“Nice hotel with great views”

Hotel Riu Plaza Miami Beach
Ranked #92 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 5 March 2012

This hotel was nice -- great oceanviews. Lobby was beautiful, pool area very nice along with the snack bar. The rooms could use a little updating - but when you have that view.....with the reasonable price - I really can't complain too much. We truly enjoyed this area!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank PB6751

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Last year in November I booked the Riu Florida Beach
and was kind of dissapointed.

It was shown as a 4 star hotel and when you enter the
hotel it looks really nice. The lobby is huge, the front stuff
very nice (special thanks again to Silvia and Nuria - they
were really superkind!) but with this the PROs end.

The Location on Collins Avenue (ca 31st street) is kind of
ok, you have a small 10-15minutes walk to Lincoln Road and
if you add 10 more minutes you are at south beach, ocean Drive
or the clubs on Washington Avenue.
BUT, as I was there, directly in front of my window was a huge
construcion work going on, the road were also under recostruciton
and the "side sea view" was on a mess of construcition, flooded, with
seegrass already grown so I can not imagine, it was just for a week or
two there!

WiFi is not free, you have to pay and then... it did not work - they told me
it-s gonna be fixed within an hour or so, in fact during my whole stay I could
not get a internet connection so I had to go to the next starbucks, to check my
emails, check in for my flight etc. REALLY NOT COOL!

But I would like to finish with the worst: the rooms!
The rooms are spacious but old, ugly and somehow used up - stains on the
floor, old carpets, an unkind smell welcomes you. You feel like for the last 20
years this room was used and more or less nothing refurnished or redesigned!
Also the bathroom is more at 2 star level, then deserving 3 or 4. You got just one
liquid soap as showercreme and shampoo, it smells not nice, but fits very good to the overall grey and old fashioned style of the bathroom. The towels were not 100%ly white, even washed, there were some stains on them.

Oh, nearly forgotten one more pro: its really nice, if you want to go for a run in the morning, jogging on the beach or the boardwalk is easily possible, swimming in the ocean also, but the hotels swimming pool is way to small and nearly all chairs are reserved in a German-British war for "who gets most chairs blocked without beeing at the pool" annoying!!

My suggestion: after a makeover this could be a nice hotel, but in this condition - I would not stay there again!

Room Tip: I had a bad one, so... sorry, do not have a clue... Maybe ask for a room with view NOT on the huge...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank StefanBungalski
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at RIU for a weekend in January. I got the room at a Hotwire discount rate of around $105 plus tax per night. Much lower than any other comparable hotels I could find in Miami Beach. We found the hotel to be very charming, especially the lobby. It had a very classic 1930s feel to it. The staff at the front desk always seemed swamped but treated everyone fairly and friendly. Definitely worth giving specific credit to their service. The rooms were very standard. One oddity, we were given a room with two double beds. I phoned down to reception and was told that the entire hotel only has 3-4 rooms with king size beds. Finding this odd, I went downstairs personally and asked a different staff member, but was met with the same answer. Not a huge impediment to our weekend, but odd nonetheless. I also noticed that half of our floor was blocked off for renovations, so it would appear that the property is taking efforts to update. The view from our room at one angle was a lovely view of the ocean, but at the other angle was the shell of the building next door that is under construction. Our discounted rate did not include breakfast so I cannot comment on that. But I would suggest trying the Front Porch Cafe down near 15th and Ocean drive!

Honestly we did not spend much time in the hotel during our stay, and did not take advantage of the pool or beach access. But upon check out we went out there while waiting for the car and were pleasantly surprised how nice the pool area was. The beach access was also convenient, and it appeared you could rent chairs from a vendor right out front.

I only had two complaints worthy of mentioning. 1) the first night the shower pressure was hot and cold, literally! It would start out a good pressure with a medium comfortable temperature, then would shift to low pressure freezing cold, and back to high pressure scalding hot! Very dangerous and uncomfortable, but this only happened on Friday night. 2) I had read mixed reviews about the valet service, so came in with an open mind. Much like the front desk, the valets were always over worked and scrambling to get cars. Rarely did a valet greet us to open the doors and take our bags. I generally would unload the car and hand the keys to someone directly. No biggie from my perspective, but others may be used to better service. I would also suggest calling down about 10-15 minutes before you want to leave so they have time to bring the car around. This worked out great for us, except on Sunday morning, when of course every one is checking out.

Overall a great option in Miami Beach, nothing glamorous or fancy. But at this price you can spend all you want on $16 drinks in South Beach!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2012

stayed here for 3 nights,4 days,really bad....my room was dirty and with ants,my advice:stay in another place more confortable........

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank gabriela63
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Stayed here for 3 days early Feb / 12. First impression is good. Lobby and grounds are quite striking. Location is right on the beach / boardwalk and just 1/2 hour stroll to the art-deco district of S. Beach. Staff were helpful, but their rooms need a complete makeover. Carpeting, furnishings, washroom, etc. all need to be modernized. Free internet, but in lobby only and for a limited time. Inconvenient for business unless you pay for a premium package. Food was OK...Breakfast and dinner were buffet style only, but adequate. If you want a 5 star, do not choose this place. It is at most, a 3.5 overall. The grounds help make up for the deficiency in the rooms.

Room Tip: Insist in a pool / beach view with a balcony. Some rooms do not have balconies and the window stare...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Stayed here 1 night prior to a cruise as we got a very good deal. It's not located in the "heart" of South Beach. It rained most of the time we were there so didn't get to sit by the pool or walk the beach. There is a boardwalk that goes along between the beach and the hotels. Along this boardwalk are access points for the public to have access to the beach. Not much for restaurants nearby. We were able to walk to a Subway.
The hotel does offer a meal plan if you're interested in their buffet.
The room was a bit outdated and the building itself is older. The window in the bathroom was odd and the room itself was a strange shape. The furnishings could be updated. We had a corner room looking toward the road.
We used the valet parking at $18 for the night. They were very nice and so was the front desk staff.
I believe this RIU property is marketed heavily to Europeans as I heard most guests speaking a foreign language.
You would definitely need a car to stay at this property.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2012

This is an alright hotel, good enough pool, big enough rooms, spacy elevators, but still not the newest standard or interiour that reminds you off 2011... Location is nice, fair chanse of finding public parking in the streets behind the hotel, but valet is probably to prefer... Staff was medium, nothing i would remember for excepsional great or anything. Direct acsess to the beach from the pool like a lot of other hotels in the same street...

Room Tip: stayed at the fourth floor, perhaps a room higher up would give a better seawiew....
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends