All reviewscookiessunrise roomyellow roomturn down serviceacross the streetbed and breakfastspa poolthe main housecreole roomattention to detailmy husband and icarriage housefrench toastmangrove suitewedding anniversarysoft music playinghot tub
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay at Port d’Hiver. We discovered this property after doing extensive research online and, as always, we relied heavily upon the reviews of our fellow TripAdvisor aficionados. There were so many glowing comments about this Bed & Breakfast that we felt comfortable going there … sight unseen … and it turned out to be a wonderful leap of faith! Now, in return, we’d like to share our observations with fellow travelers who may also be considering a stay in Melbourne Beach (and more specifically, Port d’Hiver). This little boutique hotel is magnificent in every way. It is charming without being tacky and elegant without being stuffy. We stayed in the Sunrise Room and it is beautiful. Its tropical, warm décor (along with that glorious Jacuzzi tub) provided us with the relaxation we were hoping for. We also had the fun of getting to peek inside several of the other rooms and each was equally tasteful and filled with charm. We would have been happy in ANY one of them!! Although their website is superb at providing prospective visitors with every detail and photo they could want in planning their stay, I’m not sure you can fully capture the “feel” of this peaceful place until you are there in person. There is warmth and easiness that is so welcoming and was exactly what we were looking for. My husband and I had just come from dropping our twin daughters off at college and we needed a little getaway to “soften the blow”. The Port d’Hiver did just that for us … and exceeded every expectation we had. The breakfasts are GLORIOUS, the afternoon cookies delightful, and we LOVED the evening gathering hour (complete with beer, wine, and tasty appetizers). It was the perfect opportunity to unwind and chat with our fellow guests. For those of you concerned about the price, bear in mind that your room rate includes all of the delicious food and drink mentioned above, unlimited snacks and waters poolside, beach equipment (chairs, umbrellas, etc.), nighttime desserts on your pillow, usage of beach cruiser bicycles, and probably many other things I am neglecting to mention. But for my husband and me, it was the intangibles that mattered the most … the friendliness of the entire staff, the sound of the ocean waves crashing in the distance, and just the complete tranquility we felt by being there. We left (albeit reluctantly) feeling recharged … and very grateful for having stumbled upon this beautiful little place. We’d like to send fond greetings to Mike, Linda, Kay, Deena, Erica, Patricia, and Curt. Each of you played a part in making our stay so nice and we’d like to thank you for that. I can promise you that these empty-nesters will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Netta55
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We booked the Sunrise Room for Spring Break and it was a wonderful experience. The folks provided a personal welcome card on the bed upon our arrival along with the beautiful music of Norah Jones playing in the background. Every night there was a special dessert left for us as well! The breakfasts were fantastic as was the complimentary happy hour and snacks, but, for us, the best part was our balcony looking out onto the ocean (across the street, but wonderful nonetheless). We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jaguarken
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This B&B is an oasis of perfection on a section of the Florida coast that has little to recommend it. The beaches are great but the area is mostly a collection of very ordinary motels and fast food dives. I found this little gem after extensive research. We were travelling from north to south and needed to break the journey. To be honest I had become quite resigned to having to stay in a pretty basic, until I found this extraordinary place. It is on the corner of the road, opposite the beach. Blink and you would miss it. From the outside it is pretty but the real surprise is once you enter the rooms. We stayed in the Havana, a gorgeous room with an exceptionally hitch ceiling, a beautiful wrought iron chandeliers and a princess in the pea bed. The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath and was equally well appointed. The bed had a mattress from heaven and the softest bed linen. In the communal lounge area, there is a selection of homemade cookies that had everyone going back for more and between 5pm and 6pm complimentary wine and appetisers are served. Next to the parking area, beach chairs, boogie boards, sun umbrellas, buckets and spades are provided along with water and snacks. Everything has been thought of to enhance ones stay. Fantastic! However the surrounding amenities are pretty average with the exception of the beach, which was great.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank fleetoffoot
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at Port d'Hiver for 4 nights and loved every minute of it. The facility is just beautiful and so serene. The service was fabulous. The food devine! We can only say great things about our stay. We stayed in the Havana Room and loved it. The decor was lovely, up to date, and classic. The other rooms (we toured a few of them) were just as lovely, if not even BETTER! We have already recommended it to many friends and relatives.

We booked the trip to have a couples escape from our three young boys. It was just what we needed. We left relaxed, rejuvenated, and reconnected as a couple! We anxiously await our return to the romantic destination!

Room Tip: Havana was lovely. Carriage House is most expensive, but after our tour appears to be worth the $$. Also, the Mangrove Suite - we only saw it from the outside - but it is where we want to stay next - very private and looks gorgeous!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My partner and I stayed in this B&B from last Tuesday night(7/31/12) through this morning (Saturday 8/4/12). We were pleasantly surprised to find how accomodating and friendly the entire staff were, not to mention all the little extra, thoughtful things, such as soft music turned on during turndown service, ice brought to the room twice a day, complete with bottles of spring water, a nice, little baked treat, tastefully wrapped with a ribbon and left on the pillow (at turndown),along with too many things to list here. Another nice feature was being able to have breakfast brought to you right on your balcony, complete with coffee service. The food was always of excellent quality. Staff was always available for whatever one might need. The rooms were open and airy and spotlessly clean. We stayed our first few nights in the Yellow Room, which was a lovely room with very modern, but tasteful decor, not to mentiona huge whirlpool type tub and open glass shower. Our last night, due to a last minute decision to stay an extra night was in the Sunrise Room. My only complaint about the room is a queen sized bed as opposed to a queen. My partner is 6' 4", so sleeping was a little more "tight" that we are accustomed to. However, since the last minute change was our decision, they could only give us what was available--and that was it. The new room was otherwise beautifully and tastefully decorated and came with the same wonderful service as the other room. The entire place has a distinct Key West sort of feeling, and is obviously the best place one could stay in Melbourne Beach. What a relaxing and attractive getaway! This was my partner's and my 15th anniv. and we wanted something special. Here I will also note that being we are a gay couple and sometimes places we have stayed have been less than stellar in the "friendly department". However, this resort is truly gay friendly and you can tell they are sincere, and not just trying too hard to appear as such. We felt 100% welcome at this establishment, as well as completely comfortable in their fantastic rooms. There is only one thing that I would mention that I hope they might consider for the future: being that there are not too many places to stay in Melbourne Beach of this caliber, and, it is not cheap to stay there, it would be a nice change if they would allow those of us who are light smokers, to be able to enjoy a cigar or occasional cigarette on the outside private, balcony that belongs to each room. The entire property is tobacco free. However, this is somewhat of an inconvenience to guests like us, who only smoke when we drink wine or cocktails, and when doing that, it is always outside, even at our own home. After wine in the room, we had to step outside the B&B grounds just to have a cigarette when it wouldn't have been any trouble simply to have supplied an ashtray for the outside balcony table. Just an idea that I hope management might consider. Either way, I would still stay here again, as this is a CLASS A establishment, with a wonderful and very friendly and accomodating staff. We would like to sincerely thank Port D'Hiver for making our 15th anniv. a memorable experience for us and hope to be able to stay with you all again soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple