The Mondrian is beautifully appointed hotel. It was highly recommended to us, happily so as the hotel and it's people are vastly better than as represented on the hotel website.....then again it seems that most people here stay as a result of personal recommendation - it is that kind of cool.
The hotel is grand, as are the case with many in Miami beach. It is a number of blocks (we think six) from the central art deco strip on Ocean/Collins Ave and a cab drive from the strip of top tier hotels stretching between Collin and the beach, so keep this in mind if you want the beach access and cabanas as part of your package.
The room (suites) are huge - notably the hotel is selling hotel rooms as permanent residences. Decoration is high end trend (we will use a lot of their concepts and furnishing ideas for our own renovation). Suites include a fully appointed kitchen with magnificently stocked mini bar and kitchen including kettle (a rarity in US hotels) and a microwave.
The king size beds and pillows are perfect for this fussy sleeper.
The pool, cabanas, bar and cocktails are great with a view of the harbor (afternoon sun only).
Breakfast by the pool is a must (partly to do with the location, but cocktails with great food at 11 was ideal).
It should also be highlighted that the hotel staff were superb which to us was very surprising given our experience with the out of work actors that were too cool to admit that they were at the Mondrian's sister hotel in LA.
The only negative for us (and this is something that cannot be changed) was the location....but that was purely personal and relative to our situation. The hotel is relatively remotely located - it is away from the main strip, which may be perfect for some (and it was for us as we had spent four nights at another hotel in the middle of Ocean Ave art deco district, so had our party fix). This all comes down to personal choice - do you stay at the (1) Delano/Ritz Carlton/National/Perry in the top end hotel stretch on the beach; (2) a top room in the art deco hotels on Ocean Ave; or (3) the Mondrian.....we were happy with a combination of 2 & 3.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on newly-fashionable West Avenue, Mondrian is a quiet enclave just minutes from the bustling center of South Beach, offering spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean, Biscayne Bay and downtown Miami. The visionary style of designer Marcel Wanders is apparent from the moment you pull into the porte-cochere: guests walk through a grand entryway appointed with custom-designed furniture, lighting and accent pieces, evoking Wanders' design homage of "Sleeping Beauty's Castle." Upon entering the soaring lobby, the floor-to-ceiling windows offer stunning views of Biscayne Bay. Immediately the eye is drawn to the masterpiece of the room–an iconic, signature "floating staircase." Black and gold patterned furnishings and oversized brass bell shaped lights add a touch of whimsy and welcome guests to sit and socialize or enjoy the view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity.ca, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Mondrian South Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mondrian South Beach Hotel Miami Beach, Florida
- Mondrian Miami Beach
- Mondrian Miami Hotel Beach