“Rooms are in need of an upgrade”

Oak Plantation Resort
Ranked #94 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Toronto, ON
“Rooms are in need of an upgrade”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed here in Feb 2012 with my GF and 1 yr old daughter. The website pictures make it look a lot better than it is. Considering we used my aunt's Vacation Exchange, I was expecting better. I'll break down my review in sections.

Resort Grounds - From the outside when you enter, the resort looks great. Plenty of trees and there's a pond in the middle of the resort with many different birds species. The pool area is nice as well, with a gazebo covered jacuzzi and little tiki bar at the back. Did not use the Tennis/Basketball Court, Gameroom or Internet Cafe (used a PC in the lobby).

Front Desk/Service - Front desk service was okay if we needed something, but daily room cleaning was not included with our stay. This was highly disappointing, and one of the reasons I would not come back here. Also, our Washer/Dryer broke down and they were unable to fix it. Not a big deal as we were on vacay, but another thing to note.

Rooms - Our 1 Bedroom Villa was fully equipped, but very dated and in need of an update. This is the other reason I would not recommend this place. Appliances, flooring, walls, furniture all definitely need upgrading. I originally had Westgate Lakes booked but changed over here because of the full kitchen feature. If I knew how it looked here I wouldn't have switched.

Location - In relation to Disney and the other main attractions, the resort was a little out of the way. They do offer shuttle service to the main attractions, and there are plenty of restaurants/shopping close by. It's across the street from Osceola Mall, but it's a run down place with mainly discount shops.

With all the other options available in Orlando, I definitely would not recommend staying at this place.

2 Thank cb78
OPRGuestExperiences, Guest Relations Manager at Oak Plantation Resort, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear cb78,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful landscape and scenery here at the resort. We do have many amenities for the guests to use such as the internet cafe, tennis court, basketball court, game room, and pool area, as you mentioned which most of our guests love to take advantage of.

In regards to the housekeeping, we apologize that it was not up to your standards. Our owners and exchangers do receive a mid-week tidy which is included in their HOA fees. We offer daily housekeeping as well with an additional fee if needed. We apologize that the washer and dryer did not work. We do also offer a free on-site laundry room for guests to use if need be.

In regards to your room’s appliances and furniture, we apologize for them not being up to your standards and that you found them outdated. These issues will be addressed.

Our location is a reasonably central area. It's in the middle of the attractions, the airport, as well as shopping areas and restaurants all within 30-45 minutes of our resort. We do offer our complimentary shuttle to the theme parks and our front desk staff is more than happy to arrange transportation should our guests need to travel anywhere that our shuttle does not. We apologize again and we hope you will consider our resort should you be traveling our way in the future.

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Nyborg, Denmark
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We checked in (mom, dad, boys 4 and 7), only to find, that there were no bedsheets or beds for the kids - the receptionist was rude and had an attitude, and suggested, that if we didn't like the accomondations, we could just move.
As there was no wifi in the room as promised, the room looked old and scraped together from bits here and there, and there was no room for the kids, we took her up on her word and left.
The stay lasted 2 hours.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
1 Thank koraltop
Dear koraltop,

We sincerely apologize on behalf of our front desk for the rudeness you experienced during your stay. This is not something that was brought to our attention. It is definitely not normal procedure either at our resort. It will be addressed promptly with our managers in the front desk as well as with housekeeping. We do ask that our guests please inform us of any issues or concerns that they have while they are here at the resort in order to rectify the problem as soon as possible.

