“AMAZING DEAL on Priceline.”

The Palms Hotel & Spa
Ranked #30 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I am not sure how we got this place, but I bid around $85 on Priceline one time for a four staff and got this place. The room was not what i thought at first, so i went back down and asked for a different one, they accommodated with no problems. Nice renovations in the second room, but I knew we were just there to sleep and would be sightseeing most of the time, it's what the wife wants! In summary, very swanky building, nice birds (macaws), great happy hour drinks (this place got me to love Mojitos), wonderful beach location, and the bed/room was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Great romantic hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,764)

Reviewed 6 July 2011

Pros
1. On the beach. You get free Beach chairs and umbrella.
2. Amazing Lounge
3. The cleaning ladies are very very friendly and nice.
4. Ocean boulevard is around a mile. You can walk
5. Nice little cozy rooms
6. Yummy food

Cons
1. COSTLY and I mean costly food (it was worth it though)
2. 18% gratuity on everything (they do that all through SoBe restaurants)
3. DON'T get fooled by the Photos. The hotel is not as good as the photo depicts them to be. Specially the rooms.
4. The staff at front desk was pretty rude
5. $29 valet parking

My Verdict: I surely will go again. I felt I got what I spent my money on. But next time, I wouldn't rent a car for $150 and spend another 100 bucks on parking. You can walk to anywhere. And as much as I liked the food, I won't eat or order drinks till I have enough moni to splurge :)
And the guy at reception was really rude.

Room Tip: Call them. You will get a better deal
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank skud-traveler
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This hotel was everything I was hoping for. The hotel staff was so friendly and so very helpful. Beautiful grounds and the beach area was so perfect for relaxing. I will be going back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2011

The Palms Resort and Spa is conveniently located on 30th street a couple of blocks away from South Beach. The hotel is in walking distance to all the excitement of South Beach via boardwalk or you can take a taxi there for about $7 or $8 dollars. The hotel is located right on the beach and accessible to the beach from the back gate of the hotel. The beach is small but private and nice as the water is gorgeous. The beach chairs and umbrellas are included in the price of the hotel stay which is an added bonus. We arrived at the hotel early but were allowed to check in and it was convenient and the staff was very friendly. The concierge service staff was very nice and helpful especially Paiola as I hope I spell her name right as she helped us with locating restaurants and booking our boat tour of the city. The hotel has a beautiful lobby and in the evening time they have a gentlemen playing nice piano music which is very relaxing. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. The pool area is nice but does not have a whirlpool. The rooms are very nice, comfy and clean. The rainfall showers were very relaxing and our oceanfront view was amazing. The only downside to the room was there is no balconies but other than that the room is great. There are no refrigerators in the room but you can ask the front desk for someone to send you up a mini-refrigerator to your room for free. We did not use the restaurant but my wife did use the spa services and stated the services were very good and relaxing. There is a charge for parking as it is valet and there are also hotel fee charges added each day to your bill.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My wife and I absolutely loved the decor, cleanliness, and the atmosphere of the Palms. The staff was courteous, hotel was modern but not too modern and really fit our taste.
Our room was small but adequate. Had it been smaller it could have posed a problem but for the two of us it was enough. We loved the modern shower in our room. For the price we paid I would say we got our money's worth for sure.

The only thing I would caution people about is the fact that there is very little within walking distance of the hotel. We looked at a map before we booked, we knew it was a little off the beaten path but we were OK with that. We didn't want to be right in the middle of the busiest (read: loudest) part of South Beach so for us it was perfect, however the cab fares did add up after awhile.
We made the walk to Ocean Drive once and that was enough. After that it was cabs and expect to pay $10 or close to get to south beach or back.

They have a nice pool and a beach area with free towels and beach chairs. The beach area was very clean. The pool is open 24 hours however the place was deserted and the bar closed at midnight.

All in all a good experience and truly a bargain for how nice this hotel is compared to other places I looked at closer to the "scene". Would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank DFWTravelerDallas_TX
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I was planning a little romantic getaway with my husband so we decided to stay in town. We live in Miami and thought we can receive a Florida Resident special getaway package in Miami Beach. Well, The Palms Hotel falsely advertised that we can receive discounts for residents. The rooms were $179.00 which the complete total was shown on invoice as I reserved it online. We drove 12 miles to get to the hotel. As valet took our car, they notified us that the valet cost is $30.00 a day. That was not advertised in the Florida resident package. We tried to argue it, but the entire hotel (from valet, bellmen, and staff) had their pitch down. We let it go because we did not want to start out on the wrong foot. When making reservations, I made sure to get a room with double beds due to a bigger square footage. I asked the front desk clerk to confirm my 2 beds. The clerk did confirm the 2 double beds. We get to the room, not only was it a small King bed, but the windows were nailed shut. I mean, we got a beach front hotel to enjoy the view and breeze. We eventually got 2 queen beds and I will say they gave us an ocean front room (which I requested to be upgraded when we arrived and we were willing to pay for the difference. The clerk told us there were no ocean front rooms with double beds.) After spending the night in with room service, I found that we did not receive the 10% discount for dining at the restaurant that was falsely advertised on the Florida Resident discount package. After trying to enjoy the few days we were there, we receive a bill for over $1,000. For 2 nights @ $179.00, do the math for all the other hidden charges that is not advertised on the Florida resident package. In addition to all this, as we were trying to enjoy the ocean view, we found over a dozen large rats right over the restaurant and have video to prove it. The reason we videotaped the rats on the roof is because my husband’s employee is looking to get married at the hotel and wanted him to be aware of all the rat activity that occurs over the restaurant and wedding area. It was not done with malice.
Unfortunately, there are many Miami and South Beach Hotels that are known to do this to tourists, but all the more shamefully; this is being done to their own people and community. With all this, it’s not necessary to do this to patrons. The hotel, the city, and the people are enough to make people come back. There is so much potential here in Miami, but it’s unfortunate that our own people are ruining it!

Room Tip: Get 2 Queen Size Beds.It's a bigger sq ft.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank NumoonCorp
EBarkey, Guest Relations Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2011

Dear Mrs. Rouco,

It was a pleasure to have met with you during your getaway weekend here in Miami. I am disappointed to hear, however, that after we spoke and you mentioned having enjoyed your stay and the services provided, that you left dissatisfied with your overall Palms experience and hotel value. As we discussed, our Florida Resident Package is an excellent offer which we provide to our local Florida visitors during the summer months & you can find everything clearly listed on our website, or discussed directly with our staff. Our package offers 10% off Standard room rates, 10% off Spa Services and 10% off dinner at Essensia Restaurant, which were all accurately reflected on your final room folio. I regret if you did not find value with all of our inclusions.

I do sincerely apologize for the error our Front Desk clerk made upon your arrival with not providing the correct bed type as requested, but I am pleased to know that he rectified the situation in an appropriate and efficient manner and located the perfect room with a great view for your stay. We do have a strict maintenance program at the hotel, which we take very seriously here and are investigating your claims. Thank you for your feedback.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome all Florida residents, such as yourself, to the Palms Hotel & Spa for their special Miami destination

Regards,
Elena Barkey

Reviewed 27 June 2011

I just came back from a "girlfriends" trip with 4 of my friends from college. We had a great time at this hotel. Highly recommend taking advantage of their 1/2 price spa services and happy hour promotion on Thursdays. The spa and services were excellent. The rooms and overall decor were very nice. The beds are super comfortable. The staff were exceptionally friendly and attentive.

I have been to Miami Beach before so I appreciated the fact that this hotel did not "nickle and dime" us with additional fees for beach chair and umbrella rental. The food prices were reasonable. Loved the $24 all you can eat breakfast buffet complete with omlette and belian waffle station. Although the drinks were a little pricey. I think that because the hotel is located so far from the main strip and outside food options are limited, they have made an effort to make the food affordable. That being said, it is about an $8-10 cab ride to Ocean Drive or Lincoln Road, where the main action is. If you are staying for awhile, it is better to have a car.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends