“Great location and nice resort”
Review of Silver Lake Resort

Silver Lake Resort
Ranked #8 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed there with fiends in February 2012 for 1 week through RCI. The resort was clean and the staff was friendly. The location was centrally located for the Disney attractions. Our unit was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath luxury suite (unit 134). The unit was comfortable though dated (old TVs). The pools at the resort were excellent. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is that our 3rd floor unit did not have an elevator and I had tons of luggage. I suggest staying there and requesting a ground level unit. Not sure if the other buildings had elevators.

Room Tip: If you don't enjoy stairs then request a lower floor unit.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank joe_b_88
There are newer reviews for Silver Lake Resort

Reviewed 16 February 2012

We have just returned from three weeks at the resort. Our one bed apartment was comfortable and spacious with a full kitchen, large washer and dryer and a jacuzzi bath that proved to be excellent for our aged aches and pains! The staff were friendly and efficient, any problems were dealt with speedily. The whole resort was kept very clean and the pool areas were never crowded and the water warm. The apartment was cleaned weekly and all paper towels, coffee, soaps etc. replenished whether we had used them all or not. WiFi cost $26.50 a week but proved very useful to find local amenities. Very close to Disney World and the GPS we brought from the UK proved invaluable. We are members of RCI but were subjected to no sales hassle. There appeared to be a good programme of activities for children.
One tip, if you travelled with Virgin, you can check in your luggage and get your boarding cards in Downtown Disney, West Side, next to the Cirque du Soleil building on your last morning.
Didn't want to come home, especially to temperatures of -10C!

Room Tip: Only drawback in Bldg. 900 was that odd numbered rooms get no sun and are rather gloomy as a result...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Jennifer T
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We checked into Silver Lake on Sunday. We requested a different unit when we arrived at 10 Am which they found for us. They were very kind to us. We had to wait until the normal check in but did all of the paperwork and had use of the facilities in the meantime. They offer an activity package for internet for one computer ( the additional was 5 for the week) USA Today delivered to your door before 9 and other discounts throughout the area and the resort. The connection has been constant and fairly fast although I have not done streaming and do not know how that would work.
The property is well maintained - there are three pools heated very nicely even during the winter. The hot tub is really hot and very large. There are activities at the resort and food and drink at the cabana by the pool. The indoor exercise facility is well equipped. There is a golf simulator but we did not use it. There is a small grocery store on site and they also serve ice cream. They have a counter for tickets to the parks- saw it but did not use that. There is plenty of room for seating in the pool area. they also have beach towels at this resort.
The unit - last year we stayed in a one bedroom overlooking the pool which was very pleasant and well equipped.
This year we are in the 500 building which overlooks a little lake and although it has no elevators and is three stories, we were told that we would have help moving into the upper floors. We ended up on the first floor in one of the largest units I have ever seen. No only was it large but very well maintained and complete with granite counters and nice appliances. The king bed in bedroom one is great - best we have had this winter and we have gone for almost three months. There is a great whirlpool tub as well as a separate shower and plenty of storage and a safe in the closet. Bedroom 2 has 2 double beds which look very comfortable. The is a lock off unit which would possibly make this a 3 bedroom. There is a large stack washer and dryer, a screened in porch with comfortable furniture. The living room has a couch and two stuffed chairs. The dining area has upscale table and stuffed chairs and there is a bar with stools overlooking the kitchen.
Down side of this resort -hmmmm - have not found one. I will say that the 400 building overlooks a road - that is not so hot and we asked to be moved from that building. I have noticed that they are upgrading the furniture in another building. I would suggest you should ask some questions before you arrive if you have a concern. The 600 building does not have any porches or balconies. Each of the buildings seems to have something a bit different, but all seem very nice. We have 4 days left and I will come back again and I will suggest to others to come here. It is a nice resort with nice people at the desk. We even did the timeshare presentation which was not high pressure but very informative.

Room Tip: I liked the buildings by the main pools for convenience and I liked building 500 for the large quiet...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bcirish
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I totally recommend this. Its right next to many attractions including DISNEY AND UNIVERSAL. The 3 pools are amazing and fun, and my sister and I had a blast. Great customer service, VERY clean rooms, great shower. Its also very close to an amazing mini golf place, AND the golden coral. A++++

Tons of activities including; Ice Cream Day, Root Bear Float night, etc.

