“Usually don't comment”

Ranked #66 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Louisville, Kentucky
“Usually don't comment”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We typically don't comment on hotel stays but after staying at King and Grove Tides we felt the need to let others know of our experience. Our stay was about as close to perfect as possible and we have stayed in many hotels of different levels around the world. The service was outstanding, the staff genuinely friendly and attentive, and the rooms clean, with an excellent view. It is in a great location on Ocean Drive. At first we were concerned with the loud party music coming from the bar next door beginning in the early evening but the volume is turned down by 10:30 or 11:00pm so that we didn't have to worry about sleep once we eventually returned to the room. Overall, we cannot recommend it more highly and will return the next time we are in South Beach.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark L
Mathew P, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Thank you for your recent review of Tides, very happy to hear about your experience that the service was gracious, attentive, fun and friendly.

Looking forward to your next visit with us.

general manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This is the best hotel on the beach. You can go further north on the beach if you want a bigger hotel. But, the Tides is perfectly located and extremely well run. The service was 5-star, and the rooms are just as good. Other than the Betsy, this is the only high-end, quiet hotel on the beach. I will stay here time and again - everything thing about the boutique hotel is quality. If you want to party - so somewhere else. This is a refined stay and quiet elegance.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jonathan1776
Mathew P, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
so good to here about your wonderful experience at The Tides.

Hope to see you back with us soon,
sincerely,
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at what was then The Tides as the first part of our honeymoon.

The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful and always had a smile on there faces.

The location is probably the best you could be in right in the heart of Ocean Drive with everything you need literally a short walk away not forgetting the beach opposite the road.

The rooms are generously big , extremely clean with amazing views of south beach.

We dint eat at the hotel so not sure what the food is like.

If I ever go back to Miami which no doubt I will I will stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank kunal p
glad to hear about your experience and that we can be a part of your honeymoon.

hope to see you back here soon.

congratulations to you on your wedding.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Spent a full 10 days at The Tides recently. The hotel itself is lovely and really does feel like an oasis on the otherwise slightly in-your-face South Beach strip.

The terrace at the front of the hotel is large, and very stylish and as others have mentioned really is a great place to sit down with a drink and watch the characters of the area go by - with only the occasional drag performance from next door breaking the tranquility (which I actually thought was hillarious!). I heartily recommend the delicious Strawberry and Basil Caipirinha! The hotel is undeniably impressive to look at and would consistently draw looks from passers-by and many camera snaps from the tour buses that drove along.

The terrace and restaurant were pretty quiet most of the time. Ocean Drive is crammed with numerous cafes and eateries lined up along the sidewalk all of them literally stuffing menu's down your throat as you walk by, to try to "tempt" you in. This was rather annoying frankly and we often crossed the road to avoid these places. The Tides was one of the only places not to do this but as a consequence of this, plus the slightly higher-end menu, prices and look of the place it did not get a huge share of the passing crowds.

That said, in absolute contrast to one of the below reviews (and after 10 straight days at the hotel) I can categorically state that Brandon... and in fact all the staff we encountered...were extremely polite, friendly and very attentive to guests. We we never ignored for long and frequently Brandon, Robert or one of the other staff would check we were OK with our drinks, ask if we wanted anything and always with a smile.

The pool area is small but very nice - though personally I believe it was better to go to the beach in the morning through to lunchtime/early afternoon and then transfer to the pool where there was plently of afternoon sun. Due to location of the pool at the rear of the hotel, it got sun mainly in the afternoon and made a great place to chill out if you got fed up with the sand or fancied a swim.

The hotel provided guests with loungers, umbrellas and towels on the beach directly in front of the hotel which was a brilliant service we made use of a few times. The area normally available to guests was calmer and oriented to families and couples, however there is was a designated gay-friendly beach area adjacent to this, which guests were able to transfer over to if they wanted (on request).

The room we had was a basic sea-view studio, however it was still pretty large, decently furnished with a nice bathroom and large walk-in-wardrobe. The bed was very comfortable. Our room was cleaned and made up consistenly throughout our stay every day with only one exception and this was quickly rectified when we asked a member of staff. A turn-down service was also offered/carried out most evenings if we were out and I thought it was a nice touch to come back at night to find the room re-tidied and bed linen invitingly drawn back :)

So what were the issues? Well, firstly a few nights in to the stay their was some kind flood situation in the room above ours which caused water to leak in to and around the light fitting in our bathroom. As a result myself and my partner were forced to packed up our belongings and move rooms late at night (we were jet-lagged and had been in bed when we got up to investigate the dripping noise). I believe the guests above us had caused this somehow so I understand this was really outside the hotels control and we were quickly and efficiently moved to a different room with minimal delay. In addition we were kindly offered a complimentary dinner at the hotel which we gratefully accepted (as eating and drinking in SoBe is generally quite expensive!) and Julio ensured we were looked after with a great meal.

