New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Nice Quiet Getaway Place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sea Lord Hotel & Suites

Sea Lord Hotel & Suites
Worldwide
“Nice Quiet Getaway Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

I’ll start this review by saying that I will definitely return to the Sea Lord now that I know what to expect and understand it’s fit with my travel plans. This was my first visit to Lauderdale by the Sea and I liked it a lot. Bordered by the geriatric Galt Ocean Mile, Fort Lauderdale proper and an endless mass of strip malls, this sleepy little neighborhood is a great oasis on the ocean. The street bordering the ocean (where the Sea Lord is located) is made up of funky old motor lodges and hotels from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s now trying regain their past glory as vacation rentals, condos or retro-sheik motels. Some are pulling it off, some remain a memory of the past. The Sea Lord thankfully gets it right. Located right on the sand and surf, it’s location is as good as you can get. It’s an old property with a creaky elevator and a Motel 6 type layout but the owners have thrown a good amount of cash and thought into making the rooms classy, spotless and a cozy. For the most part they have succeeded and the Sea Lord is a great combination of luxury and down to earth, laid-back hospitality.

It’s important to understand what this property is and isn’t. It’s a luxurious hotel but don’t hesitate for one second to hit Publix and drag your beer and food past the front desk to your room where you may even find a kitchenette. On the flip side, the room furnishings are luxurious and have great touches (like an iPod docking station) yet the bath towels are so thin you could probably read a newspaper through them. The very laid back downstairs lobby combines poolside, check-in area and breakfast area all in one. Expect a basic but sustaining breakfast lineup served on Styrofoam dinnerware. If you need to forage, walk an easy two blocks where you will find a smattering of tourist and local joints and as predicted, the closer to the surf the tackier the menu and worse the food. But great views reward and after all, this is what we come to the beach for.

By my own admission I am a fussy traveler and a few things got to me. The in-room wi-fi was out so I had to trudge to the lobby for emails. A really bad storm hit at night and I awoke at 0200 and put my feet in water. The southside windows leaked like a sieve and rainwater flooded 80% of my room out; no worries it dried the next day. Alternatively the front desk staff were friendly, the views amazing and the neighborhood was quiet and mercifully void of the all too typical overbearing Miami beach schmaltz.

If you want a laid back, unpretentious and classy getaway, give the Sea Lord a try.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ElvisPWorldwide

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Serbian first
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

We stayed in an oceanfront king room on the 5th floor and our view was fabulous. The room was a good size and was certainly decent enough. The bed was very comfortable although we found it odd that the tv was not easily viewed if one was trying to watch from bed. There was a loveseat in front of the tv if you wanted to sit, but we like to view the tv while relaxing in bed. A minor issue, but something that we noted.

For us to give a five star rating, we have certain expectations and these weren't all met. Little things can make all the difference in the level of service. I would probably give the hotel more of a 3.5 star rating realizing that improvements are being made, but that wasn't an option, so I give you a 4 because you're definitely more than a 3 - and the beach is spectacular, thus a higher rating.

The bathroom was certainly a letdown. The bathtub was anything but comfortable - I swear the kitchen sink was deeper! The towels, particularly the "bath" towels would have to be upgraded for sure! When we asked for extra towels they were provided promptly.

I did like the closet/dressing room area before entering the bathroom but the lighting was abysmal. Burned out light bulbs should be replaced with the next service to the room and both the dressing room and bathroom had burned out lights for our entire stay. I'm sure this would have been attended to had we asked, but things like this should be checked daily.

The kitchen area has obviously been upgraded and it's nice enough. We ate out so didn't cook, but it was nice to have a little kitchen. A tea kettle and teapot would have been appreciated, but I realize tea isn't popular everywhere. I truly believe dish soap should be provided.

The pool area was nice and we used it some of the time but we spent most of our time on the beach and in the water and it was fabulous. The beach is beautiful, the water was warm, the weather was hot and sunny - it had rained for a few days before we arrived and then was beautiful the entire time we stayed. We arrived on the 10th and left on the 16th and the weather was cloudy and windy when we left and made our departure a little easier!

Everyone was friendly enough most of the time, including the construction workers who were working on the fountain. Felt ignored a couple of times in the lobby area, but most of the time everyone we encountered was friendly and smiling.

Never did make it down early enough for the continental breakfast so can't comment on that. It looked like a nice breakfast - didn't see teapots there either! :)

The fellow that checked us in had told us about Aruba's and the Village Grill restaurants and we were happy he did! Both places had the best food, service and entertainment and we had great fun and many fabulous meals. Huge meals. We did an 18 night cruise and didn't gain any weight, then we disembark the ship and find these two restaurants and pack on the pounds! Meatloaf Monday at the Village Grill is highly recommended!!

The neighbourhood was very nice, easy to walk around, felt safe and comfortable. The entertainment in Aruba's was very good and we enjoyed a couple of bands very much. On the Friday night the Village Grill had a band playing outside their restaurant and it was great fun. Lots of people of all ages, vacationers, neighbourhood residents, everybody having a good time.

We had a fabulous vacation that ended in Lauderdale by the Sea and will definitely be back. We would probably stay at the Sea Lord again as it was a nice place, it just wasn't quite up to what we were expecting. Again, it was decent enough, just not five star....

Room Tip: We very much enjoyed the fifth floor - the view was spectacular. We didn't hear noise from the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank normaraeofsunshine
st.john's
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

We just got back from a 3 night stay here and were very happy we chose the Sealord! I did research it a little and there weren't many reviews to go on but we were a little leery because there were a couple of bad ones.We wanted something on the beach and not a highrise and we got exactly wnat we wanted.It was directly on the beach and we had a patio overlooking the the ocean,even though the palm trees blocked it a little. We stayed in room 202 and it was very nice and clean. Full kitchen and bedroom with 2 beds. We ate in the little restaurant located in the lobby for breakfast which was complimentary. Nothing bad to say about this hotel at all we would stay there again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Peoria, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I usually stay at the High Noon Resort in Lauderdale by the Sea but they were booked up so I checked into the Sea Lord for a 3 day weekend in late October.  I like the grounds better at High Noon, BUT the rooms were MUCH nicer at Sea LordThey are doing some construction in a courtyard area & we were concerned it may be noisy..NOT the case at all.  Very quiet.  We had a room on the fifth floor.  Looked like it has recently been updated...VERY nice, clean..Had microwave & small fridge. Bed was exceptional!!!  Everything in the room looked new.  Don't let the lobby area and elevator discourage you.  Room was NICE and new.Full Breakfast was fair.  Didn't use pool.  Outside lounging area is small, but steps right onto the beach.It is about 4 blocks to good resturants & bars.Sea Lord is my new home for the quarterly trips I take to Lauderdale.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
OlgaSeaLord, Front Office Manager at Sea Lord Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. The renovations of the common areas will be finished in no time. Come and visit us again soon!

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Upon arrival I was informed that the room I had a reservation for and conformation was not available. Since I booked a certain room because I enjoy the view from that room, this did not start my vacation off to a good start. I find that the Sea Lord has forgotten why people come to the Florida, to be at the beach. However the way things are currently set up if you want to sit by the pool at night you can not, nor can you get to the Ocean through the hotel. If you want to walk the beach in the evening you must go out front and walk down to a public entrance. I found the front desk staff does not know the meaning of hospitality.
The rooms are nice and clean and the cleaning staff was friendly and helpful. However after my third trip to this hotel I found all in all it is not worth the price and I wont be back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kvjcniti
OlgaSeaLord, Front Office Manager at Sea Lord Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 17 September 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay at The Sea Lord Hotel & Suites and for sharing your concerns with us.
We apologize about the inconvenience of getting a different room. We understand how important it is for our repeat guests to have that particular room that they like. However, the room that you have requested originally was not available due to some maintenance issues. We thought that a complimentary upgrade to an Oceanfront King Suite on the same floor would compensate for that. I’m sorry to hear that you were not happy with the ocean views form that room. We usually are able to notify a guest in advance about any changes with his reservation. But when last minute changes occur we rely on guest’s understating and try our best to accommodate his needs.
Although Lauderdale-by-the-sea is probably the safest little town in America, the gate to the beach is kept close at night starting at 10 pm until 6 am for your security. However, before 10 pm the way to the beach is fully accessible through the hotel. It is unfortunate that this issue had such a significant impact on your experience.
Our goal is to make sure all our guests have a great time while at The Sea Lord Hotel & Suites, that’s why your feedback is so important to us. It gives us an opportunity to grow and improve. We hope to have to welcome you back again and I would like to personally ensure your next experience is enjoyable. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kokomo, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

We've been there twice this year and loved it both times. Olga was very helpful with any questions we had. The views are amazing, along with the private beach area! The only drawback is if you're not on an upper floor, you can hear the folks stomping above you. We could sometimes hear the people next door, but it was during the day and was never a problem. The private balconies are a wonderful welcome to partake of the ocean view. You can rent lounge chairs for $5/day and sometimes they have umbrellas you can use for free. They usually require a 4-day stay, but both times we were able to work it out with Olga to only stay 3 days. This is the place for us whenever we get to come back & visit our daughter!

Room Tip: For the best view, you'll want a Jr. Suite on the 4th or 5th floor. We've stayed in 401 &am...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you enjoyed another memorable summer vacation at The Sea Lord Hotel & Suites. Thank you for joining us once again. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience as it’s very important for us and allows us to improve the quality of service we provide. I regret to know that your relaxing stay was disturbed by the noise from your neighbors. However, I am grateful that it didn’t effect your enjoyable experience with us and we will have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

We had an ocean view room and it was absolutely wonderful. I would definitely stay here again. The owners were lovely people and all the staff were very kind. The hotel was very, very clean.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank SunscreenSally
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words about The Sea Lord Hotel & Suites. We’re thrilled you enjoyed your stay and time spent in Lauderdale-by-the-sea. We hope that your travels bring you back to The Sea Lord Hotel in the future! Thank you again for your kind feedback.

reservations@sealordhotel.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauderdale by the Sea
0.8 km away
1.2 km away
Tides Inn
Tides Inn
#5 of 30 in Lauderdale by the Sea

Been to Sea Lord Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!