In regards to having room for your children, we do offer 2 bedrooms as well which you may find more spacious. The master bedroom has one king-sized bed while the guest room has two full sized beds. It also includes the sofa bed in the living room and the full-sized kitchen. Again we sincerely apologize and hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Best regards,
Guest Relations

Travellers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed 1 March 2012

This place was terrible. The pictures looked good and the reviews not bad, but the pictures was of the one bedrooms that were upgraded. The Two bedrooms are not. It was like a shack. The couch was so gross we had to cover it with a blanket. The carpet was so dirty i could not let my 1 year old play on it. Dirty towels in the bathroom and pee behind the toilet. The washer didn't work. And the beds and pillows looked like they came from a $30 motel. Not to mention one of the outlets had metal sticking out of it. They tried to cover it with a piece of tape. And my son almost got electrocuted.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
1 Thank Diane G
Dear Diane G.,

We apologize that you did not enjoy your stay here at the resort. We are sorry that our housekeeping and furniture were not up to standard. These issues were not brought to our attention. We will see that the proper departments are promptly informed. We do ask our guests please inform us of any issues and concerns they may have regarding their accommodations while they stay with us in order for us to resolve the problem as quickly as possible. We sincerely apologize as well for the inconvenience of the washer and dryer not working. We do have a laundry facility on site that is free of charge to our guests as well.

Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced throughout your stay. We hope that you have nothing but wonderful experiences in the future wherever you decide to stay. We do hope that you will consider us again in the future should you be traveling to our area again.

Palatka, Florida, United States
Reviewed 1 March 2012

When we arrived our room "was not ready" Many other people arrived after we did, several were told the same thing while others, all hispanic, went straight to their rooms. The front desk staff was rude, While I was talking to one, she immediately turned to a man who had just entered the office. He was hispanic. When we finally got our suite, it was hot. The maintanence man told us the air conditioner was working, it would just take a while to cool off because the room had not been occupied. Supposedly they had just finished cleaning it. Why did they not have the air on. It must have been occupied the night before. It never cooled off, though I went to the office three times complaining. Finally at 10pm I told them we were leaving and I would speak to the manager the next day. Before I could get back to the suite, the front dest called to say they had a suite available. The air was working in that suite, it was all ready cool. The next day when I asked to speak to the manager, I was told she was busy. I tried again throughout our stay, but was never able to talk to her. No apology was offered. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Harriet W
Dear Harriet W,

We here at the resort apologize for the inconvenience you experienced throughout your stay. We do our best to make sure that all of our units are available for our guests to check in by 4pm. However, before our guest are given keys, the rooms must be inspected for cleanliness, and to ensure that each room has all supplies needed for guests throughouth the stay. This issue was not brought to our atttention and we sincerely apologize again.

We also apologize on behalf of the front desk staff for the rudeness as well as for management not being able to see you. This is not our usual conduct and it will be addressed promptly. We do hope you will consider staying with us in the future and give us a second chance, as you are a valued guest.

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We (me, husband, 4-year old daughter) stayed in a two bedroom for 5 days. We had read the reviews post reservation and were on guard with the negative reviews. Yes, there are cochroaches - on the floor, bathroom and kitchen counters. Maybe 10 adult bugs in total of 5 days that we saw and squashed. Many tiny tiny critters all over counters. We put all food, perishables and dry goods in the fridge for that concern. Our villa was cleaned everyday, bed made, garbage taken out. Towels were restocked on day 3. Coverlet to bed was stained but we remove these regardless of hotel as I doubt they are washed b/w users. We brought our own towels just in case. Some pillows were worth going in the garbage. But again, we packed our own due to reviews. I did not notice a smell or mold and I am sensitive to that with migraines. So that was a positive!!! Lots of dishes. Dryer worked, never tried washer.
My sisters family 1 bedroom villa had poor bed sheets - not worth rags she said.
Yes, it is dated, but who cares. As long as I have a clean place to rest my head this is ok. And because of the caution of the reviews prior to going, I may have been more likely to look for the negative. We never tried the TV, brought our own DVD player.
My recommendation, if going to Disney World, stay at one of the resorts so you can go back and forth on the tram at all hours instead of driving (20-30 minutes), paying for parking ($12-20), being at the park all day and at the mercy of long food lines (one hour). Our vehicle rental (free with airmiles) insurance was $250, fuel was $120, time to drive, parking $15 per day average, food at parks average $50 per day for lunch, supper $100 (total: approx. $1000). I bet you can upgrade to a resort theme hotel with that $ for better bang for buck and better experience. Next time, we will stay at a Disney resort so we have the freedom of the tram to go back and forth to our hotel, eat healthy without one hour line ups, nap, and go back to the wee hours of the night (Disney Magic Kingdom until 1am). Keep in mind we were there for school break so Disney may have been much busier than other times!
On check in and check out several people were complaining, size of rooms (likely one bedroom villas) and cleanliness? Our two bedroom was more than big enough but we were worried if we needed to switch we could at least downsize if needed and available. Although from the sounds of the front desk, there was nothing else available for others who were wanting to switch.
Oh, and we were on the top floor (two floor villa) and on arrival at night the people below complained about us being noisy as they were sleeping. We have a four year old and she was running around after being in airports and airplanes for 14 hours so that may have caused some feet thumping noises for them. I did not notice any noise from the next villa or below so might be a caution for those on first floor???
We were so busy with Disney, SeaWorld, Aquatica, Legoland we never used the pools, which I think are likely the selling point to this resort.

