“What a treat--best place to stay in South Beach!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #40 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlottesville, Virginia
“What a treat--best place to stay in South Beach!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

Spend the nights in comfort and style at the latest in the Kimpton constellation. This beachside gem is just perfect for great food, great rooms, and the nearby beaches. One simply has to walk through the pool area and the beach awaits. Spend time lazing about the beach, taking in the sites, having staff bring you drinks and food. Why leave? If you must, you can do the same by the gorgeous pool that the hotel offers. The staff are great, the service unmatched, and it is South Beach! Don't waste you time slumming, go to the Surfcomber where you will be pampered with style and panache. By the way, if you get the chance, check out their restaurant too--Lantao. It is well worth it!

Room Tip: There are a couple of rooms that have decks that overlook the pool area - they cost more but have be...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BradleyD_11
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
BradleyD_11 -
Thank you so much for the best place to stay posting.
We are so happy that you enjoyed our service. It’s true, for South Beach we are a bit different.
Sean McKeen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Shenzhen, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

5 star service and style. Pool perfect, design wonderful, kids friendly, location the best.
All reviews are true, this is the best place on SOBE. Thanks and we'll be back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
seanmckeenmiami, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
gasthuis-
Wow, thank you for the amazing posting.
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

My wife and two kids (ages 12 and 15) stayed at the Surfcomber for two nights over spring break and it was fantastic. We loved the pool and the restaurant, the room was small but more than acceptable, and the staff was incredible. Every single request, large or small, was addressed with grace and hospitality. Michie, Ghulam, Vanessa and Lucia were fantastic ambassadors for this property and for everything Kimpton Hotels have come to be known for.

Thank you all (plus those whose names I missed) until I next return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank HotelSkeptic
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
HotelSkeptic-
Thank you for staying with us. My apologies for the delayed response.
We can't wait for your return.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

This was my first time in Miami and from the moment I was greeted at the front desk by Winnie and the other front desk staff, I knew I would have a wonderful trip. The goal of the trip was to have a nice, relaxing guys weekend and every staff member contributed to the wonderful experience. They pool attendants (Ryan and Jonathon) grabbed chairs, laid out towels and would constantly move the umbrellas to provide shade (or not depending on your preference)., while Sonya seemed to always be ready with a menu and your next drink. At their restaurant Lantao, order the fish and chips, chicken wings (mix the hot and sweet sauces on the side) and the crap rolls. You won't be disappointed! And I can't forget about the wine and sangria happy hour poolside!

The beach was a stones throw away from the hotel and Lincoln Ave was only a block or 2 away. We had plenty of options for food and nightlife within a short walk which places the hotel in a prime location. The rooms and hotel overall were beautiful, easily rivaling that of a W.

Plain and simple, I didn't want to come home. Thank you, Surfcomber.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
rgales-
Thank you for the amazing posting.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I travel to South Beach often and have stayed at all the so called "top" places. The Raleigh, Delano, Fountain Blue, and none of them even come close to The Surfcomber. The staff here is amazing!!! From the front desk all the way down to the cleaning crew. They took care of anything and everything. The renovations are top notch, nothing was over looked. Close to all the shopping and restaurants. if you truly want the South Beach experience you have to stay here. Ive already booked my trip back with them.

7 Thank Yigal Y
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Yigal Y -
Thank you for the amazing posting.
I look forward to meeting you upon your return.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Hi. Alessandra Stanley had an excellent piece in the www.travel.nytimes.com. Her cover piece in the travel section was about Fisher Island and a spring break trip with her daughter. It was Paradise Lost- A Mother- Daughter Spring Break. "I loved everything about it but it did not love me back".. which brings me to: PARADISE FOUND: A MOTHER - DAUGHTER SPRING BREAK at the Surfcomber- a Kimpton hotel. We have had an incredibly stressful year and I have an amazing 16 year old daughter. We also looked at Fisher island and thought it to be isolated and as Julia said, "geriatric" and we did not want a huge resort.I frequently stay at the Kimpton Muse in NYC and they recommended their charming new Surfcomber.

I corresponded with them to inquire as to rates, location and that we would have one day of college visits. From the first communication..everything was well... perfect. Araldo Sanchez, the concierge reached out and asked us if we had a favorite family photo and what were we generally interested in.. besides.. of course.. "sleeping.. Alessandra was correct about that for sure!

We took the splurge .rented a convertible and it is quick and easy drive to 1717 Collins Avenue from Fort Lauderdale. ( The Surfcomber is a neighbor of the Delano) We arrived early and and were able to check in to a spotless room and there waiting was a lovely welcome note from Winnie in guest services, chilled water, wine, chocolate and our picture in an adorable frame.

The property has a small pool area and full beach service.. it is "on the beaten path, but not on it"
The room rate is quite reasonable and if you become a Kimpton Member which is free.. you have free internet access, $15.00 help yourself to the mini bar, and other very nice perks. There is a daily wine cocktail hour from 5 to 6 pm at the pool and in the lobby.

The hotel is steps from Lincoln Mall, steps from Ocean Drive and has a wonderful walking and running path. We asked a million questions.. all were answered with patience and humor. Do try Juvea , it is on the 11th floor at the end of Lincoln Mall with spectacular views, the Meat Market and Baio.

We did have an adventure, after visiting Barry University, for a college visit and tour. I thought sightseeing was in order and somehow we ended up in Miami Port Authority with lots of big ships and lots and lots of homeland security and of course we were stopped. Julia was horrified. It was actually hilarious.

The hotel is also two blocks from Walgreens, so easily got a cheap cooler and soda and water for extra beach supplies. But the team at the Surfcomber has everything pool side.

The Surfcomber is the best kept secret. Kudos to Sean McKeen, the General Manager, Araldo Sanchez, Vanessa, Winnie, Jennifer and the entire team. It was perfect, in every way.

Room Tip: We did to use the spa services and get a breakfast card or walk down the street to any of the excell...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Victoria N
Victoria N -
Thank you so much for the great posting.
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for denoting so many of the employees who helped create your special stay.
We look forward to hosting your next visit.
Hayward, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

This was my first time in Florida. I had such a great experience that I'm not sure how to put it in words. Vanessa Serpa checked us in and I must say she has a GREAT sense of humor, very friendly, plus a gorgeous smile. She was very polite and let us know which side of the building had bigger rooms and that there will be an extra $100 hold/deposit just in case we break anything in the room. I honestly feel she provided better customer service than her supervisor. Though her supervisor was nice, but not as friendly and outgoing as Vanessa! If I was the manager, I would give Vanessa a promotion and a raise for making customers feel very welcome because after talking to her, I knew I was going to enjoy my stay. So give her a bonus will ya! =)

The rooms were very clean and the bed is super comfortable. Vanessa was right about the room being bigger than the other side of the building (we had friends staying on the other side and their room was smaller). When we called for any kind of room service, they came right away.

I spent a lot of time in Lantao, their restaurant. Each worker was super friendly and they made me feel like part of the family. Special shout out to the Lantao employee's, Carol (my #1 waitress), Dominic (another cool waiter), Cecilia (bartender), Dohani & Margarise.

The beach was also great! Shout out to Pepe (our server on the beach).

I highly recommend this hotel. I fully enjoyed my stay and wished I could stay much longer. Even though it was my first time in Florida, I would not consider staying any where else. So don't think twice!

Satisfied customer,
Kim Eap

Room Tip: Ask for Vanessa and she will tell you.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Kim E -
Wow, thank you for the amazing posting.
I will spread the praise around, especially for Vanessa.
sm