we stayed at the Renaissance @ Sea World earlier in the week and they had a no-smoking policy in the pool area...that was super.

My only other complaint was that the hotel rooms were super nice, but the hallway still had dingy ceiling tiles and the stairwells (by ashtray) and area by the stairwell entrances at West Village were dirty...they needed to be swept & painted.

Overall a 4/5 experience.

8 Thank northernmimom
Hello. Thanks for taking the time to review our property after you recent stay with us. We’re so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. We apologize if your exact room type you wanted was not available at check-in. With different types of rooms spread across four villages, we offer accommodations to fit every need, but are not always able to honor every individual room location request. We appreciate the fact that you considered taking our timeshare tour, but understand that your time on vacation is important. You make a good point about our many different food & beverage options. They offer great dining options for you and your family without having to bother with leaving the resort. We apologize if your fellow guests smoking became an issue for you. We want all of our guests to be healthy and happy at all times. We hope to see you again soon.
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2012

After I read alot of bad reviews about this resort we were really surprised and impressed when we arrived. The 2 bedroom condo we booked was beautiful. Ive stayed at classier places, but this was no 3 star either and it was nicely decorated as well. I will not take trip advisor reviews as the gospel any more. while the overall rating by tripadvisor is good, alot of the reviews had us worried until we arrived. Its easy to give a great review when you dont have any problems during your stay, but the true test of any service provider is the ability to solve problems and make the customer happy. Orange Lake did this for us. We had traded a RCI for a week stay here to do disney and cruise to Daytona beach to catch the tail end of Bike Week. When we checked in we asked that they see what kind of rate they could offer us for an additional two nights at the end as we were planning on going somewhere else for cheaper for the last two nights in Orlando. The man we dealt with was not exactly on the ball, but he was nice none the less. We asked him to get back to us with some prices and he never did. We forgot about it and got caught up in the disney marathon and it wasnt untill the last few days we decided we better follow up with him and see what was going on. Turns out he forgot?...He was a bit laid back about it, but sincere enough and after wasting some more time on the phone with him on hold he came up with a really cheap rate for a smaller condo which was fine by us. We left it at that and went back to our vacation. Called back before our week ended and were told there was nothing booked for us so of course we were back on hold for a long time and frustrated we were spending too much time sorting out what we were told by this employee and telling it to someone new, now worrying we have no accomadation.
The lady we dealt with eventually called back and got it straightened out. (the reservation had been made, but lost in the "system") so we accepted that and she garunteed our rate. when we got the new room key we were pretty happy and surprised to walk into another 2 bedroom villa after booking a studio. This one was as nice as the original place we had.
Thats what I call making it right for the customer after the fact. The only complaint I had was the toaster was kaput and looked like it was not recent and the dishwasher soap dispensor would not close so we could not do the dishes we dirtied. The TV in living room had a channel changer that would not work. I left a note for the house keeping staff and other than that our experiance was great. Also, my daughter lost her I-phone and it was found by the Publix grocery store that is on the Orange lake property and one of the staff members called the "home" number stored in phone and my daughter got her phone back within 24 hrs of loosing it. This Resort is huge and I think it needs more support staff at front check in/customer service counter as you do spend a few minutes on hold for anything other than a wake up call, but overall I thought we were treated great by all. As far as the whole time share sales pitch, I eat those guys for breakfast due to previous encounters at other resorts so was prepared to dispatch the first one that approached us this time. I did not happen. No one bothered us at all, so that was really nice as well. I even went to the timeshare customer care office to ask were we might find a certain seafood and the guys inside were super and the one gentlemen went out of his way to help and give me some good "local" advice.
All this and Im someone who usually runs from large resorts as I dont like the amount of people and all the price gouging for amenities such as food and extras. We tried to have a few decent meals in our condo and ate offsite for the rest. Also I read reviews about smells coming from Animal Kingdom and after being at the resort Its seems to me that they are confusing the smell of fertilizer used in the beds around the resort. Animal Kingdom is so huge and the animals so spread out it would seem odd to have that concentration of odor. Not to mention I watched the Disney staff cleaning it up as we toured the Africa section.
Orange Lake has obviously raised the bar for service delivery as well as the product they supply so they get my thumbs up!....PS. Nice golf courses.
Regards, the wary traveler

Room Tip: It was nice to have a room in the north village with a deck that faced the sunrise and beautiful gol...
5 Thank Wary-Traveller884
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Hey there Wary Traveler! Thanks for not only staying with us here at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Orange Lake Resort, but also taking the time to review how we are doing. We truly appreciate guest input. It seems that 5 of your fellow reviewers agree. Between cruising, bike week, Disney and staying with us, you surely had a vacation like no other. We are so glad that you were able to extend your stay with us. We are sorry if securing the accommodations was not seamless and please know that we strive to make every guest experience as perfect as possible, and we are glad that the situation was able to be redeemed. We appreciate you leaving a note for our staff with the issues you had. Next time, please let us know while you are on property so that we can do everything in our ability to make this feel like your home away from home.
We are happy that our staff was able to show you that famous “Florida Hospitality”. It’s great that your daughter got her I-phone back. Most of us can feel lost without them! We’re also happy to here our local eating and watering holes with anyone who asks. Living here gives us a great edge on the best places to hit and avoid. We’re so glad that you gave this “large resort” a chance. In parting, we can only hope that your stay made you less wary. Hope to see you back again.
Eastern Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I came to Orange Lake with my handicapped mother and 2 friends on a timeshare exchange.. I called ahead asking for a handicapped room. It was wonderful- on the ground floor. All 3 baths had walkin showers but the master had a wheel-in model and Jacuzzi. The pool was a walk-in as well, which was very convenient.
We were 4 intentionally, so that we could play bridge. We loved playing in the screened room where we could watch golfers and one day watched a family of cranes walking their babies.
Every morning Mom and I walked down a golfcart pathway to a small body of water where turkey vultures gathered, and we also saw woodpeckers and a heron. No alligators.
There are shuttles that run 7am -12am with knowledgeable and friendly drivers. Necessary to do steps. We didn't have to use the car onsite at all.
We attended comedy night and found it hilarious. The meal was excellent as well- a caesar salad bar and a variety of pastas. The drink menu was extensive and creative, but expensive.

Maintenance staff came immediately on calling, but no one came to clean or change towels all week, perhaps because it was an exchange. I'm certain they would have come had we asked.
We needed help with the safe and a security guy was at the door as I hung up the phone, followed up by a call from that department to ensure we were able to work it.
We couldn't hear noise from any attached units.

Room Tip: Wheelchairs were available onsite for a cost so we didn't have to bring one. (We rented an econo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Elmwood
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed there with family on their time-share time and loved it. I was never one to want to travel to Florida as I never had an interest in it but would go back.

They have 7 swimming pools, 1 lazy river, 5 restaurants, 1 kids park, 3 mini putts and 3 golf courses. It is huge but very, very nice.

Our condo had 3 bedrooms each with an ensuite and TV in each room, livingroom, diningroom, kitchen and screened in balcony. It was beautiful.

Pros: This resort is very well maintained, safe to walk anywhere on the grounds, has beautiful birds of every kind all over the resort. You can see the fireworks from Disneyworld at night if you are in the right buildings. The lazy river was lots of fun.

Cons: You have to drive everywhere because the resort is so big. We tried two of the restaurants and the Breezes was ok, the service ok. We tried another where it was the all you can eat ribs (for the guys) and it was excellent. The guys enjoyed their ribs and the girls their pasta. I would recommend the Gator Bites and the Wild Mushroom Pasta. Excellent.

I would go back for sure.

3 Thank bellefemme77
N Dartmouth MA
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed here for three nights with my sister & brother in law (who are owners) at the East village. We were in town to attend a family wedding. This place is really massive. You can't really walk to anything because of the size. The pools were really nice and boy were they crowded. We couldn't find a seat anywhere. I went in the lazy river on a tube and then was kicked off the tube by the employees. You have to pay 5.00 a day to use the tubes. I don't think they should charge to use the floats when you are paying good money to stay there. I don't like when places try to nickle and dime you to death. Our unit was a two bedroom unit on the 5th floor over looking the golf course. Clean and comfortable. The beds were really nice. I would have slept well except that there was so much light coming in through the window located near the walkway that I couldn't sleep. It was like sleeping with the light on all night. No curtains, just a fake box at the top with some material on it. You couldn't even hang a towel or anything else over the window. There were blinds but not enough to filter out the light from the walkway. That was my only complaint. There was a great screened in porch where you could sit outside at night and watch the fireworks from Disney. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I returned to Orange Lake Resort after ten years without a visit and I was pleasantly surprised to see all the additions, upgrades, and renovations made to the resort and the area. There are daily and nightly activities available all across the resort with on-site shuttle service that runs every few minutes, making it easy to access all the resort has to offer. Plus, there are now so many more things to do in the neighbourhood, literally at walking distance.

The Orange Lake staff were courteous and friendly, saying hello at every opportunity, and the value at the resort bars, restaurants, and shops was excellent! Spending afternoons at the pool and Breezes bar was definitely my favourite part of the stay.

Having said that, I was a bit disappointed with the cleanliness of my villa. The very first day I walked in, I found hairs in the shower, sunflower seed shells on the living room floor, and even a golf ball behind the curtains. I was a bit disappointed, but after contacting Guest Services, they immediately sent housekeeping for a full cleaning of the villa and brought me fresh towels and toiletries.

If anyone is considering staying at Orange Lake Resort, I highly recommend booking. I spent many childhood vacations there over the years and I have so many fantastic memories, this year included. Absolute best place to stay in Kissimmee.

6 Thank alexandra1721
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Caribe Royale Orlando
#85 of 338 in Orlando

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort? Share your experiences!