“Heaven on Earth”

Casa del Mar Beach Resort
Lakeland, Florida
“Heaven on Earth”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Our first trip to Casa del Mar was over July 4, 1973. Our daughters were 2 & 5. Some things are just too memorable to forget, and that first visit we stayed in condo 3C. That location was perfect for our young family with two very young swimmers. That "blind date" was the beginning of a long love affair between our family & Casa del Mar. After a few years we saw a new manager (DM Williams) come & things just kept getting better & better. The grounds are gorgeous & perfectly cared for & the staff bends over backwards to care for their guests. Over the next 38 years very few things have made us miss our time there. Both our daughters were married on the beach at Longboat Key and then our granddaughters started arriving. Somewhere along the way our extended family & friends started joining us, and now we fill 6-10 condos the week or two before Memorial Day every year. On top of that most years my husband & I go back for another week or two in the fall. We travel a lot (which is fun but can be exhausting) and we tell anyone who will listen that our time at Casa del Mar & Longboat Key is our true vacation. Casa del Mar will NOT disappoint you! It is perfect for everyone as far as I can tell! But don't come Memorial weekend!

Room Tip: There are no specific "kids activities" but your kids will never know that. Building sand...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My family has been vacationing at Casa del Mar for over 30 years and absolutely love it! Everything from the units, the beach, tennis courts, gardens, staff, grills etc. are all excellent. Can't wait to be there again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 27 December 2011

It was my absolute pleasure and privilege to spend almost three weeks at Casa del Mar this past September. This was a business trip that turned out to be a remarkable "pleasure cruise." I had stayed in several different places on Longboat Key over the past six years, not all great experiences, so when Casa was recommended I exercised due diligence and called the office for information. My list of questions was answered courteously and succinctly, and upon completion I was completely sold that this resort was with a doubt a step above. I was alerted to the fact that the unit next to mine was undergoing renovation, but that they enforced strict rules regarding when the work could be done. Bottom line I was gone before they started at 9 AM and by 5 PM when I returned they were gone for the day. I was never disturbed in any way.
My unit upon arrival was superb, and exactly as described on the website. I was asked to make a list of anything I was concerned about and it would be taken care of immediately. I discovered a few minor things that I suggested needed attention and the maintenance person was there fifteen minutes later to attend to my needs.
The location of Casa is perfect, a few miles from a major grocery store and shopping centre, and minutes away from Bradenton, with even more shopping opportunities. Both Bradenton and Sarasota are equal distance, but the pearl of Longboat Key, St. Armand's Circle, is but minutes away. There you will find a plethora of speciality stores and fabulous restaurants.
Casa del Mar is directly on the Gulf of Mexico, and the beach is just steps from any unit. While the beach is remarkable, even more remarkable are the grounds around Casa. It is inundated with beautiful foliage, flowers, gardens and fruit trees. The General Manager of the facility D.M. Williams has created a personal Garden of Eden, to include Guinness World Record cotton trees. The orchid garden is paradise. In the office there was always a bowl of fruit offered gratis to the vacationers.
While I could continue praising the facility I need to give credit where credit is due and that is to D.M. Williams. The complex under his management is meticulously run. He is there on the premises seven days a week supervising every detail. He walks the grounds early in the morning, and then again at night, as is always seen chatting with the guests poolside. There is no detail that escapes his eye. The office staff is just as competent and will go well out of their way to accommodate any of your needs.
Out of curiosity I read the negative reviews posted on this site. Knowing how hard I am to please, and that compliments do not come easily for me, I wanted to know what people were disappointed in. My advise to anyone is don't just go to a web site and blindly choose a vacation rental. Do your research, call the resort, and ask questions. Ask about child friendly facilities, ask about the furnishings in the unit you choose, ask about any inconveniences you might experience in that particular time frame. I asked all of those questions and received satisfying answers for each. I knew what to expect, and only discovered that Casa del Mar was even better than I had expected.
The only downside to posting this review on TripAdvisor is that that only offer five stars, because Casa del Mar is unequivocally a Ten Star resort.

Room Tip: Do your research, call the resort, and ask questions.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Toronto
Reviewed 1 December 2011

My husband and I just spend 10 days at this wonderful resort. The grounds are beautiful and the heated pool is huge and very very clean. It is steps from an amazing beach that goes forever to the north and south of the beach. Longboat Key and Anna Maria Island (10 minutes from each other) are my favourite parts of Florida. There are amazing restaurants and the whole area is very casual, which we really like. The sunsets on the beach are breathtaking and the management team did a good job looking after us and were very accomodating. The resort is very well landscaped and very secure. We can't wait to return.
Tennis courts are perfectly kept and they have racquets one can borrow if you don't care to bring your own.

Room Tip: All The rooms are good. We were not on the beach but couldn't have cared less. The whole place...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank foxpointdwight
Brentwood, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 23 November 2011

My husband and I can't say enough wonderful things about Casa del Mar on beautiful Long Boat Key. It is our favorite vacation spot on Earth. In fact, we married on the beach there in August of 2002. The very best property manager on Earth, D.M. Williams, performed our ceremony. He has taken special care of the Casa del Mar property for years, and wonderful care of it's guests. The landscape is beautifully manicured.... You might think you were in Hawaii if you didn't know better. The palm trees and thousands of flowering blossoms along the sidewalks give you a sense of serene privacy. The entire staff is friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a peaceful and beautiful getaway, we suggest you try Casa del Mar.
--Danley & Christy McDonel, Brentwood, TN

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DanleyMcDonel
florida
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Our first visit, will not be the last. Beautiful resort, very friendly and accommodating staff. It is not a high rise which makes the vacay so much more relaxing...no elevators and no gate keys to hassle with for the pool and beach. It has ground floor and 2nd floor apartments. There is no elevator. There are Gulf front units and Courtyard units all with an amazing view of the tropical landscaping ot the water. Very laid back place, everyone was friendly and we met a lot of great guests from all over. Beach chaises are comfy and free! You can rent beach umbrellas for a reasonable fee. Celebrating Mom's 86 and my sister's 60th BD, our Cousin and I (50's). Our Apartment was the BEST! Unit 8A, a lovely first floor 2 brm/2ba, fully equipped kitchen steps away from the turquise Gulf. The apartments come supplied with a starter set of bath soap, dishwasher and dish soap, toilet paper and laundry soap for the stackable washer and dryer. They supply you with all the bath towels you need, and beds are made with fresh clean linens. After the starter supplies run out a Publix Grocery store and CVS Drug store is right down the street. We booked a week, then my cousin noticed online a September special, stay one week get one week free! Wow 2 weeks of paradise. The staff gave my Mom and Sister each a bottle of Casa Del Mar red wine and some limes for their birthdays that they grew on the oh so lovely tropical landscaped grounds. The resort also has an Orchid Garden that is like a Zen area of tranquility, a little fountain, a soothing place to go and sit...if you can tear yourself away from the Gulf! The resort has tennis courts, a nice big pool overlooking the Gulf, and an outdoor barbeque section with 8 gas grills!!! ST Armands Circle (shopping) and Lido Beach are close by (about 15 minute drive). Lots of great restaurants close by and in neighboring Anna Maria Island. We collected lots of pretty shells and a few sand dollars. Our washing machine had a problem and they were very prompt in fixing it. The AC worked great and the showers were good with plenty of hot water. King size bed in one bedroom, sofa bed in living, and twin beds in the other brm, I stayed in one of the twins and it was a very comfortable bed, with good pillows. We drank tropical drinks and enjoyed some phenomenal sunsets from one of the tiki huts overlooking the beach. I love this place soooooo much!!! It was a very special time of family bonding and lots of girly fun stuff. However, when those sunsets came, I really missed my honey, and I cannot wait to bring him here for a romantic visit.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor (Gulf front) units provide a better "view" of the water, but the 1st floor...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Cindy L
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We have been there twice this year and have booked for twice in 2012! Love the accommodations, 2 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms with a great masters kitchen, a very cozy dining area and large living room and 2 flat-screen TVs to enjoy, with the patio,that has a table & 4 chairs plus umbrella and 2 lounge chairs w/ small table
with a beautiful beach view! Just a few steps from a large heated pool or the warm waters of the Gulf! Both are very relaxing and peaceful! Our kind of vacation, the staff is friendly and always available to meet any needs we might have! The richness of the beautiful flowers and foliage surrounding the Casa del Mar, reminded us of our stay in Hawaii! We have been to 32 countries and many of the most famous beach resorts in the world and the Casa del Mar in LBK is the best of the BEST!!We also like being near St.Armands Circle, fun for shopping or lunch & dinner! We love it! Thank-you to Julie & Joan for making our stay very special! Mr. Jesse & Jennifer Gonzalez

Room Tip: All the rooms seem very nice! Take a look at their web site and click on a room and the view you get...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1.0 km away
Sea Club 1
Sea Club 1
#5 of 20 in Longboat Key

Been to Casa del Mar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!