“Friendly, but NOT worth the cost”

Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove
Ranked #61 of 121 Hotels in Miami
Estero, Florida
“Friendly, but NOT worth the cost”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night since I was at a conference in Miami. The first disappointment I received was that I was REQUIRED to valet park for $20/night. This wouldn't have irritated me as much if I didn't already pay quite a bit for a room. I justified it by telling myself the room would make up for it. Well, it didn't. The overall feel of the room, hallway, elevator even is...dingy. It was a little like trying to dress up Aunt Ethel in a teenager's prom dress. It's going to take a bit more than some nice pictures or big TV to cover the fact that it's out of date. So I told myself, you don't have to look at it, just sleep in it, and I flopped down on the bed awaiting the AHHHH after a long day that you look forward to in a room you splurged a little on...didn't get it. Not necessarily uncomfortable, just nothing special. I've slept on WAY better hotel beds for less. Used the bathroom that reminded me of being on a cruise ship...tiny. Although they did a bang up job putting in a fancy-looking sink. Slow internet, though it is "complementary." I used it to write this review and make myself feel better about the valet parking charge. So any redeeming factors you may ask? Very friendly staff and extremely wonderful pillows. Oh and the balcony was nice to go out on for a minute or two. Not a bad place, just overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us; we do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize if your room did not meet your expectations. Since you've stayed with us we've upgraded our internet to ethernet (20x's faster) replaced some mattresses in the hotel with pillow top mattresses. The hotel offers valet parking for 20 dollars a day with free in and out privileges and you can self park for 1 dollar a day along the street and it's free from midnight to 10 am.
Again thank you for your feedback
We hope to see you back soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

I have just returned from 4 nights at this hotel. I went alone for a bit of a rest and some sun and warmth (I am from the north!). Staff were friendly and professional. Location was excellent. My balcony overlooked the pool and across to the marina and Biscayne Bay. Despite no formal restaurant, there was a breakfast with excellent choice and Starbucks coffee; and good light fare in the evening (excellent with a glass of wine). The area is safe and good for walking with the Cocowalk mall (with its easy restaurants, outside seating, shops and cinemas) only 12 minutes away. A wonderful location for singles, business folks, families. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I paid a bit more for a balcony; very worth it.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on a great stay.

Norwalk, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel last weekend for a wedding. The hotel staff was very attentive and upgraded us to a room with a view of the bay. We had a lovely balcony where we could sit and watch the pool activities. The room was large and comfortable. All in all, this was a great place to stay, within walking distance to many restaurants and stores.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Thank you for your review!

I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We do take all our comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. Next time you stay with us please stop by and say hello.

Looking for forward to your next stay
Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

This Marriott is in par with other Courtyards. Miss the buffet breakfast when the breakfast bar line is a 20 minute wait and this hotel does not offer room service. Room was clean and comforable, okay view with partial view of Biscayne Bay. Close to shopping with a 10 minute walk and just a stone's throw to the marina. Stop by the Fresh Market for some great natural snacks. Only downside was noisy air conditioner fan that seemed to rattle.

Room Tip: Mention that you are staying for vacation and prefer a room that overlooks the bay.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we have since taken care of the AC noise in your room

Topeka, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed here with a friend the night before leaving on a cruise. It was in a nice location: walking distance to Coco Walk, which has a lot of great shops and restaurants, and an easy ride both from the airport and to the Port of Miami. The hotel itself was quite nice, it offered a lovely pool and cafe. The room was well kept, clean and comfortable. I was able to book it via Priceline for $80. Parking was valet, with a $20 fee, breakfast was a bit pricey and not included.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback, we're happy to see you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back soon
Bainbridge Island, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

Stayed here recently for business, marvelous location near the Cocowalk. Lobby is very nice, breakfast/lounge area is nice, and the outdoor seating is especially nice in the evening. A bit of breakfast is included for some (I don't think it's because of Gold status, since everyone in our group received it, probably because we were paying a fairly high business/govt rate of $152/night). Consisted of 1 drink and 1 hot item or 2 cold items. Hot items included a full breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage/bacon, toast, potatoes. Nice happy hour prices, but don't order a regular cocktail not on the happy hour menu--a Manhattan cost $12 and was poorly made.

Rooms were a bit of a let-down (great view though if you face the ocean). Mis-matched furniture and accessories--my room had three table lamps, all different, dated, and different types of switches. The A/C unit rattled very annoyingly, its cover was held to the ceiling with several loose screws, I could tighten them and reduce it some, but in the end had to turn it off to get some sleep. Carpet was getting worn, overall the room just was a little shabby.

Parking seemed really high to me for a non-downtown property, $20/day

Room Tip: ocean views from upper floors are great, but some noise when sitting on the balcony, from AC units o...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize if your room did not meet your expectations; we have since replaced some of our mattresses with pillow top mattresses. There is self-parking on the street for 1 dollar an hour and free from midnight to 10am. Valet is 20 dollars per day with free in and out privileges. As a management team we value our guests experience and feedback ad share them with our staff, so we may resolve any issue and improve upon our service standards
Nassau, New Providence Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed at Courtyard Miami for a sailing regatta this past week. The rooms were nicely appointed and the balconies were very spacious. However, the rooms were not sound proof, and someone was having a party on the floor above which was really loud. You could also hear people talking in other rooms when you stood in the bathroom!
The entrance of the hotel is up several steps and the hotel does not have automatic doors, which made coming and going with lots of bags a problem if the valet was not available to get the door. There was a wheelchair ramp off to the side. The parking was very expensive; soemthing like $26 for 24 hours. Street parking was available but required feeding meters.
There is a fresh market accross the street and a refrigerator in the room which was helpful with feeding hungry youth sailors.
The water was very hot, but easily adjusted, and the water pressure was fantastic.
We had two rooms, and both of the rooms had lock problems. The locks are battery operated and had multiple failures while we were there, requiring long waits for the mechanic to fix the lock and provide new keys.
My biggest complaint however was the quality of the mattresses. I have stayed at many courtyards, and I have never had such a terrible mattress. They had absolutely no support, and I had to continuously fight the feeling of rolling into the middle of the bed. My daughter and I shared a bed, and we both weigh about 120 lbs., so I do not think our weight was the problem!
The microwave in the shop was not working, so you could not warm up microwavable food purchased in the shop after hours. We ate breakfast at the cafe one morning, and the food was good and the prices were reasonable.
We would stay at this hotel again as it was very convenient for the regatta, but I do hope they upgrade the mattresses before then! I know this hotel was recently changed from a Doubletree to a courtyard, so maybe they have not finished upgrading.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor corner room overlooking the bay
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Thomas L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Thank you for your comments, we have since upgraded our mattresses as well as completed a full renovation

we hope to see you back soon