“OK as somewhere to rest your head”

Maingate Lakeside Resort
Ranked #94 of 153 Hotels in Kissimmee
Hastings, United Kingdom
“OK as somewhere to rest your head”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We used this room purely as somewhere to rest our heads at night after a long day at one of the various Parks. It wasn't fancy but it was adequate and we got what we paid for. The room was clean . The beds were made every day. Towels were a bit hit and miss and so we had to ask for extra towels a couple of times during our weeks stay but they were very soon delivered. Staff were friendly and helpful when we asked. All in all it was adequate but no frills whatsoever.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms definately looked better than the one we had which faced the car parks
2 Thank Trishy37

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Finnish first
Toronto
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Over all it was a good experience...the only fault was the toliet and the slow hot water...if it wasn't used in a few hours I had to flush it 4 times to get it working, then it would be fine, there was hot water but it was very slow to warm up, once it did it was fine, other than these 2 problems my stay was fine. The beds were comfy, and the room was clean, the location of the hotel was good. For the money it was well worth the stay and I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Albion, NY
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Let me start by saying that I just checked in tonight. Contrary to the last post, there is free WiFi as I am using it now sitting in my room in building 8. The hotel/resort is well above my expectations based on the reviews I have found here. We almost changed at the last minute, but glad we didn't for the price. With a 10% off coupon the room was $29 a night through hotels.com. The resort fee doesn't bother me at this price and seeing as how we will be using the facilities. The room is basic but large. I have paid way more for a similar room with less square footage. It is a little dated but certainly not antique. Fidge works well and is clean (hard to find clean firdges in budget rooms). There is a new faux marble tub surround. Everything is very clean. We are first floor on the end facing the parking lot. There has been some noise but nothing major. The pool areas were very nice. The pool directly behind out building was not heated as advertised. Although I hve read people complaining about the long walk to the heated pool, everything is very close and it was litterally walking across the street to get to the heated pool which was warm and very large. It looked great at night and there were people sitting at tables outside enjoying the night. The guy who checked us in at the front desk around 8:30pm Sunday 2/19 went above and beyond explaining everything and was extremely friendly and helpful. We went back for more towels after using the pool and the guy was excellent. They delivered four extra towels to our room at 11:30pm. Great service! It is dark but the grounds look pretty nice for what you pay. Restaurants, bar area, and all the things around the front desk look great. I am so excited for this week and relieved at how good the hotel is so far. Well worth the money. No issues with hot water but it is late although we did take 3 different baths. I will update this tomorrow after a daytime at the pool and using the mini-golf course since we aren't hitting the parks tomorrow. Great location for Disney and everything imaginable within walking/short driving distance. The Chinese buffet across the lake looks a little shady in and out, the food doesn't look the best but they had some really good flavor and was open until 11pm on a Sunday.

4 Thank moten33
Tn
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Note: For all those who complain of the water in the shower not being hot, here's what I found. I spent the first 10 minutes of my shower thinking the same thing. However, I finally figured out that the shower knob actually turns counter-clockwise to warm up, as opposed to clockwise. I have NO idea why but got so frustrated and angry that I started fiddling around to see if I could get it any warmer. However if you turn it too far to the right, it goes cold again. There IS hot water but the knob makes NO sense so you really have to just play with it. It goes from lukewarm, to warm, to hot, to cold.

We stayed at the hotel because we won the bid on Travelocity's top secret hotels... They have it listed as a 3 star with a 4 star user rating. However, I would have ranked it as a 2, maybe 3 star. It's clean enough but the facility is old and its age shows. Our TV remote didn't work and when we requested a downstairs unit with 1 king bed as opposed to 2 smaller beds, they were unable to accommodate us. We only stayed for 1 night so we didn't require much. There are no elevators in the 2-story complexes so keep that in mind if you don't want to lug your luggage up stairs. I wouldn't call this a Resort as much as a Motel. All the doors open to the outside and if you have noisy neighbors, you will definitely hear them (whether in or outside their rooms). With the mandatory $7.50 "resort fee" that they tack on to all reservations, it brings the price up to a rate that I would have rather spent elsewhere for someplace nicer and newer. There are plenty of better options in Florida. There is no free internet. There is no free breakfast.

Room Tip: Pick a downstairs unit to avoid lugging your luggage up dirty outside stairs.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Kissimmee2012, Director of Sales at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to wirte. We appriceiate the feedback. I am providing the information to our engineering department to review as well, about the water challenge.
You are correct, there is a resort fee, but that does include Internet access as well.
We do have plans to renovate this year, proceeding building by building as not to disturb our guests. Thank you for the review, we value your time! I do apologize your experience was not one you truly enjoyed, and will send the review along to our Director of rooms to address the issue with cleanliness of the stairwell.

Travellers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2012

good low cost accomodations......coffee in room ......no complaints............

1 Thank rickcardo
Thank you for your comments. As always, I appreciate you taking the time to update us on your stay. We hope to see you again here in the future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We bought $99 Groupon coupon for two night stay in the pool view room including $30 food credit. We saw similar promotion for $39.99 per night from roomsaver.com (it is a hotel coupon book that you can find at the diners or restaurants -- see photo). It means you do not need to use Groupon to get deals. The room interior is decent but we like it. Mattress is little hard. Prepaid breakfast coupon is $8 which is not bad. If not prepaid, breakfast is $9.50. To take advantage of the food credit, buy breakfast coupons or food in the premises and charge them to the hotel room – do not pay cash. When you check out, you will get $30 discount of the total food purchase. It rained so we did not try the pool. Free shuttle to Animal Kingdom is at 9.25 AM and returns at 5.20 PM. Overall experience is good.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank gaby_pa
Portage, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Take home message: If you go into this hotel realizing that you are going to be charged $.8.50/day on top of your room rate for internet, playgrounds, pools, a shabby mini-golf course, and other “conveniences” you probably won’t use, and can live with 1-2 star service, this is your place. They lure you with amenities that you pay separately for, but this is, at best, a 2 star experience.

I wish I’d gotten this review up sooner so that I could have spared some people a bad experience. I have also forgotten some of the things that went wrong and that I didn’t write down during our stay. Here are the things I did write down during our stay.

Stay at this hotel if you enjoy:
- Tepid water at all times of day: noon, always in the A.M., and midnight
- Loose shower handles
- Hearing people talking and using the bathroom through thin walls
- Leaf blowing outside of your room at 8AM
- Peeling bathtub finish
- Sloppy post-hurricane remodels and ceiling patches
- Popcorn ceilings sprayed so thick that they literally fall onto the floor
- A shallow, alligator/mosquito pond
- Loose/missing baseboard
- A nearby Walgreens that upcharges everything (VERY expensive)
- Very small playground with debris in the sand (no maintenance)
- A “business center” that charges you by the minute, by the fax, and by the print
- No fitted sheets
- And fees and surcharges upcharging you 15% or more than your online rate that you will be told you can pay or forfeit your prepaid reservation
- Unresponsive management and rude staff that curses in front of your kids
- Spotty housekeeping. Sometimes there before 3pm. Sometimes not. Sometimes bring you towels. NEVER bring you the number of towels/washrags that were originally in the room. Sometimes leave them hanging outside on your doorknob in a sack while you’re gone all day.

I booked online via Priceline. I originally got a hotel for $24 per night, but it had many bad reviews. After inquiring, the hotel refunded my money and I bid higher on Priceline. I got this hotel. I had stayed there previously (a year before) and have stayed at this location twice for a total of 35 days in the past 16 months. During our first stay, I only paid $21 for the room per night. So when they applied a $6.00 per night “convenience fee,” I didn’t complain. That is JUST what they’re counting on. The second stay, the fee had gone up to $8.50 and the winning bid rate was higher. I complained and said I didn’t want to pay any surcharges. They said I could simply not check in, but that I would have to take up any refund with Priceline. I called Priceline, and they said that their “terms” indicate I agreed to pay any additional hotel fees. They could not help me nor would they be refunding any money. Note: book via Travelocity. They at least help with problems. So, I wrote on the check in form that “I was not given the option to decline fees.” and signed it. DO NOT SIGN THE FINAL CHECKOUT FORM, EITHER, TO AUTHORIZE THE CHARGES. The moment I checked out, I contested the fees via my credit card. The sad part is, the management said that they would waive ½ the fees because of the terrible experiences we had while staying here (see above), but then at checkout, the counter person said, “I see the notation in the computer, but only a manager can waive the fees, and there won’t be one here today.” So that was useless. This hotel is one disappointment after the other.

Pros: big screen TV by pool some evenings showing movies. Fridge. Pools nice. Safe in room. Quiet A/C. Adequate surface area (counter tops, table, etc.). Relatively clean/tidy.

Cons: Housekeeping might move your stuff (organize your shoes; arrange stuff you’ve left lying around); all of above. Close to Disney, IHOP, and other restaurants.

I also have video of our room doorhandle, which look like it had survived a break in attempt, and some other issues, but was unable to post video.

Room Tip: Get room away from parking lots to avoid screaming families at 7am.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family