“Don't be put-off by the gas station out front. That's just there to scare away the snobs.”
Review of El Carajo

El Carajo
Ranked #75 of 4,861 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2018

First, the wine. All of the bottle selections are out on the floor or in the coolers. You find what you'd like and bring it to the table. All the wines are priced for carry-out so add $10 corkage to whatever you see on the label. There is a more limited BTG selection as well which is served as normal.

Excellent selection of wines at really reasonable pricing. All major regions are well represented throughout all different price points. I had an excellent Austrian Gruner Veltliner for about $30 and a grower Champagne for $45 (after the corkage).

(PRO TIP: If you know you are going to have more than one bottle with dinner, pick them all out first and bring them to the table. The place gets crowded and you don't want to have to keep getting up to go hunting for wine. Also, if you pick out more than you need, you can just put it back later. No harm, no foul.)

Food: A huge selection of tapas (cold and hot). I would describe the the food as Spanish/Cuban/Argentinian. The bacon wrapped dates were ridiculous. (We ordered more.) Spanish omelette with chorizo. The "meat" appetizer board wasn't your typical charcuterie, it was big hunks of chorizo, chicken, pork loin, churrasco, and blood sausage.

There were 6 of us and we ate until we were stuffed, had three bottles of wine, and the total was about $40pp. Totally worth it. I wanted to go back the next night.

1  Thank LoveCityResident

Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

Food ok for Tapas , service is good ,better call for reservation ,wines are excellent , average food price

Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

One of my favourites been here several times Food and service very good wine selection 2nd to none.
Ribs, Dates in Bacon, mushrooms garlic shrimp all to die for.
Wine very reasonably priced.
IL be Back !!!

1  Thank 9ne360dp
Reviewed June 15, 2018

Although I have been to this establishment many times, the food is always well-prepared but the service is lacking seriously. The restaurant offers a menu that is as close as you can get to Spanish cuisine. Orders comes out in a timely fashion but somewhat skimpy in quantity. It appears that the management of the restaurant are cutting back on portion-size and charging the same. There is a large selection of wines to choose from but again, they too are over priced. The preparation is excellent but one simply does not get enough to satisfy the hungry for a Spanish meal.
Along the lines of management and service, I have notice a serious lack of coordination in the taking of reservations and the seating of guest. The host is either temperamental or flustered by the inability to perform her job effectively. Our invited guest were subjected to rude behavior and inconsistencies in seating people. First they take reservations, them they don’t. Which is it? I think that if the restaurant wants our business, training of the employees is crucial. Of that training, a block should include customer relations. We love the food but will not tolerate a rude host and testy waitresses. With any luck one will be greeted by someone who is polite and courteous.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank Raul C
Reviewed June 6, 2018 via mobile

We popped in thinking we would just quickly grab a cup of coffee and then be on our way... I thought I died and went to pastry heaven! Ordered a few different options and coffee all to go. The Coco Chanel was my favorite! Great size, amazing flavor and beautiful presentation. The latte I ordered was sugared just enough and the foam to coffee ratio was perfect. Will make a point of stopping in when we are in Miami again.

Date of visit: June 2018

Been to El Carajo? Share your experiences!