“out of the ordinary”

Ranked #18 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
South Windsor, Connecticut
“out of the ordinary”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Stayed here with husband and daughter for husbands company's conference. The entire hotel is under a glass atrium so it feels like you're outside when you aren't. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first (I love being outside and it had a "fake" feel) but I got used to it and think most people would love the idea. The hotel is impeccably kept, and the atrium has lush foliage along the walkways with piped in noises you would hear on a summer's night. Some reviewers complained about the service, but besides 2 issues (mentioned below), the service was outstanding--received prompt service when requesting anything regarding our room, service in most hotel restaurants was outstanding (steakhouse, Hickory I think is the name, had the best service and food) and friendly workers around the pool area were always looking to make sure everyone was happy. We stayed in the Everglades section of the hotel facing into the atrium on the 5th floor (highly recommend this area/floor level for scenic view and lower noise level--hotel has an echo effect throughout the atrium--with the Key West area probably being the loudest). Our room was an executive suite so it was very spacious with separate bedroom and living room areas. We used the gym which was a good size and clean with helpful staff.

A few down sides: upon checking in we were told our room was not ready--they do not guarantee the 3pm check in time so we had to wait over 1 1/2 hours for our room. The day before checking out we found out that my husband had to stay later than expected at a meeting on check out day so I asked for a later check out time (about an hour or two). The front desk person was very unhelpful and stated they were very busy the next day and didn't think he could allow us to do so. I reminded him about our late check in time but he was unphased. (My husband went to the front desk the next day and basically TOLD them we would check out late and a different front end person was fine with it). The restaurant in the Key West area did not have great service. We went there twice (lunch and dinner) and both times got the same waitress who was very friendly but was very slow in intitially coming to our table and hardly checked on us throughout our meal--we had to wave her over for everything we needed. Also, as other reviews have stated, this is not an inexpensive hotel, expect to pay on the high end for meals (I noticed that most restaurant patrons were conference attendees and hardly any families--most with kids probably go off site for meals for this reason). A few minutes away on International Drive is a bunch of chain food restaurants and a food store for stocking the room with snacks.

I think the hotel is a tourist attraction in and of itself, with alligator/fish feedings, a great kids water park type pool, free Disney Park shuttles, and events going on thoughout the hotel. I enjoyed experiencing a hotel different from the norm.

Room Tip: Facing into the atrium gave a nice view from the balcony. If you don't want noise, either get a...
1 Thank annmarie27_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,355)
  • Polish first
Copenhagen
Reviewed 2 May 2012

How can a hotel, that has build an inside castle, set up a ship for a restaurant, and has both alive fish and alligators inside the hotel be boring? Because they are there. Artificial interiors turn me off, and the Gaylords inner courtyard is precisely that. But rooms are large and clean. The staff American friendly. So for a conference a fine place to stay. But The Gaylord is situated all by itself, and you can only access it by car. Not a place for vacation.

1 Thank reumert
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Rain or shine outside, below 0 or over 100 degrees, the weather at the Palms is always perfect! Every effort is made to keep their guests satisfied, and there are lots of things to do to keep guests of all ages busy, & tummies full. Just 3 min away from Disney World a great place to stay while visiting orlando. Even when full, the resort never seems to be crowded. Smiling faces abound. Only negative - be prepared to spend some $..Great resturants, fantastic sports bar, even a gator pit! Will surely stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose inside view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobertKestenbaum
Mandeville, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Everything was as it should be when we arrived. Staff were responsive to issues that occurred during the stay and addressed them immediately. Room was clean and well appointed. Restaurant service was excellent and the food was tasty. Convention center was set up well, meals were ready on time, food was very acceptable considering it was served over a time period in buffet style.
Pool areas were nice, although I do wish that the adults pool rules had been better enforced. Children under 18 should not be admitted, even if their parents are at that pool. They were distracting and loud.

Room Tip: The atrium rooms were nice...having a balcony door to open and "outside" chairs was pleasa...
2 Thank Raddoc70448
Sarasota
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We booked two rooms this weekend. We needed one handicap accessible room that was close to our other room. They got it right with no troubles (maybe the Marriott World Hotel should take a lesson from them!). Rooms are very nice. We spent the day at the newly redesigned pool area. There's a huge water play are with waterslides! My 7 year old and husband had a blast. We rented a cabana so that my parents were out of the sun. It was great! Very comfortable furniture and the manager checked on us almost hourly. They even brought my dad coffee (they had to get this from inside). Service was great. We went to Relache spa which was just o.k. I liked the express massage but am very sore today (maybe a little too tough on my back?). The express facial was the worst facial I've ever gotten. It consisted of a series of products being put on my face. I can do that myself! The express pedicure was excellent. We had dinner at the Old Hickory. The menu has changed a little. My favorite appetizer, the warmed pear with goat cheese, has changed and I won't get that again. The steaks were cooked perfectly and the food was incredible. Folks, this hotel isn't cheap but you get what you pay for. The grounds are stunning, service is impeccable, and food is good quality. I probably wouldn't do the spa again but highly recommend the Old Hickory.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Traveling4Three
Northeast US
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Just to be air - I am not a big Gaylord fan - always find them kind of kitschy. (BTW- The whole “Key West” area in Orlando – from the “Southernmost” marker to the comical sailboat to the plastic marlin – made me look for the only thing that was missing….slot machines).

The Good: Very, very nice people and staff – very professional; the atrium and new outdoor pool area was 5-Stars for families with kids; rooms were fine – the King Room had a walk-in shower which was nicer than a tub; the location was excellent (next to I-4); and all the dining options were ok (beware, without a car you are completely a captive customer).

The Bad: Lord I know every business has to make money – duh. But the daily $15 “Resort Fee” (which really is just another term for internet access) is just absurd, and the $15 Daily Parking fee is just so beyond ridiculous that I can’t believe the Gaylord people have stooped to this to raise some extra revenue. THERE IS NOTHING WITHIN A MILE OF THIS PLACE….WHO THE HELL ELSE WOULD PARK HERE FOR YOU TO CHARGE $15 A DAY? Just tack another $25 on the cost of a room – people will still come here. Kudos to the previous comments about the Atrium at night….if there are people out there – you are going to hear them. Finally, the pools were nice, but there are no real lifeguards or supervisors on duty (except for watching the water slide)….and, if you like huge people in little bathing suits with tramp stamps and other body art – have at it.

If you’re there for a convention – probably it’s pretty good. If you’re actually there for a nice vacation, there are many better options.

Room Tip: I would definitely get a room that fronts the outside.
2 Thank SteelBeach
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I and my husband have stayed twice at the Gaylord Palms, and enjoy it everytime! The atrium with Florida themed flora and fauna, complete with a schooner ship at one end serving drinks and Key West themed food and drink make staying here an absolute treat! During the Christmas season, they have their convention center transformed into an ice sculpture palace with holiday events, and is truly a festive, fun time to be there and bring the family. The only thing I would caution the traveler about is to get all (and I mean ALL) your food reserved in advance....yes, even breakfast and lunch! I recommend the Villa de Flora buffet! This rule applies if you are planning to go to Disney also. (The gate to Disney is just about 1/4 mile down the road from the hotel) The resort fee you'll be charged daily does provide shuttle service to all the Disney theme parks. If you want a posh experiencce that is half the price of staying at the Disney hotels and have full access to Disney proximity then this is definlitely the place. Valet parking is $20/day and self parking is $13/day....be sure to have plenty of ones to tip bell staff, they don't allow you to take the clothes trolley and bring your own luggage (so pack light if you want to avoid this). Spend the extra money, and get an atrium room, its not much more, and it is so worth it!

Room Tip: Get an atrium room...well worth it!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LisaV60
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
1.7 km away
4.6 km away
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
1.9 km away
Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!