New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Good Value, Average Experience at best.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Ocean

Hotel Ocean
Ranked #143 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Good Value, Average Experience at best.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

This was my first time to SoBe so I was very uninformed on where things were located. I wanted to stay on Ocean Dr to possibly get a view of the ocean. This hotel offered a great rate compared to other hotels in the area and a "partial ocean view." That was a lie. The hotel sits back off the street so there is no way you can see the ocean. The room service was horrible. They didn't provide new sheets and was late giving us linens. There was no microwave and ice was located in the alley behind the hotel. Again, I got a nice rate because I was trying to save but my advice is to pay a little more for something nicer, or stay further north on Collins Ave. It not worth your hard earned money.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank MrOceanDr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

In September 2011 we reserved 3 rooms for the Hotel Ocean for a one-night stay on New Year's Eve (12/31/11). We booked through Expedia.com and paid 40% less the hotel's published rate. (I called the hotel directly and gave them an opportunity to match the price but they would not.)

Since I had read in advance several reviews on Trip Advisor, I was not at all surprised when we were told upon arrival that we had been upgraded from Hotel Ocean to Breakwater Hotel, a related property about 4 blocks away. We were re-routed to the Breakwater Hotel in an efficient manner. We were not at all disappointed with this change. (See my review on the Breakwater Hotel for more info.)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank justjulie2me
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

I'm not a particularly picky person when it comes to hotels. Location and cleanliness is really all that I care about. But when a stay ends in a call to my credit card fraud center and the BBB of miami, I have a problem!

First of all they must have used a magic camera for the hotel photos. It looks nothing like the website. A grubby mildew smelling reception area greet a new guest. And subpar rooms await you (once you are allowed in them). Hope you don't mind your bags sitting around unattended because, while it will take until 4pm to get in your room, don't count on the staff having any particular jump in their step to put your bags in storage.

Back to the rooms, did you book a deluxe suite? Or maybe a standard two bed room? The website says that have them. Beware....they do not. What awaits you is one bed and a beat up cot. (happened with my room and my friends room).

Now the above would be overlooked (because of good location) if not for what happened a checkout. They told us that we owed an additional $26. No big deal, we will just do them our email receipt. Well for the receptionist that was not proof enough. So we paid it (under duress as they threatened to call the police if we didn't) and then Promptly followed that up with a call to my cc fraud center, AAA, and the BBB.

Oh and one last thing, my friend who was staying there at the same time....they charged her tax twice.

All in all this was the worst experience in a Hotel. Ever!

• Stayed November 2011
4 Thank Fiatravel

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

Loud. don't stay here if you like quite. The loud music doesn't stop till 2am and promptly starts at 10am. Terrible if you want to go to bed early or take a nap. Probably not good if you have kids. If you plan on staying out late every night shouldn't be an issue. Other than that room was clean and modern. The nightly live cuban music is pretty good crack your window and it sounds like your front row. Also, no tv remote so you wall have to change the channel old school.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Longhorn1984
Harrisburg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Not sure why this is classed as a 'Hotel'.

Whilst the front desk lady was very helpful, that did nothing to make up for the lack of normal hotel amenities. Smells in the rooms, loud music at night, no pool or bar or restaurant. This should be classed as a hostel. We will not be coming again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Unition
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

Hotel Ocean was 'Wonderful' to say the least. As with life experiences there's going to be 'Hipcups' no matter what. The staff where very perfessional, in dealing with what ever faults occured. May, the front dest clerk was both, helpful, and courteous at all times. The breakfast, and use of beach chairs, and towels were a plus, allowing us to spend more on souvenirs. This hotel is in a prime location, I defintely would stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't request a 'City View'
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ANGELNKIM
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

My boyfriend and I wanted to just get away for a weekend and relax. We made our reservation for this hotel through an online booking site and when we arrived we were complimentary upgraded to a beautiful suite. Not only was it very spacious, it was also very clean and trendy. We were right in front of the Ocean and the weather was amazing. We were able to relax just like we wanted to the entire time. There was a band downstairs in the evening which we enjoyed entirely. We would definitely stay here again in the future.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple