This hotel is in a great location in South Beach, right on the beach and within walking distance of many things to do. It has a terrific restaurant, The Dutch, owned by Andrew Carmelini, who owns Locand Verde in New York, where the food is very good and the service is excellent. It's the hotel services which have let me down. It's almost as if, after a week here, I'm wondering what will happen next. Before we arrived we had called and been told that we could check in at 2 PM, and left an excellent hotel in Palm Beach, an hour away, where we could have waited to check out until 4 PM. The room at the W was not ready, so we had to sit and wait until it was--at close to 4 PM. Bad start. That same first day the sink backed up in the bathroom, and we had to get a hotel engineer in to fix it. After we called about that we realized that the bulb in the magnifier lamp (which my wife used for makeup) didn't work. We called and the engineer brought it with him. That event was sort of a precursor. Little things have happened every day. The minibar (actually a refrigerator in our room, which was a small suite) is not replenished regularly. This has meant that when we wake up to make coffee every other day or so and there's no cream for the coffee. On those days we have had to call room service to deliver coffee. One day when we called to have coffee delivered one cup was delivered instead of two (which meant that I didn't have coffee with my wife that day because it took half an hour to get another cup sent up). To be clear, two cups were delivered, but only enough coffee for one of the cups. Soft drinks were also not replenished regularly. A beeping sound waked us up one night--it just wouldn't stop--and the hotel told me I had voice messages that I hadn't picked up. We found out that wasn't true. Someone had unplugged a phone (which was in a second bedroom we had never used) from the wall plug and forgotten to plug it in again, perhaps during cleaning before we moved in. The phone's battery had eventually run down and the beeping was signaling that. We have called for various other services (such as turn down service at night) which never materialized at all. We also have had other complaints unrelated to the service. The pool is so crowded that when we go down (usually around 11 AM) there is usually no space for us. It has just not been a pleasant experience overall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At The W South Beach, wake up to spectacular sunrises over the Atlantic or wind down to scenic sunsets in 395 rooms and bungalows featuring the best of resort living. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Reservation Counter, Travelocity.ca, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your W South Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w South Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- w Hotels Miami Beach
- w Hotel Miami Beach
- W South Beach Miami Beach, Florida