“Greetings and service”

Ranked #69 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Denver
“Greetings and service”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I travel for work and wanted to experience more of Miami Beach so tried to get close to the shore. This hotel is just a block from the beach near Miami City offices and what appears to be old town Coconut Grove. It is within walking distance of a park at the Marina and several other sites. The staff greeted me every single time I walked in the door, had suggestions on sightseeing, gave me directions, and were incredibly helpful. It was great.

The hotel is a little older than some hotels in the area and is made up of several buildings around a parking lot. There's a garage below the main building that's a little tricky to drive into due the angles up, down and then the way parking is laid out. It did work but took some getting used to. There's a daily fee for parking but sometimes it's included in the rate package.
All of the spaces I used - public areas, garage, my room were maintained and clean. Everything was in working order. I used the laundry facilities which had 3 coin operated washers and dryers. The fitness center had 3 treadmills, 2 elipticals, free weights and a cycling machine and was located right off the lobby. The pool is outside.

I tried to extend my stay but the hotel was booked. It's a good place to stay, complimentary hot breakfast and evening manager's reception both of which were very popular.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Melissa R, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear pdtravel1,
I would like to first off thank you very much for taking the time to post a response for our hotel. I apologize that we were not able to extend your stay with us. We greatly enjoy having long term guest with us. It allows us to develop a great relationship with our guest, and allows us more time to exceed your expectations. Thank you again for your review, we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I enjoyed my recent stay at the Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove. Booked on marriot.com and am glad that I got the room + parking package, which made my parking cost $1. This is an older building, somewhat confusing at first but after that it makes sense. The driveway entrance is very steep and very short - had to back up into the street when the truck in front of me needed to exit. Once I actually got into the lobby the desk clerk was friendly and checking in was quick. Parking underground would be a bit challenging if you have a large vehicle - the height restriction is 6'5" I think. My rental Impala fit in just fine and I felt secure behind that big gate.

My room was in building 3 (the same as the lobby) and the elevator in the basement parking went straight up to my floor. Very convenient! The room itself was fairly standard, seemed clean and everything worked. I didn't like that the desk faced away from the TV - usually I like to work on my laptop with the TV on in front of me. (Granted, I mostly listen to TV but still...)

Breakfast was adequate - scrambled eggs every day, Activia and Light n Fit yogurt, oatmeal, waffle machines (2). They should clean (or replace) the toasting machine. During the 3 days I stayed there, something burned every day and once there was actual fire.

I recommend visiting the Fresh Market which is very close by - perhaps 3 minute drive. Similar to a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's - great fresh produce, good selection of food to bring back to the hotel.

Room Tip: My room faced Tigertail and while noisy during the day it did quiet down at night.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear amyemilia,
I would like to first off thank you very much for taking the time to post a response for our hotel. I am very glad that you booked this package with us; we began to offer this package to give guest the chance to have the parking at a lower rate. The layouts of our rooms are due to the furniture used, we will be going into renovations within the next year, and reviews like this help us understand what our guest need to have their room work to their benefit. We hope to have you join us again in the future, and again we thank you for your review.
Danville
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We wanted to come down to Miami Beach and see the Art Deco area of South Beach. However when I got to looking at the accomodations, I wasn't real happy with the reviews I was reading. We are in our 60s and aren't party all night-type of people. I didn't like the idea of a smallish room even though it was in a historic Art Deco hotel. In talking with an old friend, she recommended Coconut Grove area and this Residence Inn appeared to be a pretty good place to stay for a couple of nights. We drove into South Beach, spent the entire day taking tours and looking around, then came to Coconut Grove to rest up and enjoy the warm weather.

We stayed in a 5th floor room with 2 queen beds. Large room, full kitchen (which we really didn't use, other than the ice maker), nice TV, old plumbing fixtures , nice & clean. I'm guessing this an old building based on the round ball control plumbing fixtures. At least they have instructions on the shower wall to help you figure out how to get hot water.
Secure parking in basement garage that was $15/day. It was very convenient to get luggage in & out of car to & from room.

Internet speed isn't sufficient to handle lots of data but it doesn't work (albeit with slow response) to bring up email and do tourist related research.

Breakfast was very nice, raisin bran & fresh fruit, hot scrambled eggs, sausage one day and bacon the next, lots of table space (especially for the number of people eating at 8:45).

Within walking distance to CoCoWalk, which has several eating choices that were very nice. We never were around the hotel to sample their evening food offerings but the desk staff made us aware that there was food available.

Front desk staff, the lady that serviced the breakfast area and the staff we met in the hall were all friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank golfergeo
Dear Holidayhelp Toronto,
I would like to first off thank you very much for taking the time to post a response for our hotel. We find our location is very good for guests who want to be close to restaurants and tourist attractions without the volume that can occur at the Beach front properties. During the breakfast everyone in the hotel pitches in to ensure that every guest is able to sit, and obtain their meal without complication. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that you will be returning to our hotel soon.
Toronto
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Stayed at Residence Inn on January 28th and 29th as a last minute booking for a post cruise stay. We had prepaid for these dates at Cocostyle (as we had spent 11 nights there pre-cruise) but were left high and dry by the Cocostyle rental agent who did not show up to meet us at the condo and did not return calls or emails. Not only did she not provide us with the paid for accommodation, she also did not return items that we had left in storage with her. As I was travelling with my senior parents, this was quite traumatic for them. While using the computer in the lobby to email Cocostyle, I forgot my purse in the lobby. When I went back, the front desk staff had my purse (all contents intact) behind the desk for me. I cannot thank them enough for their help during a very stressful day.
The location is superb as we could see Cocowalk from our balcony and it is within walking distance to all the Grove restaurants and shops. The one bedroom suite was clean, spacious and had a full kitchen. The breakfast was amazing and the manager stopped by every table to check on each guest. Would definitely stay here and recommend this property.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank holidayhelpToronto
Dear Holidayhelp Toronto,
I would like to first off thank you very much for taking the time to post a response for our hotel. I apologize for the issues you had with the company Cocostyle, although I am not familiar with them I do personally remember when we located your purse. I hope that you will be planning to stay with us again in your next cruise trip. We have many pre and post cruise packages, which help guest, start their vacation prior to leaving the port. Again thank you for your review, and we hope to serve you again.
Ottawa
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Bottom Line: I will stay at this hotel again. While it is border line for certain customer service items, I hope they can fix these. The location is second to none for Miami and for families.The hotel is clean, the breakfast good, and most of the staff professional.

Coconut Grove is an excellent location for families. My wife and young son could walk everywhere with no problem while I was away at work. no beaches but nice parks, a kids gym, shops and a starbucks.

The hotel is a bit odd. Not your standard Residence Inn, but all the fundamentals are there. The "interior" of the hotel is really an outside compound where you find the rooms, the parking, the pool etc... All of this seems all right for Florida. The secure parking is a bonus and provides nice peace of mind.

The room, in our case a one bedroom suite, was very clean with all the amenities of a Residence Inn. The house keeping was erratic. Some days it was cleaned with extra care, other days just a quick once through. Never dirty though. For some reason, towels are not in abundance.

The customer service was also erratic. Some front desk clerks not greeting guests who come and go, breakfast staff not clearing tables in time.It seems, at times, only the managers were interested in the welfare of the customers, while the employees were not so much, particularly the front desk. Not trying to make a blanket statement, but definitely these employees need to be aware of some of the finer points of customer service

The biggest annoyances, however, was that the cable in the bedroom would mysteriously cut out. And the phone in the bedroom would also mysteriously ring in the night, sometimes long, sometimes short. Some minor technical glitches, not show stoppers, but glitches. I don't know why these things would happen.

Room Tip: Choose high room to not hear pool noise
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank zapoko
Dear Zapoko,
I would like to first off thank you very much for taking the time to post a response for our hotel. We strive in providing our guest with the best service at all times and also providing them with all the luxuries at home. Although we are a hotel our Housekeeping Staff provides a different service then that of a standardized hotel. We provided what is called limited service and full service, the housekeeping staff only completes its full service on Monday and Thursdays. We know that this does not accommodate all guests and are always willing to take requests. I would like to personally apologize for the service issues you received; we pride ourselves in ensuring the guest will received the best service from all of our staff 100% of the time. Thank you again and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed from July 3rd until July 9th 2011. The inn is really clean and the full kitchen is very useful if you wish to cook your own meal. If not, the breakfest or dinner buffet will satisfy you or by 5-10 min of walk there is plenty of bars and restaurants available on CoconutWalk. South Beach is about 10 to 15 min away by car so the beach is never too far. Every single person of the staff was really helpful and the wi-fi in every room just add another pleasant touch to your stay. The tv connection dropped once or twice but..... We didn't really care.... Watching tv wasn't the main goal of our vacations! :-)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mokaccino20
Dear Mokaccino20,
I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to post a review for our hotel. The hotel uses these reviews to understand what guests truly enjoy about their stay, and what we can do to improve their stay. We invite you to please join us again at our hotel, and hope that we are able to exceed your expectations.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Stayed at the Residence Inn during December and found the hotel to be very comfortable for a long term stay. The rooms have a small kitchen with all the necessary appliances for cooking. Breakfast was included and was good. The staff at the breakfast area were very friendly and attentive. Staff at the front desk were a hit or miss, sometimes very friendly and polite at other time rude and uninterested. Parking was not cheap at $15 a night.

The best thing about the hotel is the location in Coconut Grove, one of Miami's best areas. The hotel is a block from the shops at Cocowalk and also about a 5 minute walk from Biscayne Bay and several marinas. There are also several great restaurants in the neighborhood. Overall would definitely stay in this hotel again mainly because of its great location.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Melissa R, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, 21 January 2012
Dear Pinguero,
Thank you for having stayed with us during your trip to Coconut Grove. I very happy that you were able to enjoy your stay with us, and I do apologize that our Front Desk staff was not able to exceed your expectations as our Breakfast staff was. I will address this issue with them directly so that other guest will not have experience this issue. Our hotel location is something that helps our guest enjoy the easy the easy of nearby shops, and over 50 restaurants. Since you mentioned that you would definitely going to return to the hotel I implore you to reach out to me in the future so that I may make your reservation. Thank you again for choosing to stay at our hotel, and also thank you for taking the time to write a post for our hotel. Guest feedback is key to the growth of our hotel.