“hotel ocean”

Ranked #159 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“hotel ocean”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My daughter stayed here 3 nights in April 2012. The hotel was fine for the price, with the exception of the fact that there is only one regular - not -carded - key lock on the door. No double lock and no chain. I felt this was an unsafe situation for a young woman staying alone. In addition there was significant noise from the restaurant next door cleaning up late at night - followed by significant noise from construction starting at 6am in the morning - including Saturday.

I realize there wasn't much they could do given the hotel was apparently booked solid, but, the dismissive , tough-luck attitude on the part of the hotel management (Carlos) was disturbing. . Even if he couldn't make any accommodations, just a little sense that he gave a darn would have gone a long way - and to add insult to injury, on check out my daughter was met with a sarcastic comment about how she had survived .

To be fair the other personnel were very pleasant.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MF2984

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
London
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel is only partly refurbished, leaving the rest quite dingy. I would not recommend staying there as there are nicer places around, with the same price tag. Try Breakwater if you want to stay on Ocean Drive.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I never complain. I have never written a review nor sent back a bad meal. I just make a mental note that I was dissatisfied with it and move on. I typically don’t want to invest the time to write. However, what occurred during our stay in South Beach was beyond a joke and while I am not a lawyer, I actually think was illegal. Before you invest one dollar at Hotel Ocean/Breakwater I encourage you to consider my story as well as take extra caution while using HOTELS.com.
I was reserved at Hotel OCEAN on 12/30/11 for 4 nights 3/22/12-3/26/12 (yes, this is roughly 3 months in advance.) I booked the JR SUITE because I the size of the room 450 sq ft and amenities, ie refrigerator. I prepaid in full which was @$900. I confirmed my reservation on numerous occasions between my stay all the way to when I received the final confirmation 1 day before my trip from HOTELS.com. On my way to South Beach I received a call from a friend who said his room had been relocated to the BREAKWATER, a sister property under the guise of an upgrade. The breakwater is a higher star rated hotel. Concerned I called the Hotel OCEAN to check my status. I had been upgraded also. I have been travelling to south beach for 9 years now multiple times per year. During Miami Music Week NO ONE gets upgraded. HOTEL OCEAN staff refused to help me and basically hung up on me after telling me to call the BREAKWATER to figure it out. The front desk @ BREAKWATER, after waiting on hold for over 13 minutes (I checked my phone), told me that I was in an oceanfront room. Much smaller than the room I had paid for, less amenities. How was I upgraded again? They refused to even have a discussion that I should not have been moved because I was prepaid which should have guaranteed my room. I asked to speak to manager, they refused. I didn’t want to stay at BREAKWATER, it’s a party hotel with a club in the middle that rocks till 5am. I ended the conversation with having the women earmark the largest O.F. room for me away from the club side. My next call was HOTELS.com with a similar conversation. How can they move me, I prepaid 3 months ago? I sat on and off hold with HOTELS.com for 50 minutes being bounced from different departments. Every time someone came back to the phone they said you’ve been upgrade and I said, smaller room, less amenities, louder hotel. What upgrade? How can they do this, it’s a pure bait and switch, they took my money (a contract) and gave me something less expensive than what I paid for. Isn’t this illegal? Her response was, why would they do that? Huh I said. Really? Let me explain. They kick me out of a suite which I had a decent rate on because I prepaid 3 months ago, then give me a less expensive room (they make money there). Then, they resell my suite to some schmuck who will pay 2-3 times the amount that I did because they didn’t appropriately plan ahead during Miami Music Week (they make money there). Back on hold now. 10 more minutes, transferred to lodging support. RESULT. Lodging support has conversation with manager of Breakwater and relays the concerns. Manager replies that they have one room left, take it or leave it (this means, you have correctly busted us, we can’t admit to fraud but we can threaten to take his room away while all of South Beach is sold out.) I told HOTELS.com lodging support. I have already called Breakwater and confirmed that I have a room, what does one room left mean? She transferred back over to him. 30 seconds, back to me. “take it or leave it, he says, he has to go.” The negotiations are over, they are ripping me off. I told her to take it, hang up, come back to me. This women was really sweet and I am about to light her up, I feel bad but I am livid, no choice. This is where I would suggest that you take caution with hotels.com. When I made the reservation the only way to GUARUNTEE my reservation and room was to prepay. Why didn’t the guarantee work, don’t you have some sort of contract with this hotel group. Aren’t they breaking this contract with you? You are a billion dollar company, isn’t that kind of a big deal? We have a contract she says but we can’t force them to do something. If you can’t enforce the deal that you sold to me and took my $900, how can you say it’s guaranteed? She is getting flustered now. I let her off the hook but it’s time for a reality check. I tell her let me tell you what has happened here. At best you have facilitated an illegal bait and switch where I paid for a premium service (jr suite) and they gave me less than that. Imagine if you bought S500 Mercedes and then they brought you an S300 so they could resell your car and profit from the difference. You also have false advertised that my room was guaranteed by prepaying which it was not. How am I supposed to be ok with this? She buckles, gives me $25 refund and $100 voucher for future stay. I am guessing this is what they made to broker the deal. I give in, thank her for her efforts and I am off to the breakwater. We arrive, the hotel is nice, it’s a party. We are ready. Get to check in, my wife notices the women say “oh and make a face when she says our name.” Hopefully this means they know we are not happy and are going to bend over backwards to make this right. Not the case. We get to our room and it’s on the second floor, left corner of the hotel, directly over the club. Also, the room is super small. Like 230 sq ft MAX. The room is nice though, recently renovated. I go downstairs tell her that front desk agreed to keep me away from the club. All rooms have been booked into sir, sorry. We decide to get over it, we are on vacation and about to have a great day. Until we get back that night and try to sleep. OUR room is vibrating so hard from the bass outside we can’t sleep until it stops at 5am. It’s so loud, it’s a joke. Literally a joke. We proceed to get about 2 hours of sleep per night every night of the trip with the exception of Sunday where the music stopped around midnight.
So here is the summary. The breakwater is a nice hotel, the room we were in was clean, staff was very nice although totally uniformed. The club next door is fun when you are ready to party and a nightmare if you are not. A couple of times interacting at both check in and check out I had conversations with staff asking about the HOTEL OCEAN and they told me, you don’t want to stay there, it’s more of a family hotel. Much more quiet. I laughed inside. That’s exactly what I wanted. I never saw the HOTEL OCEAN.
I will be filing a formal complaint with the BBB against this hotel group. They clear as day took my money and delivered me something less expensive. When I called them on it, they essentially threatened to cancel my reservation. It’s a pure money grab. You have no rights according to HOTELS.com. Additionally, and this is the first piece of speculation in this story is now. I am convinced that they intentionally put me in the worst room in the hotel because I gave them a hard time. Everything else I have presented here is fact. I strongly encourage you to take your money elsewhere. Shady stuff happens in South Beach but normally not this like this. I have stayed in 14 different hotels from the Gansevoort (fantastic), Delano (great), Richmond (ok) and Marseilles (horrible), etc. I have seen it a lot. The only way they get away with stuff like this is when it fly’s under the radar. Hopefully you choose not to stay with this hotel chain as a result of my story and cost them some of the money the stole from me.

Room Tip: Stay far from the club if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Sean K
Alexandria VA
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We enjoyed our 3 night stay at Hotel Ocean in mid-March. The staff was accommodating (particularly Harold) and we were upgraded to a the 4th floor (the hotel has 5 floors) w/ a balcony and view of the ocean. We were there Sun.-Wed. and the first night was loud until late, but early week was quieter. The room was spacious and clean, but a bit worn. Miami hotels require an extra fee of $12 per night. To compensate, the hotel provides a light breakfast (coffee/tea, juice, pastries, yogurt and cereal) and towels and chairs to bring to the beach. It was our first time in Miami and very accessible to the beach, restaurants and shopping. We found Lincoln Road Mall (several block from the hotel) a little more sedate for dining and shopping. We took a cab to Vizcaya Estate and Gardens and the combination bus/boat tour of Miami and recommend both.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor unless you enjoy loud music.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 March 2012

It's a lovely, small hotel right in the heart of the Deco District and across from the dunes and beach. But, the nightlife and music along Ocean Drive, including directly in front of the hotel, goes until 11 p.m. So, if you want quiet evenings, ask for a back room.

Room Tip: Back rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank birchie41
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This was my first time in Miami, and I had originally booked with Ocean's sister hotel Hotel Breakwater, but got upgraded to Hotel Ocean due to Breakwater being full. Best upgrade ever! Got a beautiful room, with a gorgeous view of the ocean, I believe it was a Deluxe Oceanview. You can't beat it's location. Went for my birthday, 4th of July, and the hotel had a complimentary party on the rooftop, and you could watch the fireworks there as well. Friendly staff that knew us by name and always greeted us with a smile and asked if we needed anything. Always clean. Was also surprisingly peaceful for being right on Ocean Drive. The only drawback was that when I went, Hotel Ocean had only been open for maybe a week or so, so the restaurant/eating situation in the hotel was not really up and running all of the way, but really not a problem for me. Also I believe there is only 1 elevator, but not a huge drawback either. Valet was a noticeable price addition, but really the only way to go on Ocean Drive, being cheaper than taking cabs, especially if you want to venture to the mall or downtown Miami. Would definitely stay here again, in fact planning my next trip with them now!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cocoachanel87
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night in March. The price was average and I booked a basic room. However, I continuously requested an early check in, to which I was accomodated for. The kind man at the front desk, I think his name was Harold (not sure), allowed me to do so. Upon check in I was given a key to the basic room I booked. When I went to my room and opened the door I realized I had been upgraded to an ocean view suite, I was VERY pleased. The room was spacious, full of sunlight and extremely clean. It felt as if I had a mini condo on south beach. Not to mention the elevator only shared with one other room. It was great! I could fully see the ocean and the city on the other side from the balcony.

The ONLY complaint I had was that around dinner time I was trying to take a nap but there was a band playing in the courtyard below. With the thin windows I could hear absolutely everything..it felt as if I was outside.

Because of the location and great staff of this hotel I would recommend it and I would also stay here again...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends