“I love the Ritz”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, California
“I love the Ritz”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We arrived in Miami from San Diego early at 6 am and were worried about when we would be able to check-in. We called the hotel and explained the situation and they allowed us to check in early at 7 am. This was the beginning of a wonderful stay in the hotel. When we checked in, they upgraded us to an ocean view room with balcony. We had a wonderful time, the kids loved the pool and we enjoyed the spacious room, location and wonderful brunch in the restaurant. The only negative...the room was spacious but a little dated. Other than that...FABULOUS!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

This was my first experience at this hotel, and I have the say the location was great! It has a lovely beach and the pool is nice...but be sure to watch that the building doesn't block your sun. The staff is responsive to your needs, but the service is not over the top as one expects at a Ritz Carlton. The front desk and bell staff were pleasant and accomodating, but they do not attempt to call you by name as in other hotels such as the Fairmont. We stayed three nights at this location and overall it was a good stay, but not excellent. We had an ocean front room with a balcony on a high floor. It was nice to have a small balcony, but the room itself was nothing special. Particularly after staying at luxury properties like the Wynn in Vegas the bathroom at the Ritz was small and unimpressive...and no television. The furnishings were average, nothing special. I realize how snobby that sounds, but the truth is when you stay at a five star hotel and are paying nearly $500 a night for a king room you have expectations. At any rate, on the first day of our stay housekeeping failed to make it to our room and had to be requested at 5:00pm . That was a major inconvenience. The next day, housekeeping was fine, but the turn down service failed to leave chocolates. On the third day all went well. On the brighter side, the bar is a cozy spot for a night cap and they had a live band a couple of the nights which was fun. As I said, overall it was a very nice hotel, but next time I visit Miami I will opt for another five star hotel as this one did not wow me as I expected. To me, the details matter.

Room Tip: Opt for ocean front or ocean view
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

After doing some research I wanted to make sure I chose a hotel with a
"wow" factor in order to impress my wife for Valenitnes Day. I chose to
upgrade to be club level hoping to make have an amazing experience. I
could never have predicted the value of my upgrade. When we arrived to
the hotel we were greeted by Bobby at the Front Door with a great smile.
He introduced us to Brian, who already knew our name. Brian escorted us
to the Club Level where we were checked in. On the way to te elevator we
passed 5 people who all knew and greeted us by name.  Brian took my bags
and escorted us all the way to the lounge. Once we got to the lounge he
offered us a glass of champagne, which we of course accepted. We felt
like celebrities, in South Beach!!! I spoke to Brian and asked him if he
could set up a surprise for my wife. I asked him to please grab some
gifts for my wife out of the car and have them place in my room during
turndown. I informed Brian when we would be having dinner and he
arranged for the gifts to be placed in the room. When we returned from dinner several people greater us by name. I guess one of the people must've remembered us from before and communicated it to all. It was amazing. We went up to the room and sure enough my wife walked in the bed room and was floored by what she saw on the bed. My gifts for her were on the bed placed elegantly. She could not understand how I had pulled it off. I am not smooth but the staff at the Ritz-Carlton made my wife, for five minutes, think I was. When we returned the next day tithe club level for breakfast, they remembered us and recognized us by name. Until the moment we left we felt like celebrities. My wife stays at home with our 18 month old all day and needed a well deserved retreat. Thank you Ritz-Carlton South Beach and all your amazing staff for making us feel so welcomed and appreciated.

• Stayed February 2012
Vail, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

If you took away the brand (Ritz Carlton) you would be staying in an average South Beach hotel... and yes there are many located nearby that are much nicer. The location is amazing and the staff are wonderful... The downside? The dated carpet throughout and rooms are very "blah." Cheap roll-a-ways, with beds are not to "heavenly." I would rate Marriott JW hotels MUCH nicer. With reading other reviews, they all praise the location and staff but really not much more than that. Is it worth the price? no. Did I have a good time with the family? yes./

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We spent 6 wonderful nights at the Ritz-Carlton South Beach on the Club Level in January, 2012. Saying the service was impeccable is somewhat redundant as it is always that way at every Ritz Carlton. We had time to enjoy most of the amenities that are offered and I can comment on them: Although we ate most of our breakfasts in the club floor lounge we did eat once in the dining room and the food and service were perfect. (Coffee was heavenly) The Spa treatments were superb and my husband reports he had the best therapeutic massage he has ever had in his life – must less from a hotel spa, from Cory, I believe was his name. We had lunch at the pool, dinner at the on-site restaurant and at the restaurant at the boardwalk/oceanfront. All were good. (Pool food, however, is just pool food) Housekeeping was very prompt and thorough – something I always judge critically. They seemed to intuitively know I was unimpressed with the Neutrogena products left in the room and started stocking the Bulgari. Why even bother with the Neutrogena?
As usual the Club Level was a cut above in service and the presentations always tasty. This club level lounge, however, did not have their employees mix drinks to order as have all the other club levels where we have stayed. When we asked for martinis they had to go look for martini glasses and then handed them to us together with a shaker – not exactly what we have come to expect. (I can do that at home – we are paying them for a little extra service)
We have stayed several times at Loews, just a short walk away, and enjoy both places. The Ritz is a smaller hotel and therefore a little more quiet and elegant.
My husband had a meeting for a few days and stayed three extra days so the trip was a combination.

Room Tip: As long as you're going to the beach, splurge for an ocean front balcony. After all, you don...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

This is a fantastic property. The location on the beach is second to none. You are in close proximity to anywhere you want to be in South Beach. Go for a run down to the end of south beach or walk down to to many restaurants.

The property is deceivingly large. Some rooms can be a hike to the pool or the beach. The pool and hot tubs are very nice and well maintained. The bar by the beach was not open during my stay which was a mild disappointment, but it may only be open weekends.

The staff are wonderful and will not have you asking twice for anything. My housekeeper came for turndown service and when I declined she would not take no for an answer on getting me extra towels, chocolates or whatever I wanted. It was refreshing for the opposite experience I have had so many times.

Rooms are top notch as you'd expect and well equipped, furnished, etc...

I wish they would re-vamp their food service and bar service, it wasn't bad but just not at the level you'd hope for at a property such as this.

I would definitely return.

Room Tip: i like the rooms that are located nearest the beach. they are a walk to the lobby but quick access...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Klug
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed here for a few days in January and was so very glad I did. From the minute we arrived, the Ritz proved to be worthy of its name. Yes, you can pay less, but it is the Ritz South Beach and the staff made every cent worth it from dining tips and reservations, to gassing up our car as we changed, to a genuine friendly welcome every time we walked in the door.

First class all the way. Can't wait to return and enjoy it all over again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business