New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hawaii Hotel

Hawaii Hotel
Ranked #200 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“Dishonest staff; dirty rooms - avoid at all cost”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2008

We had a reservation for five nights but told the hotel we would only stay for 2 nights when we checked in. At the time of checkout they claimed we signed up for 3 nights and insisted on charging for all 3. In addition, rooms were dirty and there was no maid service during our stay. Stay away from this place!!!

Stayed January 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
East Mesa, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2007

I chose this hotel because of the price and the great reviews and when we first arrived we thought we had made a mistake, however we fell in love with this location and can't wait to go back! We arrived at night and were concerned about the homeless people wandering around, the obvious drug dealer with his backpack hanging out in front of the abandoned hotel next door. We watched him making a sell to three nice cars that drove up, paused long enough to exchange hands and then leave.
I wasn't sure what the parking situation was from the reviews so we ended up waking up at 7:30 every morning, running to CVS or Walgreens to get quarters to feed the meter (they would not let us buy a roll of quarters). This was a chore the first 2 days but then became a nice ritual as far as enjoying an early morning smoke on the beach while watching the sun rise. (We didn't notice the bank down the street from CVS until the 3rd night) Next time, we will definitely buy the $6.50 pass from the front desk or simply go to the bank the first day to get a roll of quarters. There was always an open parking space anytime we returned to the hotel, day or night.
The first room we went in the main light in the room was out so they moved us to another room where the TV remote and the main bathroom light didn't work, but we didn't want to move again so we lived with it and notified the front desk when we checked out.
The 1 queen bed room was tiny but when you're in Miami Beach, who wants to hang out in the room? It was perfect for my husband and I, but you wouldn't want to share a 2 bed room with another couple, not enough space to move around in.
My husband was disappointed that there was no dresser, we had to live out of our luggage but this wasn't a problem for me. I think it's best described as a minimalist hotel. If you like the bells and whistles, go elseware. A microwave was the only thing I really wanted and didn't have.
It took a little time to learn how to use the A/C remote, but we finally got it figured out and it cooled the room very quickly. Haveing the remote was AWESOME, when you wake up freezing you can simply raise the temperature or turn it off while still in bed!
The bathroom was clean, however as the other reviews mentioned the water pressure was insanely low and it took 45 minutes to shampoo and condition my long curly hair and when I was done the entire bathroom was wet because of the lack of shower door.
I loved the character of this small hotel. There are only 40 rooms and it's beautifully decorated. It felt like our own little world with the short little off street of Ocean Terrace, quiet and almost private beach literally a few steps away. Right around the corner is the best little restaurant called "Rockys", the owner is extremely nice and friendly. We ate there twice and the food was DELICIOUS! Interestingly enough the Subway restaurant directly behind the hotel, also on Collins was delicious too, I don't know what it was about the food in Miami Beach but everywhere we ate was tasty!
This was the perfect hotel for us, we had a rental car and drove to different parts of Miami (Coconut Grove, SOBE) for the night life and enjoyed coming back to our quiet hotel. We didn't mind the few characters wandering the street, they never bothered us and we didn't bother them. It was a unique place to stay and we will definitely go back!
I took a few photos of the room and hotel, I'll post them as soon as I get unpacked.

• Liked — Cheap price, quiet like a private beach location.
  • Disliked — Shower water pressure way too low.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joeythegirl
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2007

We had a smooth stay in this hotel. Rooms are small but clean and very conveniently equipped with fridge, safe, hairdryer and a quiet air conditioning. The beds were extremely comfortable. As Europeans we are used to small rooms and little breakfast, so we didn't bother much about that. Location is in the Northern part of Miami Beach, so the hip South Beach is a 15' drive further south. The beach is just across the quiet little street, however the rooms do not have sea view. Convenient shops and nice restaurants (all different kinds) are in the immediate area.
The area felt safe to us - there are some homeless people in Miami Beach but we saw them in most large US-cities and they did not bother us. However, I agree that some of the hotel's reception staff do not seem to care that much about guests problems - we did not have any problems but it just felt like that sometimes. Parking is about $ 6.80 per day and there is no other option.
After all, a reliable budget stay in Miami Beach, I would definitely go there again.

• Liked — Location, clean and convenient rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nyc2008
Utha
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2007

I saw how many good reviews this hotel had in this same webpage at the moment of booking, hoping to write my own good feedback too later on, unfortunally it is not as I hoped for, this hotel its completely Fake.

It was by far the worst experience i had in my life, i got stressed the 5 nights i stayed there and i felt treated as an idiot.

I stayed with my husband and 17 years old son in another room, we had to go to the walgreens around the block to buy towels,the front desk said they are always low on towels on the weekends, i couldn't dry myself after showering!

"Continental Breakfast"????-I notice breakfast it is just to catch up people on the net, the "continental" breakfast it is served in the lobby, in a 8 feet table where coffee, orange juice and some sort of sticky cheap pastries lay besides an empty pot, where the cream it is supposed to be. You either eat standing up with all the rest of the guest in the lobby, like if you were in a elevator, or just go somewhere else with enough coffee and cream, at least.

I have to say the good thing about this hotel is that you have the beach right in front,besides, don't even think to walk a block away without seeing homeless people everywhere and more, i did not feel safe at all,the hotel next door and the one in the corner it's abandon, however, you still seeing some activity inside those during the night.

I tried to switch to the days inn in the other corner, but i couldn't due it was pre paid through expedia and i did not want any more trouble, im a very optimist person but this was too much for me. i felt like and idiot every time i said anything to the front desks and they told me their problems were a normal thing, i just cant understand it.

Meryl.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank Meryl39

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Mexico City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2007

The Rodeway Inn Ocean Way hotel on Miami’s North Beach is an excelent hotel. I made reservations for this hotel as it was the highest ranked cheap hotel. It was exactly as I expected. A clean modern hotel, with no luxury. The photo’s on the web available, are asit is. The breakfast is cheap, some mini muffins, coffee and tea and yoghurt at the time. But you have to eat it in your room. There is no eating room. Anyhow, it’s free. The room is small, but modern. The beds are great! Most valueable: the climate control: You need that in the night. But…no noises…it’s completely quiet. So you can really sleep. Around the clock there is somebody at the desk. Very friendly, every one of them. The rooms are cleaned every day. Be sure to tell the desk up front NOT to use to safe ($1.50 a day) or they will have you pay it at the end. Every room has a fridge, and there is a microwave available (next to lobby). The rooms small, but I only entered the room to sleep, so no problem. Worth every dollar this hotel!

Shopping malls like Halbour (5 min.) and Aventura (15 min.) are close. Best buys are available in Sawgrass Mills mall in Fort Lauderdale. You need to have a car to get there. It’s like 45 minutes driving. The Bayside Tour (by boat) is kind of a rip-off. $20 p.p. for 1.5 hour tour. I did it anyway, because I was interested in seeing the city from the water. Bayside Marketplace is nice. Be carefull NOT to accept parking instructions from people. If it says machines, try it, if they tell you it is broken, try it! If really broken go to the police, they are always close. DON’T give money to a guy that says he will take it for you. You will be towed away!

The hotel is not on South Beach. But if you have a car you’ll be there in no-time. The beach is right outside the door however (across the street). The beach is clean. No top-less women (you have to go to South Beach for that) but it is much more relaxed. You can rent a chair/bed for $5 (a day) and a parasol for $10 (a day). Parking is paid (everywhere in Miami!), between 08h00 and 18h00 (with 6 hour max.) in front of the hotel. That will cost you $0.25 per 15 minutes. But around the corner you have a “pay-and-display” parking which will cost you $0.50 per hour. And that one also takes bills (with 8 hour max). There is no worry for breaking-in. However there are a few people close sleeping on the ground. I did not have trouble with them. Just don't accept there offers for parking tickets for half of the price. It could be fake. In front of the hotel there is always space to park your car (October). Sometimes it will be half a block of walking. Just make sure you get up at 8 to feed the parking meter. Police and tow-away trucks can start checking at about 08h10. You can also buy a parking ticket in the hotel. But that one lasts from 12:00 to 24:00 and 24:00 to 12:00 (including the free parking hours that is!). Making it more expensive in the end. The only advantage is that you don’t have to pay the meter.

There are several afordable restaurants (McDonalds of course, Subway, Ihop, etc) near. Also tiny supermarkets and pharmaceuticals. You can find an internet café within a few blocks. Busses stop on Collin’s avenue (one block), they head to South Beach and also north Sunny Isles Beach, Aventura Mall, etc. It’s really cheap ($1.50). But not as fast and flexible as having your “own” rental car. Signature rent-a-car can be a good alternative for the excisting rental companies. Take the (free) shuttle to Holiday Inn Miami International Airport (not Holiday Inn Express!!). The rental service is in the lobby. But make sure to have a reservation made on internet.

• Liked — Climate control in the room, no sounds, can keep up against the heat and humidity
  • Disliked — breakfast, although free, it wasn't much. No place to eat it, except outside or in room
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Chicahuztli
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2007

This is a decent hotel if you are on a budget and want a nice quiet place to relax. It is in north south beach, directly across from the beach, and two blocks from the buses that take you downtown. The hotel staff are very friendly, but we ran into problems when weather conditions forced our flights to be cancelled and my guest arrived 14 hours before I did. The staff would not budge on allowing him to check in, and I had to call Orbitz to resolve the situation.

As far as the room--SMALL--and the walls paper thin. There was no microwave in the room and the wireless internet service was down all weekend. Lots of little broken things--needs some maintenance. The most annoying aspect of this hotel is the towel situation. They never provided us with washcloths, not a one. And when we went to the desk in the evening to request more towels the desk clerk gave us two floor mats.

All complaining aside it is a nice, small boutique hotel. I did hear other travelers complaining (about double charges and noise), but we weren't so inclined. I was approached by someone who asked me the same question three times--obviously getting around to asking for money--but there was no violence/crime in this quiet community. There is a nice grocery and both walgreens and CVS around the corner.

I would choose another hotel next time though.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SKM_International
Merritt Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2007

We went down in May 2007 for pre cruise stay. We had a condo booked but went a day early and found this at a really good price.
It was just like the pictures. Quaint, art deco across from beach.
No views but really comfy. Beds were good, small fridge, big bath room, small room. Would not want to stay more than a day or two with more than 2 people. Nice continental breakfast and benches out front to eat at and see ocean across the street. Very quiet area,very safe to walk around. Walgreens within walking distance 1 block, never felt unsafe out walking. Several restaurants close by.

Would stay again.

• Liked — quiet on beach, did not have to valet park
  • Disliked — too small for more than a day or two
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
Hilton Cabana Miami Beach
Hilton Cabana Miami Beach
#81 of 206 in Miami Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,710 reviews

Been to Hawaii Hotel? Share your experiences!