1 Thank jenn s
Dear Jenn S,

We offer our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. In FL, we are home to many species of insects due to our climate; however we do have a pest control company that maintains our units. We do advise our guests to please inform us of any situations or issues they have in their rooms in order for us to rectify the problem as soon as possible.

We again apologize for our linens not being up to standard. This issue will be addressed toward the proper department. We do hope if you decide to stay with us again in the future that you have a chance to experience our 2 lagoon style pools. We also have a tiki bar which provides great lunch and snacks such as chicken fingers, cheeseburgers, and drinks among other items. We hope you have happy travels in the future wherever you decide to stay.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I just got back from a short weekend and this place is exactly as the other viewers wrote. PIctures do not lie. Only difference was that my apt. was clean, just super older furniture, the tv, dvd player in the living room did not work at all. It was great to have a full washer and dryer but that room smelled like a dirty dog. The tiles in the bathroom looked cruddy, the towels are so skimpy and the tub creaked when u step in and out. I didnt tour the grounds, just saw the lovely peakcocks. U need a card to get through the gate which seemed like good security but after 9 pm or so, the gate arm was always up. Anyways, if u are not picky, just want a place to put your bags down, then go ahead stay here.

Room Tip: dont know if that is possible.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissMiami
Dear Miss Miami,

It seems that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us in regards to the cleanliness of the laundry room and tiling in the unit. We sincerely apologize and wish to inform you that this is not our normal appearance. We will address this issue with the proper department promptly. We do advise our guests to please advise us on any problems they may have in their unit right away while they are staying with us in order to get the problem rectified as soon as possible. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our washer and dryer as most guests love taking advantage of that amenity. We are also happy that you enjoyed the site of our beautiful peacocks who reside within our majestic oaks. We do hope you decide to stay with us again in the future. Best wishes in your future travels.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I truly feel so sorry for those people who have invested with this roach palace. I had two nights here through hotwire, and will remember again why to never go under 3 stars. Not sure that I would even give this place two stars. The place is falling apart. Staff are limited, and stressed (likely from being yelled at by angry renters) there was stains on the sheets, the washer dryer thingy took forver to use. The grounds are falling apart, there were bugs in the washroom, mostly hardly anything worked. It's truly sad, because I can see that twenty years ago, it would have been a great property. The little tiki bar is cute by the pool, and I think that the people who are working there, are trying with what they have. :(

1 Thank uniquenames
OPRGuestExperiences, Guest Relations Manager at Oak Plantation Resort, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear Uniquenames,

From the looks of your review, it seems that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced. These issues were not brought to our attention. We do advise our guests to please inform us of any issues they may experience while they are staying with us in order to solve the problem as fast as possible.

In regards to our combo washer and dryer, we apologize that you did not find it up to standard. They are really for small loads of laundry however we do provide a complimentary laundry room for guests to use as well for larger loads.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our tiki bar. Our guests always look forward to relaxing by the pool with a snack or drink. We do hope that you will give our resort a second chance in the future if you should be traveling our way again. We wish you happy travels wherever you may go.