“Riu Florida Beach, Fading fast?”

Hotel Riu Plaza Miami Beach
Ranked #93 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Riu Florida Beach, Fading fast?”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My family of 4 (myself, wife, and two sons aged 11 & 15) stayed in this hotel 5 years ago and was quite happy with it. We originally chose it for the great location--a little north of South Beach (short cab ride or a pleasant walk to Lincoln Road), so it is quiet, but right on the beach. But, we went there this February and it is a different story.

Riu updated the rooms somewhat but the carpets are dingy and the TV is a blast from the past. This might be a minor problem, but there is much more. Last time the swimming pool remained open late into the evening and was heated for night swimming. Now the pool closes at 6 pm and isn't heated. Even during the day when there is sun, the pool was cold. We hardly swam at all.

The beach umbrellas were complimentary five years ago and now cost $30. No wonder, very few people were renting them.

Housekeeping wasn't efficient. One day, we gave up on cleaning though we left our room unoccupied from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., it was not cleaned. The next day, also, no one cleaned until will complained to the front desk.

Riu has a small gym, but it is serviceable--a few treadmills, elipticals, bikes, and weight machines, as well as TVs. Free Wi-Fi is available, but only in the lobby for a single 90-minute period daily. A few minor issues, but for our kids they were important. Riu advertises a pool table on their website but it was broken the whole week, with no repairs planned. Also, ping-pong tables advertised were nowhere in sight.

The Riu is squandering its great location by not investing in adequate upgrades and service. Europeans know the Riu name, since it is a chain, but people will soon refrain from coming here if these declines continue.

Room Tip: ocean views are beautiful
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Sankarmukh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I am a Riu class member and where possible I tend to use this group, but I have to say I am now changing my mind. This Hotel in Collins Ave Miami is in the shall we sy less popular area and is in need of a make over, the hotel is clean and tidy but old and fading fast. On arrival after along late flight we were allocted our room and went straight to bed, The following mornig we awoke to find we had put in a standard room not the seafront room I had booked, I raised this with the front desk who appologised and they said that they would refund the difference, I am still waiting for this some 1 month latter ,poor.
The hotel when I was there had to one side had a semi derlict hotel with a stagnant pond below it and to the other side was a construction site with heavy breakers and grit blasting going on all day, extremely noisy
I felt that the quality of the food was poor and not up to the stanard of there other hotels
and for the price not good value at all. the garden area and pool were in dire need of a good spruce up too.
The hotel rooms were clean and tidy and had recently been redecorated but the hotel was looking old and tired, whilst I was there there were redecorating rooms with the hotel in operation, not a good move Riu.
On a more positive note the hotel was right on the board walk albeit some way out, 1/2 an hours walk from the nearest shopping area
All in all not a good experince.

Room Tip: ask for sea front facing with balcony.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank roaminggeoff

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Columbia, MD
Reviewed 5 March 2012

This hotel was nice -- great oceanviews. Lobby was beautiful, pool area very nice along with the snack bar. The rooms could use a little updating - but when you have that view.....with the reasonable price - I really can't complain too much. We truly enjoyed this area!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank PB6751
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Last year in November I booked the Riu Florida Beach
and was kind of dissapointed.

It was shown as a 4 star hotel and when you enter the
hotel it looks really nice. The lobby is huge, the front stuff
very nice (special thanks again to Silvia and Nuria - they
were really superkind!) but with this the PROs end.

The Location on Collins Avenue (ca 31st street) is kind of
ok, you have a small 10-15minutes walk to Lincoln Road and
if you add 10 more minutes you are at south beach, ocean Drive
or the clubs on Washington Avenue.
BUT, as I was there, directly in front of my window was a huge
construcion work going on, the road were also under recostruciton
and the "side sea view" was on a mess of construcition, flooded, with
seegrass already grown so I can not imagine, it was just for a week or
two there!

WiFi is not free, you have to pay and then... it did not work - they told me
it-s gonna be fixed within an hour or so, in fact during my whole stay I could
not get a internet connection so I had to go to the next starbucks, to check my
emails, check in for my flight etc. REALLY NOT COOL!

But I would like to finish with the worst: the rooms!
The rooms are spacious but old, ugly and somehow used up - stains on the
floor, old carpets, an unkind smell welcomes you. You feel like for the last 20
years this room was used and more or less nothing refurnished or redesigned!
Also the bathroom is more at 2 star level, then deserving 3 or 4. You got just one
liquid soap as showercreme and shampoo, it smells not nice, but fits very good to the overall grey and old fashioned style of the bathroom. The towels were not 100%ly white, even washed, there were some stains on them.

Oh, nearly forgotten one more pro: its really nice, if you want to go for a run in the morning, jogging on the beach or the boardwalk is easily possible, swimming in the ocean also, but the hotels swimming pool is way to small and nearly all chairs are reserved in a German-British war for "who gets most chairs blocked without beeing at the pool" annoying!!

My suggestion: after a makeover this could be a nice hotel, but in this condition - I would not stay there again!

Room Tip: I had a bad one, so... sorry, do not have a clue... Maybe ask for a room with view NOT on the huge...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank StefanBungalski
Houston, TX
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at RIU for a weekend in January. I got the room at a Hotwire discount rate of around $105 plus tax per night. Much lower than any other comparable hotels I could find in Miami Beach. We found the hotel to be very charming, especially the lobby. It had a very classic 1930s feel to it. The staff at the front desk always seemed swamped but treated everyone fairly and friendly. Definitely worth giving specific credit to their service. The rooms were very standard. One oddity, we were given a room with two double beds. I phoned down to reception and was told that the entire hotel only has 3-4 rooms with king size beds. Finding this odd, I went downstairs personally and asked a different staff member, but was met with the same answer. Not a huge impediment to our weekend, but odd nonetheless. I also noticed that half of our floor was blocked off for renovations, so it would appear that the property is taking efforts to update. The view from our room at one angle was a lovely view of the ocean, but at the other angle was the shell of the building next door that is under construction. Our discounted rate did not include breakfast so I cannot comment on that. But I would suggest trying the Front Porch Cafe down near 15th and Ocean drive!

Honestly we did not spend much time in the hotel during our stay, and did not take advantage of the pool or beach access. But upon check out we went out there while waiting for the car and were pleasantly surprised how nice the pool area was. The beach access was also convenient, and it appeared you could rent chairs from a vendor right out front.

I only had two complaints worthy of mentioning. 1) the first night the shower pressure was hot and cold, literally! It would start out a good pressure with a medium comfortable temperature, then would shift to low pressure freezing cold, and back to high pressure scalding hot! Very dangerous and uncomfortable, but this only happened on Friday night. 2) I had read mixed reviews about the valet service, so came in with an open mind. Much like the front desk, the valets were always over worked and scrambling to get cars. Rarely did a valet greet us to open the doors and take our bags. I generally would unload the car and hand the keys to someone directly. No biggie from my perspective, but others may be used to better service. I would also suggest calling down about 10-15 minutes before you want to leave so they have time to bring the car around. This worked out great for us, except on Sunday morning, when of course every one is checking out.

Overall a great option in Miami Beach, nothing glamorous or fancy. But at this price you can spend all you want on $16 drinks in South Beach!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 20 February 2012

stayed here for 3 nights,4 days,really bad....my room was dirty and with ants,my advice:stay in another place more confortable........

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank gabriela63
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Stayed here for 3 days early Feb / 12. First impression is good. Lobby and grounds are quite striking. Location is right on the beach / boardwalk and just 1/2 hour stroll to the art-deco district of S. Beach. Staff were helpful, but their rooms need a complete makeover. Carpeting, furnishings, washroom, etc. all need to be modernized. Free internet, but in lobby only and for a limited time. Inconvenient for business unless you pay for a premium package. Food was OK...Breakfast and dinner were buffet style only, but adequate. If you want a 5 star, do not choose this place. It is at most, a 3.5 overall. The grounds help make up for the deficiency in the rooms.

Room Tip: Insist in a pool / beach view with a balcony. Some rooms do not have balconies and the window stare...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple