“A Trip to Portugal without leaving Miami”

Old Lisbon Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 4,852 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Coral Way
Reviewed August 24, 2018 via mobile

My friend and I were down in Miami for the Marlins – Yankees game. To avoid the traffic we came down several hours early. My friend who is from Portugal suggested we go for a late lunch/early dinner at one of his favorite restaurants: Old Lisbon Restaurant. Boy am I glad we did! The restaurant is located on a corner so there are plenty of windows and natural lighting. The Decour was very nice with white linens and tablecloths. However, it was the food that impressed me the most. My friend got an octopus dish with boiled potatoes and some vegetables. He was in his glory because it brought him back to his days living in Portugal. I was in a bit of a seafood mood as well. However, I was totally unprepared for the bowl of food that was to come to my table. My dish came with lobster, salmon, Seabass, Florida shrimp, scallops, calamari, mussels and clams. All served with some boiled potatoes and a fantastic white wine sauce. I am a big eater and I couldn’t even eat half of it. All of the seafood was cooked perfectly which I am always impressed with because of the different cooking times of each item. We shared a couple bottles of the house red wine and some Pellegrino. I would have loved to have tried one of their desserts I saw in the case behind me, but I had to throw in the towel and admit defeat as I couldn’t even finish dinner. I thought the prices were very reasonable considering the amount and quality of food we received. I cannot wait until my next trip to Miami so I can go back and try a few of their other classics. Old Lisbon restaurant has three locations throughout the greater Miami area. I hope someone can convince the owner to expand into Broward or Palm Beach county so I can visit more often.

1  Thank Waltfab

Reviewed August 10, 2018

The decor reminds you of Portugese, its a neighborhood restaurant, parking, a good staff and lots of fish on the menu. We enjoyed our dinner.

Reviewed August 4, 2018

Visited this neighborhood restaurant recently. As the name suggests, It is a Portuguese food restaurant so menu is heavy on fish and seafood. We went at 8 pm on a weekday and it was empty. Filled up around 9:30 as you would expect. Other clientele were Portuguese and Brazilian from what we could tell from their accents. A good selection of Portuguese red and white wines moderately priced. Service was very attentive and the waiter was very helpful to our choices. Everything we ordered arrived promptly but not rushed. We had the octopus and the cod fish cakes to start. Octopus was very good and the highlight of the meal. Fish cakes didn't seem to be freshly cooked (they weren't warm) but tasted okay and came with some peas. We both had cod (I think the name was largueiro style or something similar) for main course. It was good, not overly seasoned and the portion was very ample (we couldn't finish it) and came accompanied by red pepper and potatoes. There a few tables outside and about a 15 or so inside where we were. Parking is on the street or by valet ($8).

Reviewed July 20, 2018 via mobile

It’s simple the best Cod in town! Specially Friday try this triple cod !!! Or any other dish! A great variety to whom is a fish lover and all for a fair price! Tks

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is a local classic for Portuguese food that has been around for many years.    We started with the Bolinhos de Bacalhau or codfish croquettes for appetizers.  They were refreshingly chock full of codfish, unlike many places which over use mashed potato as filler leaving hardly any codfish.

The restaurant offers a variety of mostly seafood dishes but Bacalhau or codfish is the centerpiece and you’ll definitely want to try it.  We had two dishes for our main course and both were more than healthy portions.  The Bacalhau con Natas or codfish au gratin was delicious with lots of shredded codfish and not too much potato in a creamy sauce with baked cheese on top.  Our second dish was the Feijoada de Marisco which was equally as good. Served in a huge bowl, overflowing with seafood in a white bean stew, this dish could easily serve two it was that large. Although they have a number of items on the dessert menu, we were too full this visit to try any of them.

Note: if you are driving, look for the free off street parking behind the restaurant.

Date of visit: July 2018