“Great Location for Disney”
Review of Silver Lake Resort

Silver Lake Resort
Ranked #7 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Check in was not long. The thing that was different was after I checked in at the front desk, I was sent to another desk in the lobby to pick up my room keys. I thought that this was when I was going to get the timeshare talk. But what happened was I was given my room key and shown on a map how to get to my room. The lady asked me if this was my first time staying here and asked me if I had any questions. That was it. I kept waiting to tell her politely I was not interested in listening to a timeshare pitch but nothing was ever mentioned. 3 days later I had a message on my room phone. I thought here it is the timeshare pitch. No, it was a message telling me that housekeeping would be around to exchange my towels the next day.

The 2 bedroom unit was spacious and clean. All the staff I had contact with were polite. The only complaint I had with the resort was the noise from the unit above was noticeable during the evening. It bothered me a little but didn't continue too long. The other was that TVs didn't have hd cable feed. For a nice resort, this really bothered me. The TVs reception even had shadows so it wasn't enjoyable to watch.

Downtown Disney and Magic Kingdom are 15 minute drives. Epcot 10 minutes and Hollywood Studios less than that. Animal Kingdom is less than 5 minutes! Easy to get to the parks and back to resort using the back entrance. Never had to use I-4.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Caskar

Reviewed 22 January 2012

Had large 1 bedroom, 2 bath condo, Very nice layout and furnishings. The onsite, 2 movie a day (4pm,7pm) theater was a plus. Well located on ,commercial westerly end of hwy 192 near hwy27 (on which there is there is a wal-mart, lowes, & library) and next door to Disney.

Sour notes: Local calls 50 cents, WIFI $40 week (in a world where many cheap hotels have it free), free activity center has only 2 internet stations, no telephone directory, frying pan not stick proof so bring your teflon one. Free welcome onsite breakfast was really sad and turned out to be timeshare introduction. However, not high pressure and got good ticket discounts after saying "no thanks" for ONLY an hour.

Stayed following week at Wyndam Cypress Palms up the road on 192 and liked it better (free WIFI and local calls) even though unit was smaller 1bed/1bath.

Room Tip: Building 400 on busy street so expect some noise. Ask which buildings have been recently renovate...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My wife and I frequently trade in our time share to visit other destinations. This time we picked Orlando and stayed at the silver lakes resort. What a mistake.
Here's how the week went:
After a quick check in process was given a room key that did not work. Called desk and they would send security right away. 15 minutes later security arrives and informs us this room should never have been given out and the front desk knew this. After another 15 minutes we now had to go up one more flight to our room. No ice trays in the fridge so I decided to find the ice machine. NO ice machine even in the building, it's out by the pool. Walk to the pool only to find this machine is out of order. Had to walk to another pool to find a machine that works. Next the room safe did not work. Maintenance came two days later, had to drill out the old one open up the wall for the new safe to fit. left metal shavings and drywall dust on the floor. but the safe worked. Trying to deal with housekeeping was frustrating and usually a day or two slow. MY ADVICE IS TO STAY AWAY. With all the hotels in the area there has got to be a better place.

Room Tip: any room in another hotel has got to be better
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank bighurt56
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My wife and I stayed here several years ago over a long weekend. This was our first return to Silver Lake and were surprised when the room we were staying in, hadn't changed. But lets start at the beginning.
Check-in was a very lengthy process. As part of a timeshare sales pitch, you first have to sign in with the RCI sales people. Then with the front desk. Took a good 20 plus minutes to get through it all and I was the only one there.
We had requested a crib in advance. Called a few days before to confirm. And arrived to our room with no crib. Called down to dispatch who sent security. They couldn't help and contacted housekeeping. After 20 minutes, called the front desk again. And then waited another 20 minutes. Called the front desk again before finally getting someone. The gentleman who came to set up the crib was very polite. But he brought the wrong frame. Needless to say, after several attempts and trips back to housekeeping, almost an hour and a half after check-in, we had a crib.
The room, as I said, was dated. Apparently, some have been upgraded, but not the one they gave us. Funny that they want to make a sale and they don't put their best foot forward. Spacious main room, with decent size and equiped kitchen. TV could use an upgrade, especially the second one in the bedroom. The bedroom has very little room left since the bed takes up most of the space. Had trouble fitting the crib in and took out some of the furniture from the room.
The bed was comfy but we slept on the pull-out couch so my son could sleep in the bedroom. Very old couch and not comfortable at all as a sleeper.
Bathroom was nice but also dated. The jacuzzi jets needed some cleaning and they had done some damage control to the jets. The shower head was at about 5'8" level so I had to duck down just to wash my hair (I'm only 5'10").
The pool area is nice and somewhat heated. The Europeans and British guests seemed to enjoy the water. It was a little cold for us Canucks. We had a room facing the pool and it could get a little noisy at times. They run some activities like a Caribbean resort, even in the evening. Not so good with a little one that goes to bed by 7:30. But it didn't seem to bother him.
Carpet in the hallway was nasty and needs to be redone. We were in 1800 building, which is older, and could use a lot of work.
The timeshare pitch was horrible. They hadn't even changed their pitch from the previous visit. Even with my 1 year old being cranky, they "had" to keep us the full 90 minutes. The salesperson had the nerve to tell us, "don't do a timeshare again if you have no intention of buying". I wasn't the one offering the promotion. I understand you work off commision but if I'm wasting your time, give me the tickets I was offered and send me on my way. She said she closes 30-40% of her pitches. I don't see how.
The resort is located near Animal Kingdom and is great if you are going to Disney. At Xmas however, traffic is horrible in Orlando. Going anywhere else, especially to the other side of the city where Mall at Millenia or The Florida Mall are, is atrocious.
If you are already a timeshare holder, this is a decent place for you to stay. It has its issues but you've already paid to stay here in some form.
If you are not locked in, there are better and just as affordable options.

Room Tip: Request a room in the newer buildings.
4  Thank EricToronto
Reviewed 10 January 2012

With pools, tennis, basketball, arcade, and kids activities, it sure made for a fun and relaxing break from the theme parks. The 2 headroom units provided a home away from home.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 7 January 2012

As I “former Owner” of Silver Lake Resort for the last 15 years, I can say that I am extremely disappointed with this resort. I can also comment without a doubt in my mind that getting involved in this resort was the worst decisions ever. It was unmistakably a bait-and-switch! This resort no only has this ruin several days in my live, but it also ruined many family vacations. In the beginning everything seems ok, ok services, ok location, but never a 5 start resort as they claim to be.
In my last visit, this past December 2011, we were staying for seven days by the six days we left the resort. When we first arrived, we were excited. The website (and other travel websites) shows new furniture, elegant cabinets and granite counters in the kitchens and luxurious baths - they actually read "luxurious" on the website. Of course, why not after paying thousand and thousand of dollar in maintenance fee over the years, just to be “Owner of a 5 Star resort” and only able to use the resort about 4 times in the past 14 years, I was ready to enjoy my so call “Investment”. I could not be more wrong. The Resort looks just like always. The same furniture, the same cabinets nothing is new, like they show on the website not even the new buildings.
To make matters worse! They charged for almost everything if you used more than their rationed amount of toilet tissue, paper towels etc. you will be charge. For example, .95 cents for every additional roll of toilet tissue. We were given 2 rolls for 1 week. The master bath shower door (sliding) was unclean. The cleaning items seems like they bough it from the general dollar store (everything cheap). The fact that we when to the front desk in an effort to get a simple mop to clean the floor and were told that the sponge mop for wholesale dollar store was the only thing available. Should give you an idea of how this place operate. I still have the pictures with my wife cleaning the floor with a dirty towel using her feets “old school”. What a fantastic memories for family vacations. There were no housekeeping offered, fresh/clean towels every 4 days, and not even change the dirty ones. They just enter the room put the towel on the kitchen counter; that is it. Ha! Ha! As an Owner, I get to carry out my own garbage - I might as well have stayed home with all the house work we had to do. Oh! and honestly had to pay $31.25 to use Wi-Fi for the week, even at the cheapest hotels it's free! This resort has become a huge joke.
I requested a 2/2 unit that hold at least 8 persons as I am entitled to on my contract and when I arrive I was informed that I was going to get a 2/2 unit, but I was only allowed to accommodate 6. They could explain this when I made my reservation, but NO! The waited until I showed up on the front desk to tell me, even when I called a week prior to confirm my reservation. So, here I was, in the front desk force to rent an extra room in a nearby hotel to accommodate the rest of the family. You can imagine how upset (for lack of better words) I was. In top of all that, the unit was not a real 2/2, it was 2 connecting rooms. Of course, we made a complaint to the so call “manager” in the front desk, which was non-responsive and could not care less about costumer service protocol. The manager at the front desk was extremely rude, and in my opinion, she needs to rethink her occupation. They all seemed to HATE their jobs! Bottom line, Service is non-existent from the front desk, management and housekeeping. I was extremely disappointed with just about everything in this resort.
If you have read the testimonials, you will notice that I am telling the truth and that not much has changed at this resort in the last 14 years. You will also, notice that the “excellent” reviews are from peoples that just visited this resort once, probably spend more than anybody else, because they did not know any better. The Silver Lake Resort in Orlando, Florida had become something more akin to a decaying Cheap Motel; and I wish I were exaggerating here, after all I am an owner, but sadly, I’m not! This resort had never been a Gold Crown Resort not even 15 years ago, now is just an hack and run-down eyesore. I am warning anyone considering doing business with in this place please, Please, PLEASE, STAY AWAY FROM THEM. After this last episode, I will never stay here again and will never recommend this as a place to stay for even my worst enemy. I would rather stay in a $30 dollar a night hotel than this JUNK of a "resort" again. DON'T LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU. Nothing neat I can say about this "resort".... would not recommend to anyone. I 100% sure that the real owners had no sympathy for what they did to us, just like I have no remorse for writing this review.

Room Tip: You better off staying in a Motel 8 than this JUNK of a "resort"
10  Thank Kim L
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Silverlake (RCI) has a great location however I would NEVER stay at this nasty place again. It reminded me of my first apartment looks good, but later after a closer look-Yuk! You could always hear the toilets flushing upstairs (and next door). It was impossible to get any sleep! You always knew when the people upstairs came in, took a bath, pulled out the sleeper couch, etc. There was a baby crying half the night next door(and a person who whistled to calm the baby down). I paid over a hundred a night so I had to listen to a time share presentation. The person was very nice......but the manager at the end was rude because we didn't want to buy in. They were selling a "Lifestyle". Ha Ha Ha everyone knows that timeshares are a rip-off. Do the math-NEVER buy a timeshare. I know three people with timeshares, they all say the same thing "I wish I had never bought it". We stayed during the week of Christmas in a 2B/2B 1000 unit; old TVs, old towels and they were NOT FULL.

Room Tip: Do not stay here, but if you have no choice pick the top floor it might be a little quieter. Take sl...
6  Thank bapa11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
1.2 km away
10.8 km away
Star Island Resort and Club
Star Island Resort and Club
#22 of 154 in Kissimmee

Been to Silver Lake Resort? Share your experiences!