“Another Great Stay in SoBe” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
Ranked #35 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Altoona, PA
“Another Great Stay in SoBe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Always a great place to stay in South Beach. Will likely stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

When I stay at a Marriott, I expect a Marriott. When I stay at a Ritz, I expect a Ritz. South Beach Ritz lives up to it's standard through and through.

The hotel has a fantastic vibe and I attribute that to the energy and positive attitude of the team working there. I never once encountered a member of the staff that didn't have that Ritz team player attitude. From the very friendly and welcoming valets, the extremely accommodating front desk and concierge members to the restaurant servers and bartenders who are simply outstanding. One of the things that really impressed me the last two times we visited the property was how truly genuine the service staff was although they have a set gratuity. There is an 18% service charge on the check in the bars and restaurants which may initially bother some people but once they see how hard the staff works at keeping their guests happy, one may want to raise the gratuity as we often did.

I didn't make it out to the ocean, however , I spend a few days but the pool and I certainly left with the WOW effect. There are a couple Pool Concierges (Patrick and Boris- excellent) that will not let your Fiji or Mojito run low. Your shade will be engineered almost half hourly to keep the sun in your "happy zone." Fresh towels, help with dinner recommendations, the list is unlimited. These people are here to make your vacation an amazing experience.

I used the spa quite frequently. While I think they could use a little updating in the facility, it's still impeccably clean and very relaxing. Showers are large and clean, the loge area is a bit snug but very intimate (don't need a big room to wait 5 minutes for your therapist anyway), the lockers are on the small side but if you need more space, they are happy to accommodate you with a second locker or if you want something to be kept in the office, just ask. I had a massage and a pedicure. Very skilled therapists- the massage was excellent and the pedicure was amazing. The Spa Manager, Ericka, makes sure everything runs smoothly and she is clearly committed to making everyone's spa experience a true source of relaxation. She is excellent in recommending a therapist or a treatment. Ask for her if you need a little direction on what service is best for you. She is very friendly and hands on.

If there is a hiccup, you can count on this team to make it right. Although, quite frankly, it's a pretty flawless experience in my opinion. Nice rooms (due to be renovated this summer) with comfortable amenities and terrific housekeeping, CHECK. Great food: CHECK. Terrific team members always enthusiastic about making your vacation excellent: CHECK. Terrific Spa: Check.

Ritz Carlton always makes me happy. I come home a happier mom and wife. This one has my full attention... we will be returning.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TravelerTracy88
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I moved to the Ritz for 4 nights, after having stayed at the Mondrian South Beach for a few days. The hotel itself may not be the most modern decor wise, but their customer service was impeccable. From the moment you walked in you were greeted, checking in was easy, chillaxing on the beach the staff are super attentive and checking out was swift. We checked in earlier than the check in times and they offered us a drink voucher and spa discounts to use whilst waiting for our room to be available. We quickly took them up on their offer and proceded to book in for an hour spa each.

The Concierge also organized a half day trip to the Everglades to the Alligitar Farm which was worth the trip and was not costly at all. The location is fantastic as it's within walking distance to Lincoln Road & Collins Ave further down. It's also close to a few great boutique hotels which have amazing pool bars and restaurants onsite. My favorite was the Hotel Delano for cocktails by the pool and new Italian restaurant called Bianca.

The room we stayed in had two king size single beds and was extremely comfortable and a quiet haven from the beach & restaurant foot traffic. Our room had a balcony and a semi view of the beach area, but hotel itself is set back from the main South beach.

Great breakfast cafes were Front Porch, off Collins Ave. There's also a great book store in the open air mall on Lincoln road. (But I can't remember the name) The book store had a cafe attached at the entrance and looked to have great cafe/brekky/lunch options, but we ran out of time to try. Overall a great experience in Miami and such wonderful memories.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ALM868
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Just returned yesterday from a visit to the Ritz Carlton South Beach. I read other trip advisor reviews before going and they are mixed. First the good news---the location is perfect if you want to be right in the thick of things. Food, shopping, and other activities are all within a few blocks of the hotel. Also, the service was great. Not as great as I remembered having stayed at other Ritz Carlton properties in the past, but certainly everyone seemed to try hard to make our visit enjoyable. There is a wonderful Sunday brunch. While the brunch is not inexpensive, it really is everything you could ask for in an upscale brunch. On the negative side of things ---this is an older Ritz property and you can see some of that in the hotel lobby (which is really dark) and in the carpeting in the rooms. In addition, as others have pointed out, the hotel pool was extremely crowded (with loads of kids). If you want a more adult-oriented vibe, you should pass on this property. Also, we used a platinum american express card which comes with the possibility of a room upgrade. When we arrived we were told that the hotel was completely booked and an upgrade was out of the question. However, because we were there through a Sunday night, I asked on Sunday whether there was a possibility of a upgrade for our last night (to a beach side room) and I was told (without the woman bothering to check) that it wasn't a possibility even though it was clear that a bunch of guests checked out on Sunday. For the prices the Ritz charges, I at least want to feel that an effort was made to check on the availability of an upgrade. I just didn't like the idea basically being dismissed out of hand. It kind of turned me off to staying at another Ritz. So, while it was a good stay overall, I probably won't stay at the Ritz again. I wish I could say it was fabulous but it just wasn't (although the bill, for just three days, would knock your socks off!)

Room Tip: Be willing to pay more than the already crazy price tag.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank glorialavista10
Albany, New York, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at the South Beach Miami Ritz-Carlton for one week in December, 2011. This is hotel has everything one expects from a Ritz-Carlton. The hotel is old but beautiful and elegant. We had a large balcony. The view of the beach from our room was spectacular, although the hotel is set back a ways from the water and this view cannot compare with the up-close view of the water from the Ritz-Carlton in Laguna Niguel, California. This location is perfect in two respects. First, the beach is wonderful. Miami Beach is one of the few places in the continental United States where one can go swimming in the ocean in December. Second, the hotel is located in a prime tourist area. One is only a short walk away (going up Lincoln, away from the beach) from a promenade with a high density of restaurants. We had the privacy of our room when we wanted that, but we had an extraordinary kaleidoscope of life just outside the hotel when we wanted that. For good, inexpensive food, we liked the Front Porch Café on Ocean Boulevard, just a short walk from the hotel (but not in the promenade). (Ocean Boulevard can be reached by means of a concrete walkway at the edge of the sand, in back of the hotel.) The shopping in this area is not to my wife’s taste, but we had a car and access to two great shopping malls that are easily reached by car – the Bal Harbour Mall and the Aventura Mall. Our room was spacious and the bathroom had two sinks, as we have come to expect in a Ritz-Carlton. My wife has a trick back and did not like the worn-out mattress. We were told that a better mattress was out of the question until May, which I found to be a surprising response from a five-star hotel, but the management was able to place a piece of plywood under our mattress, which solved the problem. We had a wonderful time here and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago ,IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here before and during a business conference for 3 nights. The key benefits for the property are its central locations and customer service oriented staff. Our 8th floor room faced Collins avenue and was comfortable and had a very nice bathroom. However, the bathroom had no electrical outlets anywhere. The pool and beach are the other key attributes both which are serviced by very attentive staff members. We sampled the bar and hotel food through our conference which we found to be very good. Overall, may be not the newest or most plush but good service and location.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are the best but at a higher rate.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jsmithkra
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I recently stayed at the Ritz in south beach and had a great stay. My daughter and I spent 4 great nights in an executive level room. The location could not be better, five minutes from Lincoln Road. I give the hotel high marks for cleanliness, location and fine staff. The only negative would be some arbitrarily large fees attached to some items. All in all though, great time.

• Stayed March 2012