Late at night when you're in the pool, you can see the lights in the sky from Universal. SO COOL!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great! Worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ben B
Reviewed 12 February 2012

As they are in the business of impressing people with the property to encourage the sale of time shares, in my case they failed. I only stayed overnight, and only experienced one of the small hotel-style rooms, but since first impressions are always critical, I will most likely not be back.

The check-in process was relatively smooth and the young ladies at the front counter were very pleasant and friendly. The first two things that annoyed me for a resort of this alleged caliber was an additional mandatory $16 housekeeping fee and WiFi you had to pay for ($10/night or $40 a week, with limited devices allowed to connect - are you kidding me? There are $40/night motels that offer free, unlimited WiFi). The young lady apparently detected my displeasure at this revelation and since I was only staying overnight and had one laptop, gave me the access codes gratis.

We were then directed to another desk to get our parking passes and directions to the building. On the plus side, there was no attempt or mention of a timeshare pitch, probably since we were guests of a club member. Oddly enough, when I asked this young lady where was a good place to eat, she directed us out into town, never mentioning the very nice bar/grill right there on the property, poolside! Although it was a bit pricy (as to be expected) the food was very good and the service was quick and very pleasant. The pool complex was very impressive and was probably the nicest part of the whole resort (there was also a theater, game room, golfing simulator, and other value added features, but I didn’t try any of them).

There were 3 of us traveling together so at booking time (on the website) we had requested one room with two doubles and one with a queen. It wasn't until we dragged all our stuff up to the rooms (on the 5th floor of the 7000 building - at least they had 3 elevators) that we discovered A) there was only one queen bed in the rooms and B) the key for the other room did not work. Thinking there was a mistake, we hauled everything back down to the car and went back to the front desk. This is when we were introduced to a young man who appeared to be some sort of shift supervisor. The shortness of his temper appeared to match his stature, as the young ladies were all taller then he was. His attitude quickly grated on me, as he explained that our request for double beds at booking meant nothing, and there were no such rooms available, but that we could upgrade to a suite for $400+ dollars a night. Looking at the other reviews, do you see a recurring bait-and-switch to a more costly room thing appearing here? We finally decided to book a 3rd single room and they recoded the key for the ones that did not work. These new keys also did not work, so we had to make a 3rd trip to the front desk.

Finally in our very small rooms, the first thing that struck me was the beat up furniture (the night stands had chunks of lamination missing off the top), the tiny TVs (I think my laptop screen was almost as big), and the over all cheap look of the cabinetry. There was a microwave, a mini-fridge (empty), and an odd assortment of dishes and cups, yet no coffee maker or ice bucket. The only apparent ice machine was on the ground floor outside, near the pool, and I had to use a soup bowl to take some back to the room.

The WiFi login/password given to me at check-in did not work so I decided to call the front desk. There was nothing resembling a facilities phone book to be found so I took a chance and dialed 0. Good guess, as the altitudinally and attitudinally challenged young man answered. After explaining my troubles, I was put on hold for a few seconds and when he returned, I was given a new login and password. On a whim, I tried the old login name and the new password and viola, they worked. Signal was weak and not very fast, but it was enough to check email, Facebook, etc.

Overall the room was clean, the bathroom was large and well provided (although the only horizontal shelf in the tub was barely big enough to hold the complimentary bar of soap – I paid a $16 extra housekeeping fee so yes, I used the complimentary toiletries). The bed was firm, clean and comfortable. On the very small balcony was two chairs and a small table, perfect for a couple to relax (although on the backside of the building the only view consisted of the parking lot and undeveloped scrub land – sort of fitting for my visit up to that point). The guard at the front gate provides a increased feeling of security, like a gated community (the one on duty when we arrived had a heavy Scottish accent and was very pleasant)

First impression summary for the “single bed, hotel-style rooms” and short term exposure to the facilities: Great potential, less than adequate execution, lack of attention to detail. And give that shift supervisor an attitude adjustment or reassign him to a position that doesn’t involve guest interaction. I won’t be back anytime soon.

Room Tip: Don't rely on specific requests via a booking website. Call before arrival to specify requiremen...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gunner0812
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Pretty nice place, we stayed Monday through Friday in January. Everything was great until we found a roach in the bathroom, we tried to look past that and blow it off. Then the next day we found another one in the living room, totally ruined my experience there. We were scared that we might have gotten roaches into our stuff, so we had to go through all of our clothes and suitcases and just HOPED we weren't taking none of them nasty roaches home with us. Its abhorrible feeling having to go through each and every item of clothing and belongings to look for roaches or worst some type of roach egg! Needless to say we will NEVER go back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Beerpolice17
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I will start by saying we have been to Disney 10 times in the last 7 years. I have stayed at the following timeshare properties: Vistana, Westgate, Orange Lake, Mystic Dunes & now Silver Lake so I know what I am talking about! :o)

I will start w/ customer service! As potential owners (and Silver Lake must know that every single guest walking through the door is a potential owner!). We completed check in for our 2 bedroom room and were sent to get a time for our 90 min. timeshare presentation at 5:02pm. As we approached a women starts literally flipping out saying "I close at 5pm, I close at 5pm ... " "I can't help you, I close at 5pm" she then angry tells the people at the front desk she can't help us. Again "it's 5pm, I close at 5pm" OKAY we get it you close at 5pm! To us it's no big deal and we can come back but really you have to throw a fit and that is our 1st impression of Silver Lake. We are excited to be there after a long day of traveling.

We get to our room. We are a family of 6 ... mom, dad & 4 children ages 2-14. According to the Silver Lake website and to our booking agent we booked a 2 bedroom ... one King bed in master bedroom and 2 double beds in 2nd bedroom which is standard in almost all timeshare resorts!!! Well we get 1 king bed and 1 queen bed (+ sleeper sofa) well that isn't going to work for us! My 13 year old son & 14 year old daughter are not going to share a bed! The other two are little girls and are fine in one bed. So we call down and this is where it gets horrible! Get the run around w/ the girl at the front desk. If we want two beds in the 2nd bedroom then we have to pay $175 for the other bed! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? Searched high and low and nothing on their website says such a thing! She promises a manager will call us back. 45 min. later we get a call from a very cocky male manager. After arguing with us says that our 6 person that fits in the room like the website states says that we can upgrade to an 8 person room for the $175 more. 0_0 Then says and I quote "you didn't find the need to call back and verify your reservation and the bed situation" Ummmm no. We vacation all the time and never once have called back the hotel, after they stated we would have two beds in 2nd bedroom, to verify that fact. I mean who would? They had no 2 beds available (so they say) and we could call back the next day. We decided at this point we would not change rooms. We needed to grocery shop that evening and repacking it all and moving was more then a hassle at this point. So our vacation started off bad. :( The 3 girls shared a bed for 7 nights! I will add that another manager did call us a few days later to apologize for our problems we encountered.

Of course b/c of this we in no way intended to buy with this company! We did do the timeshare and our representive said this manager was in trouble for the way he treated several guests! The tour was 90 min. as promised and they did not hastle us in any way to purchase.

As for the room .... it was nice and clean. We were in the 1000 building. Things I did not care for that may or may not influence you: no counter space in kitchen. We stored most dry goods in microwave. My biggest peave is there is NO table on patio! We love eating breakfast at the table on our previous visits to Disney! They have to two chairs a snack table out there. The kids like sitting out there also but with only 2 chairs you can't really do that!

Bed soft enough, pillows comfortable enough. Master bathroom shower was kind of inconveniant. There was no space to put anything but a small bar of soap! I think they would be able to put one small shelf in the corner to put shampoo's etc. They do have Bath & Body Work products which was nice! Bathroom big and roomy though.

Pools nice and big and warm. They have fun activities, live singers etc. A very nice ice cream bar at 2pm. We enjoyed that.

The property was very small and in my opinion aimed for the older crowd. There seemed to be a lot of older couples there. The unit was nice, besides the bed situation, and we ended up having a good trip.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank kelnron05
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
1.2 km away
10.8 km away
Star Island Resort and Club
Star Island Resort and Club
#22 of 154 in Kissimmee

Been to Silver Lake Resort? Share your experiences!