The second issue struck following some prolonged bad weather during the last day or so of our stay, whereby we realised the window to our [otherwise very nice] room was leaking rather badly and we need to pile up a few towels to catch the water. We didn't make a drama about it, as it was our last day, however we mentioned it to a member of staff in passing (to ask for some extra towels!) and we were contacted shortly after that with an offer to change our room again if we wanted - which we declined as we were leaving the next day. We were then advised that our final night in the hotel would therefore be refunded by way of an apology for this and the room move at the beginning of the week. Now, issues and problems are bound to occur occasionally and so I believe the measurement you should care most about is how staff and managment actually handle these problems if they do happen. In this case I was very happy with the way the hotel handled these issues - politely, quickly and I appreciated the goodwill gestures offered to compensate for any incovenience.

The Tides isn't the cheapest hotel around but it is one of the nicest (even the locals we spoke to thought so) and was in a great location on South Beach. In fact you couldn't really BE better situated. We enjoyed our stay and would like to re-iterate that we found all of the hotel staff and managment we spoke to to be genuinely friendly, helpful and polite and visibly committed to making your stay a good one.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Frenchy1978
Mathew P, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you for your authentic review of your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to hear about the consistent, gracious and attentive service you received while a guest of ours for 10 days.

Even though, there were a couple of issues ( housekeeping on one occasion and the late room move), it was wonderful to see that these were dealt with urgency, care and attentiveness. Very sorry these inconveniences did occur.

Looking forward to welcoming you back Home on your next visit to South Beach.

Mathew Pargament
Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

I have been to this hotel several times. This last one I discovered they refurbished the interiors and changed the name of the hotel ( added King & Groves ) .
I had a corner room ( Premium ) very spacious with a refurbished nice bath, practical writing desk and large sitting area. The bed was very good.
Wi FI worked exceptionally well and free of charge.
The best things about THE TIDES hotel is its location, its terrace on Ocean Drive which is an oasis from where to watch people, the nice pool area and the very convenient complimentary beach sunbeds, umbrella and towels. The gay beach is just in front, in case you are interested.
The staff is very efficient and always ready at your service.
My only negative opinion is about the taste of the new furniture. Taking Miami's SOBE particular kitch fashion in consideration, the "african intended" look the rooms and lobby have developed could be tolerable. But my personal opinion is that it does not show a consitency with what I guess this hotel wants to be, given their rates.
in any case you will feel being in a good hotel with a " fantasy" low quality decoration.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank guillermohoter
Mathew P, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Thank your for your comments. Glad to see you enjoyed the location, view, terrace and service. As well, thanks for your authentic delivery on the lobby furniture. We are reviewing a potential refresh of some of the spaces in the upcoming months ahead.

Looking foward to your next visit with us.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Been staying here for years and it has never disappointed me! Beautiful art deco hotel, luxury linens, cool polished comfortable flooring that feels great on bare feet, large closet, and every room has an ocean view. They also include an umbrella and chairs for 2 at the private area on the beach across the street. Most awesome accommodating staff anywhere and they welcome you with a "Tides Royale" cocktail! It's next door to a noisy drag bar that can keep you up after midnight, but this is SouthBeach so whadya expect? You can grab a drink or a meal on their multi-leveled front terrace while you take in the raucous Ocean Drive and the Ferrari's varooooming by. Location, location, location.

Room Tip: No bad rooms in this hotel!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
thank you for your gracious comments, so glad you enjoyed your visit with us again. We feel like your home away from home.

Looking forward to seeing you back with us soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I arrived to the Tides with My mother & Husband Last Week. Upon Arrival we decided to enjoy the Hotels lunch Menu Before checking in Since we had extra time to waste before Check-in. The Restaurant is Beautiful. However The Service is not. We had A waiter Named Brandon I figured that out because I had to ask him for his name three times before he spoke up loud enough that we could hear it. He was very rude cold and unwelcoming and disappeared for long periods of time. My mother likes to say she received better treatment during the Holocaust . We checked into the hotel following lunch service and that was almost a smooth process. I wanted to take my mother and husband to a few nice restaurants while in Miami and the Hotels personal assistant suggested restaurants that were terrible.(obvious that he never had a meal there)The rooms were big and very elegant, and everything was clean.
What really turned the trip around for me and my family was meeting the personal assistant guys on the night shift. Brent & Miguel They were dressed extremely nice in there shirts and ties & Are extremely courteous. Brent waited on us hand and foot while we were there.He is the nicest guy.My mother commented the whole trip on how attractive he was.(She's 65 years old LOL) He suggested restaurants for me and my family that were outstanding! We will always remember service like that! They gave us directions told us about interesting places to go and things to do. They completely changed my view of the hotel staff I will stay at the tides again but I'm checking in at night. They really made an impression on us. This is a place that you will enjoy & you now have a new frequent visitor. Thanks for everything. It was Wonderful.

Room Tip: Anything Above the 6th Floor is a Better View I noticed
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rose D
Thank you for your authentic comments.

My sincerest apologies for the lack of attentive and gracioius service upon arrival by Brandon and by the personal assistant. I am so sorry your stay started as such, but delighted to hear about the rest of your stay and experience with Brent and Miguel, our overnight team.

Looking forward to your return visit to us.