“Very poor customer service in a so-so hotel”
Review of Villa Italia Hotel

Villa Italia Hotel
Ranked #74 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Very poor customer service in a so-so hotel”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I chose this hotel, because of reviews and was very disappointed with the service. I booked an online special 20% off, paid total non refundable rate and got an email confirmation of what I was charged, it sait "grand total", balance zero. On arrival I was told that they charged 1st night only, and showed me the balance, which I didn't realize was wrong. On checkout I added up the charges and realized I was being overcharged. They said that my email didn't include resort charges and asked me to forward Their own email to them. I did that and spent 40 minutes at the desk waiting for adjustment. I was told by Michael that the charges would be corrected, and I should go to the room to get my suitcase. When I returned, I was told charges can not be corrected, because manager Karl said no. I told them that I would dispute the difference with my card, but Michael said I couldn't do that, because on arrival I signed for the balance. In the end this was The Worst customer service I ever encountered. I have a proof, their own email of my grand total, and they didn't care. I had a taxi waiting, so I had to pay what they said and leave, but I am very upset by this experience. There are better hotels for this price, overall it is a very simple hotel, with poor WI-FI, small breakfast. Pick a place with good customer service, it is the most important thing in the end. Also, very important, the little fridge in the room doesn't keep anything cold, it is a mini bar only.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank newyorker56789
kgera, Manager at Villa Italia Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
I’m very surprised to hear that you experienced poor customer service at our hotel. My entire hotel team went above and beyond to ensure you and your family had a wonderful stay while a guest of Villa Italia Hotel in beautiful Miami Beach, Florida.

Our front desk staff was very engaging and informative and strived to answer all your questions about Miami Beach and local attractions. As a matter of fact a staff member took it upon themselves to research and print coupons for reduced admission tickets to both Jungle Island interactive theme park and the Jewish Museum of Florida for your enjoyment. We made it a priority to ensure that your son’s favorite cereal was always readily available for breakfast and when your father purchased groceries & delicatessens that were too large to store in the room’s mini-bar, we extended an accommodation to store his perishable food in our hotel refrigerator so he can have them readily available for both breakfast & lunch.

Our housekeepers diligently cleaned your room everyday and replaced your dirty sheets & towels daily with premium bed-linens and towels.

Thus acknowledging that both our front desk and housekeeping teams worked very hard to ensure you experienced a pleasant stay; it leads me to believe that your problem with customer service stems from the miscommunication of the $8.95 daily resort fee so let me take a moment to elaborate your reservation in hopes of providing some clarity.

The daily resort fee of $8.95 allows us to continue to provide many of the services which you enjoyed without interruption such as a complimentary continental breakfast, free unlimited internet (both wired & Wi-Fi), local and toll free dialing, daily newspaper, free on-demand premium movie channels, snacks & beverages throughout the day and daily beach towels & umbrellas. Our daily resort fee of $8.95 is a fraction of the cost that many other nearby hotels charge as resort fees without providing parallel service such as a complimentary continental breakfast.

You booked your stay directly through our website which clearly describes the $8.95 daily Resort Fee throughout our website particularly in the “Room & Rates” page which describes the respective room types available at our hotel before prompting you to the reservations page.

When you booked your reservation you selected one of our special promotions; “book now and receive 20% off your entire room stay”. The only way to qualify for this promotion and for Villa Italia Hotel to extend the 20% off is to prepay your entire room stay in advance. Other charges such as valet parking, mini-bar, resort fee, tours and other potential charges are not included in the prepay amount because charges such as these only accrue upon arrival and will be difficult to estimate.

In addition to the resort fee mentioned numerously on our website; we also send you 2 email confirmations once you complete your reservation via the web. The first email confirmation letter is a just a receipt that states the special room promotion and the amount paid. The 2nd email confirmation is the standard hotel confirmation that includes all imperative information such as confirmation number, hotel address, price breakdown, check-in /check-out time, resort fee and hotel check-in policy that requires a valid I.D. and a major credit card for all incidentals and /or additional charges you may accrue while staying with us on vacation.

Finally, at check-in we provided you a sign –in sheet which stipulates hotels rules & regulations and also covers the daily resort fee which you signed and dated agreeing to the terms.

I hope this explanation provided you with some clarity and helped elaborate the issue which you discussed.

Villa Italia Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
nj
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Our trip to South beach was greatly improved because of the attentiveness of this hotel. We were greeted by a pleasant staff, who took no time to introduce us to the secret treasures of south beach just a hsort walk away. The atmosphere was quaint and calm, but not far from the attractive night life of infamous south beach. The room was so clean and comfortable, from the bed to the temperature. I'm not usually one to EVER mention cleanliness, but I am telling you the amount of time the cleaning ladies must have spent cleaning really showed. We were tended to, hand and foot, with one of a kind personal service from the hotels own general manager, Michael as well as the rest of the staff. He helped us find our way around town, was there anytime we had a question or needed anything at all, (like having an umbrella and towels ready for us in case we needed them for the beach the next day-so thoughtful!)...we had a blast in South beach and this hotel was the positive attitude we needed every morning after our long nights!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I stayed here two nights for business this past September. New renovation and not the typical funky chic common to the area. More of a clean, euro style boutique hotel - a bit off the beaten path in South Beach, but close enough to walk to where you want to go.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Villa Italia in late January for 2 nights before a Caribbean Cruise. The location was perfect, far enough away from the noise and crowds but close to enough to all the activities and attractions of South Beach. The room was large, spotlessly clean with a very comfortable bed. But best of all was the attentive and friendly staff who made us feel right at home. I cannot thank Michael enough, who went far out of his way to help us in those frantic moments just before check out when I found out I had won the lottery among Giants season ticket holders to attend the Super Bowl. Since I was leaving on a 12 day cruise that day, not to return until the morning before the Super Bowl, Michael assisted in making copies of my driving license, a letter of authorization , and other documents, and faxing them to my son to allow him to pick up the Super Bows tickets, and change my travel plans at the end of our cruise. Then, to top it all off, I was horrified to find out that I had left my drivers license with Michael at the front desk of the hotel. But not to worry. After calling Michael, he dropped what he was doing and immediately got into his car, and drove the 20 minutes to the cruise pier to personally deliver my drivers license! In all our years of travel, I have never seen any employee go out of their way to that extent. After enjoying an amazing Super Bowl game with my son, I will be forever indebted to him. We will always remember the Villa Italia and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stevenb1857
Rockville Centre, New York
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We recently had a pleasant stay at the Villa Italia. The room was nicely furnished and clean with very nice bedding. The hotel is a short walk from the beach and the activities on Collins Avenue and Ocean Drive but in a quiet area. We were there during spring break and were undisturbed in our room. The staff was very pleasant and helpful suggesting restaurants and supplying beach towels etc. A good experience and highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SSchramm79
Chesterfield, Va
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for three nights. The whole property was clean and well designed. There was an inviting patio where we enjoyed a "free breakfast". The service was impeccable and extremely accommodating. Thank you, Michael, for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed at Vila Italia with my family in december and again in january 2012 and we have never expierienced more friendly and helpfull staff. They made us feel so welcome. And the rooms were fantastic - nice and the beds were so pleasent to sleep in. We stayed at both the rooms and the vila.
We will at any time recommend this hotel to everybody we know who wants a nice and cosy hotel at Miami Beach.

Room Tip: If you are a family,you should try the Vila. Its like haveing your own house at Miami Beach, wiht yo...