Stayed here with husband and daughter for husbands company's conference. The entire hotel is under a glass atrium so it feels like you're outside when you aren't. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first (I love being outside and it had a "fake" feel) but I got used to it and think most people would love the idea. The hotel is impeccably kept, and the atrium has lush foliage along the walkways with piped in noises you would hear on a summer's night. Some reviewers complained about the service, but besides 2 issues (mentioned below), the service was outstanding--received prompt service when requesting anything regarding our room, service in most hotel restaurants was outstanding (steakhouse, Hickory I think is the name, had the best service and food) and friendly workers around the pool area were always looking to make sure everyone was happy. We stayed in the Everglades section of the hotel facing into the atrium on the 5th floor (highly recommend this area/floor level for scenic view and lower noise level--hotel has an echo effect throughout the atrium--with the Key West area probably being the loudest). Our room was an executive suite so it was very spacious with separate bedroom and living room areas. We used the gym which was a good size and clean with helpful staff.
A few down sides: upon checking in we were told our room was not ready--they do not guarantee the 3pm check in time so we had to wait over 1 1/2 hours for our room. The day before checking out we found out that my husband had to stay later than expected at a meeting on check out day so I asked for a later check out time (about an hour or two). The front desk person was very unhelpful and stated they were very busy the next day and didn't think he could allow us to do so. I reminded him about our late check in time but he was unphased. (My husband went to the front desk the next day and basically TOLD them we would check out late and a different front end person was fine with it). The restaurant in the Key West area did not have great service. We went there twice (lunch and dinner) and both times got the same waitress who was very friendly but was very slow in intitially coming to our table and hardly checked on us throughout our meal--we had to wave her over for everything we needed. Also, as other reviews have stated, this is not an inexpensive hotel, expect to pay on the high end for meals (I noticed that most restaurant patrons were conference attendees and hardly any families--most with kids probably go off site for meals for this reason). A few minutes away on International Drive is a bunch of chain food restaurants and a food store for stocking the room with snacks.
I think the hotel is a tourist attraction in and of itself, with alligator/fish feedings, a great kids water park type pool, free Disney Park shuttles, and events going on thoughout the hotel. I enjoyed experiencing a hotel different from the norm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just minutes from Central Florida's world-famous theme parks, including Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando and Sea World, the 1,416-room Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center is the ideal destination for leisure and business travelers alike. This spectacular resort in Kissimmee, Florida features 4.5 acres of beautifully manicured gardens and themed environments beneath a signature glass-covered atrium. On-site leisure and recreation opportunities abound with the Cypress Springs Water Park, featuring a double FlowRider and drop slide in addition to a multi-level treehouse water playground; the adults-only South Beach Pool; Forbes Travel Guide's Four Star Relache Spa & Salon; Wreckers Sports Bar, featuring a two-story sports screen; and a 24 hour fitness center. And with eight restaurants and lounges ranging from fine dining at Old Hickory Steakhouse to casual poolside fare at SandBar, Gaylord Palms offers something for every appetite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity.ca, Agoda, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gaylord Palms Hotel Kissimmee
- Gaylord Resort
- Gaylord Palms Resort Orlando
- Gaylord Palms Orlando
- Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center Kissimmee, Florida