“My personal worst hotel experience ever ****” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Seagull Hotel Miami South Beach
Ranked #194 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“My personal worst hotel experience ever ****”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

If you have the choice, stay faaar away from this scarry and dirty place.. This hotel is a total wrack and doesn t meet any kind of standart. An absolut [--] hole to be honest. The carpet is loose and the walls are dirty and totaly moldy. The room and beds are quite uncomfortable to lay down, it s really discusting to sleep there.. after a day I checked out and spend a bit more just to enjoy the rest of my holiday.. Was the worst decision ever to safe cash for accomodation.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank Jost V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida, Usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I went there for one night, and my friend was so displeased with the room, that he wouldn't even unpack his luggage. The lobby had a foul odor that kind of smelled like vomit covered with febreeze. The staff acted kind of weird at first, but after being there an hour, I realized what was going on. I can guess that they are so used to being complained to that they go out of their way not to build any kind of relationship with the guests. I learned this later when I went to the front desk to complain. My bathroom door wouldn't shut, there was what appeared to be dried vomit on the floor and I found medication on the floor under the bed. The hallway leading to the room was filthy with all sorts of various food products to paper debris all over it. I have never rented a room by the hour, but can only guess this is what it would be like. I eventually went to the front desk to ask if they could move me, but due to it being a busy weekend, they didn't have any rooms available. I told them that I was left with no choice but to check out and go to another hotel. I rented the room through Orbitz and got them involved. They also talked to the front desk and tried to work something out with getting me moved. After all was said and done, I had to dispute the charge with Orbitz because they would not refund me the money because the hotel would not refund them. I have one word of advice, stay away from this hotel and do not use Orbitz to reserve your room...

Room Tip: Word of advice, stay away from this place!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jeff G

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Toledo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Let me start by saying that I read reviews all the time but never write one. After searching online for months, I finally picked this hotel for our two night stay before the cruise. First, it was in my budget because I was paying for both rooms for two nights, second, I wanted to be directly on the beach, have a pool and close to all the action of South Beach. There were seven of us on this trip. (me, my husband, senior in high school daughter, her two friends, also seniors, teenage son, and his friend who is female. We arrived on 4/11/12 around 1:00 p.m. We were told we could check in at 3:00. We all changed into our bathing suits and headed to beach behind the property. Very nice beach and water. At 3:00 we were able to check in. Benito was at the desk and I found him to be very nice. I mentioned to him that when I made my reservation online with the hotel directly, I had requested two rooms higer up with balconies. He said he knew and gave us the eighth floor two rooms right next to eachother, girls in one room and husband, son and I in the other. We went up to the rooms 802 and 803 and I was very pleased with the ones he gave us. They were at the back of the building with the best view of the pool and ocean you could ask for. Some rooms are along the side of the building and some even closer to the Collins avenue. We had the best. The rooms were large, beds and linens were comforable. After reading all the bad reviews, I'm not sure what people expect out of a two star hotel. Yes, it could use some updating and paint job, but for the price of $88.00 per night per room, you can't beat it. I never smelled any bad odors that other reviews talked about. The two elevators worked fine and there was never any long wait. Husband and I ate the breakfast buffet the next morniing. It was $14.00 pp which wasn't too bad since the prices in South Beach for food are high. The buffet was decent and had a good selection to choose from.
I'll wrap this up by saying that this place is NOT as bad as most of the reveiew say it is. I would not hesitate to stay here again. Sorry if this review was too long, but I wanted to give some positive feedback on this hotel. Happy travels!

Room Tip: Request rooms higer up for a better view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Slbuckeye
Kent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I travelled to Miami with my brother and two friends for Wrestlemania XXVIII, taking place 1st april 2012 and stayed at the Seagull Hotel for three nights. I'll do my review as a pros and cons list.

Pros:
- The location is great, located mere metres from South Beach.
- Great view. I stayed on the 7th floor (of 8) with a balcony and the view of South Beach was stunning.
- Pretty confortable bed.

Cons:
- So we arrive to check in and the first thing we are asked for is the credit card we used to book online with. We told the front desk staff that it was our mothers card so we did not have it and we were then told 'Booking online only reserves the room, you have to pay for it now'. This was not made very clear on the website. Annoying, but we asked if we could call our mother and pay over the phone, which was received with 'no, we don't accept payment over the phone'. We had two rooms booked and not wanting to blow all our money straight away on something we thought was already paid for we asked to cancel one room and the guy said 'you can cancel it but we will charge you for the room anyway'. Luckily the manager showed up and he agreed to cancel the second room for no charge. So we split the one room cost between four, but only two of us could pay on a card and they didn't accept travellers cheques so two of us had to pay cash. When we mentioned it wasn't very clear that the room had not been paid for, the man was very unsympathetic and simply replied 'yeah most people assume it's paid for, but it's not'. Also, after checking the total price the front desk quoted us for the one room against the price we booked it at on the website, we had been charged more than originally stated! This was a very poor first impression of the place.
- The walls seemed paper thin and we could hear everything in the ajoining rooms.
- The outside part of the air-con unit was hanging off the wall and didn't apear to be very safe.
- The door onto the balcony, while it did lock, had a fairly large gap between the door and the door frame and it appeared you could probably pry it open.
- The maids would make one bed properly but not the other!? They left dirty bedsheets in the room after they had left and they NEVER restocked the toiletries which meant we had to constantly find a maid cart to get tissues, loo roll etc.
- The towels were always dirty and 'fresh' towels constanly had clumps of long hair stuck to them. Not just the odd hair, actual clumps!
- The elevators were the slowest I've ever seen. You could call the elevator, go watch a movie then come back and it would have just about made it to your floor. We would have to wait a minimum of 5 minutes until it arrived everytime we called them.

Overall I would say avoid this hotel. There are plenty of other hotels in exactly the same area and from the outside they all look a lot better then the Seagull.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Glenn S
Broadstairs
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I suppose I can't really complain really. Instead of looking at reviews online I went for location and price. I had a hotel booked in downtown for 4 nights but needed a 3 night stay in the interim period so booked up. Or so I thought. Despite not saying anything on the website, my booking wasn't paid for. When I got the the hotel, I was informed by "Benito" (one of the rudest, least understanding people I have ever dealt with) that my credit card just guaranteed the booking, it did not pay for the two rooms I had booked, I therefore had to pay for the two rooms. As we had already paid my mother for the rooms we assumed we had paid for after receiving an email to that extent, we were quite annoyed by this. After asking if my mother could pay over the phone using the card she had used to create the booking and we had paid into, we were told they could not accept over the phone card payments. We then asked to cancel one of the rooms and just share the two beds between the 4 of us, and was told by Benito that we would be charged 1 nights rate for the room we don't take. After kicking up a fuss he asked his manager what they could do and he said just to cancel one room. We then had to pay for one room for 3 nights split 4 ways. this was fine. Two of us paid by card, and when I asked to pay by card we were told they could only do 2 card transactions per room. I then asked to pay by travelers cheques, which again was refused. After being up for the best part of 24 hours I was getting pretty ratty by this point, especially with the smug attitude of Benito. After finally sorting out the situation we made our way up to the room. I say this but it took the best part of 15 minutes to get there with the one lift that was working, that seemed to be from the 1930s. When we actually got to the room it was pretty basic. Over half of the TV channels didn't work and the TV remote was broken. The only good things I can say about the room was the bed was quite comfortable and the view was really nice. As for what was good about the hotel? The location is close to bus stops, Lincoln Road Mall, Convention Center and obviously South Beach. Would I stay here again? No

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are nice as the view is worth it
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank dansheppard
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Stayed here during the winter music festival with several friends. We knew it was a run down hotel and we got what we expected. We weren't planning on spending much time there and wanted to spend our money on the shows and drinks and restaurants instead of the room. Our room was a really good size. Plenty of room for 5 people and all of their luggage. The bathroom was beat up but the beds were clean and comfortable. The bar down stairs was fantastic, got lots of cheap drinks and good conversation. So yeah, I probably wouldn't stay there again but I'd recommend to some of my broke friends that needed a place to stay in SoBe!

Room Tip: Get an Ocean View room on the 3rd floor so you have the big balcony
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sofieah
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

We booked this hotel online back in January 2012 for a one night stay after reading the reviews we tried canceling the room 2 days before our one night stay they said it had to be 72 hours to cancel which we din't belive most likley because they know of their reviews. When It came to the night we stayed it looked ok from the once we got inside it was horrible as soon as we walked into the lobby there was a hooker who looked to be 16 years old or younger she asked for a a key to someones room and the guy behind the front desk gave it to her without question which seems to me that they would give a key to anyone.Then when we got into our room it was even worse the room smellled horrible very a moldy type smell the carpet was stained with god knows what. The patio door did not even close right we had to put a chair against it since the wall between the patios were only 3 feet high and there was a party on the next patio with hookers and men. The bathroom was ok but the tub was stained with mold it looked like they din't clean very well at all. During the night we got no sleep at all since there was people yelling in the rooms and hallways and knocking on doors all night long. It was the worst night we have ever experienced and the worst place we have ever stayed I give you my advice stay clear from this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family