“Comfortable rooms-check your bill”

The Palms Hotel & Spa
Ranked #28 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We recently spent a weekend at The Palms Hotel as we were in Miami Beach for a wedding. The room was very comfortable, and the pool area was beautiful . The staff are quite accommodating. The concierge was very helpful in finding transportation for us back to the airport. I would recommend checking your bill carefully. My wife and I were charged for two items from the mini bar (a can of peanuts-$7 and a small bottle of wine-$27). We hadn't had either item. Also, we were charged $27/day for valet parking. The strange thing about that is that we didn't have a car. The man at the front desk was very willing to remove those items from our bill, but I'm glad I checked it carefully. I'm very allergic to cigarette smoke, and I was pleased that all the rooms are no-smoking. However, the area by the pool, the beach area, and an indoor porch (surprising) all had quite a bit of smoke. I guess I was too optimistic about that. Just a couple of problems, but really a very nice hotel overall.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank bostonteacher

Reviewed 6 March 2012

A rare thing indeed to find an independent hotel with an Aveda Spa and a great restaurant on premise! Lovely rooms with a full and half bath made for a wonderful girls weekend getaway as we could both get ready to go out at the same time. The rooms are intimate and cozy, but plenty big for two and attractively decorated. The staff was phenomenal from our reservation to departure was a pleasurable experience. A quiet respite from the world of chains and we were thrilled to find a European style service oriented hotel with a beautiful beach and had we not wanted to try another SOBE restaurant, I could have stayed here all weekend! Thanks!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MB M
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We just got back from South Beach from a business trip. The greatest highlight of our stay was to go back to our "South Beach Home" every night. Wonderful staff, excellent service. Essensia restaurant superb. The personalized treatment added to a recently renovated building with exquisite taste makes this a paradise away from home with great attention to detail.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a plus after a day of working. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the view from the comfort an...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Nachita11
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We booked here with some apprehension. We booked "Superior" room. Prior to arrival I emailed the hotel to confirm room type. I was emailed back that our reservation was intact. Upon arrival we were taken to a beautiful oceanfront room. I asked if any upgrades were available to purchase. I was able to upgrade to a oceanfront suite for a fee that was spectacular. Since then our trip has been more than we could ask. F&B is great. Staff is pleasant with accent on service. Pool and beachfront tropical and inviting. Location is strategic $5 taxi to Lincoln, $8 to Ocean Dr, $15 to Bal Harbor Shops. Quiet bt SoBe standards. Well appointed lobby and verandas. Spa is world class. Gym is adequate, but could use TLC. Cafe, Essential", is great dining experience

Room Tip: Ask for "superior" or "suite" oceanfront.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brad U
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I only stayed one night, but did enjoy the grounds, pool area, and the beach, which is a few steps away from the hotel site. The lobby area is very nice with lovely live orchid plants. The staff was very accommodating. The room I had was average - I was expecting more for the price. The bathroom had poor lighting, if you want to apply make-up. It had a walk-in shower, but no bathtub. There was construction going on next door and there wasn't much as far as shopping or restaurants in the immediate vicinity. It is not in the lively part of South Beach. Lincoln Street is about a mile and half away. As metioned by others, there were several conferences being held at the hotel.
My feeling is that one might do better for the price with a little searching.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lady_Sadie
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Very disappointing.
We stayed here 3 nights in an "ocean view" room which we paid a huge amount of money for, full price no discounts. They put us on the 4th floor and from our small window our view is 50% of a neighboring hotel and the remaining view is full of tree tops with very little ocean viewable. I asked the front desk immediately if we could be moved to a higher floor with an actual ocean view since we were paying full price. They said they would see and let me know. This was 10AM. They had plenty of time to find another room, but they did not. I asked that afternoon, again the next morning and day. I was told we were on a list for another room if one became available. The first night they were booked, but checking their website they had other "ocean view" rooms available the last two nights, but they never moved us; they just ignored our requests.
Room service was fast, but all of the food was cold and not all was correct. The internet is included, but is slow. This may depend on your room, but here on the northern side 4th floor, it's slow.
The pool area and lounging areas are actually small for such a tall hotel, so be prepared to be a little cramped with people all around.
The room was clean and the sheets were soft.
I'm sure you can tell that I'm not happy as I am not. I've not embellished anything, this is actually how it is. Our friends stayed down the road at the same time, and had a very nice experience, so shop around.

Room Tip: Request a room above the 6th floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Brad M
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The landscape is beautiful, the staff accommodating, the restaurant excellent and the accommodations lovely. (The tiny boxed chocolates on the pillow each night were a great treat!) We appreciated the focus on locally used, fresh foods in the restaurant and attention to environmentally conscious choices for the overall management of the property One drawback was the price; it was expensive, but one of few in the area with direct and easy access to the beach. There happened to be construction next door, so daytime Mon.-Fri. is noisy and is likely to stay that way since the work looks far from completion; since that isn't under the hotel's control, it seems unfair to fault it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank cab571
EBarkey, Director of Guest Experience at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Dear Cleveland, Thank you so very much for your absolutely lovely review and for detailing every aspect of your guest experience with us at the Palms. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again and again as our valued repeat guest. Please feel free to contact me directly for any assistance with future bookings as it would be my pleasure to assist you and look after your stays. Sincerely Elena