“Enjoyed our stay”

Ranked #147 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

Jan 2012. We enjoyed our stay. Rooms were spacious, tastefully decorated, comfortable and clean. Don't expect much of a view. Small rooftop pool and deck.
Good location, convenient to beach, Lincoln Mall, Convention center, restaurants and many things. Parking valet directly across street with in/out privilege. The indoor/outdoor bar/restaurant OLA was pricy and packed almost everynight. I understood why because the dinner was absolutely delicious! Nice presentation and good portions. Cerviche appetizer is a must.
Breakfast included -sufficient, simple and continental- fruit, cereal, juice, croissant, yogurt, coffee.
This is a quiet 2 storey hotel (30 rooms) away from the the bustle and yet close to everything. Staff was polite and helpful especially Juan at front desk.
This is good if you don't want the traffic of a big busy hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Thank you for such a positive review of the Sanctuary South Beach hotel! I am thrilled that we were able to accommodate you to your liking and that you took advantage of all the great ammenities we offer! We say that the Sanctuary is the best place to be away from it all but in the middle of it all, and it certainly seems that you got just that with your trips to lincoln road and your enjoyable experience at our private rooftop pool and delicious restaurants. The next time you are in Miami Beach please email Sanctuaryfd@meninhotels.com to book a reservation at a special rate.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Greek first
Tyler, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Priceline selected this hotel for me - and after reading some of the reviews on here I was a little bit nervous. Turns out that was for NO reason! The people who work here make this place awesome! Ana @ the front desk is the nicest, most helpful person I've ever encountered in my travels. Agusto was also very friendly on the phone and patiently answered all my questions prior to traveling to South Beach.

This is a small property but it's very 'boutique-y'! I love the studio apartment feel to the rooms! ONE THING THAT IS MISSING from the rooms - a floor length mirror. All you have to judge your look by is a poorly lit mirror over the sink. Terrible for make-up application! Fortunately I read this in a review and was sure to bring a make-up mirror with me. If they could do anything to improve the room it would be to add better lighting and a floor length mirror.

The pool on the rooftop is teeny tiny - BUT IT'S OPEN! Only about 3 feet deep, it's nice to dangle your feet in and enjoy a cocktail. BUT the place to be is around the corner at the beach!

The hotel is just around the block from beautiful white sands and blue water - forget the pool - this is where you want to be! Although the water was too cold for me (it is January, afterall), it was a great day to layout and get a tan. The hotel referred us to K 17 Beach Club (where the term 'club' is a little misleading). Really, this is a stand where you can pay to use a chair and they will bring you cocktails (which are pretty pricey!). You do get a discount on the chairs for being a guest of the hotel.

Valet was pretty expensive ($25) but really, this was about normal from what I could tell. Just be prepared for that!

Summary: great hotel, great PEOPLE who work there, great location and great room!

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs - with the restaurant downstairs in the hotel lobby, you don't want rest...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
It is so wonderful to see that you enjoyed your stay at the Sanctuary South Beach hotel! I will forward your review along so that the front desk will be aware that they are delivering great service and leaving the guests very happy. I hope you took advantage of dining at Ola and treating yourself to a massage in our renowned spa. There is always next time! We look forward to having you return in the near future.
Cathedral City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

A nice, unique hotel in the heart of South Beach. The room comes with a steam shower, a nice bar/sitting area and a comfortable bed. also love the Keurig Coffee maker in the room.

The downsides were a somewhat inexperienced staff and a terrible parking situation (not owned by the hotel but horrible none-the-less.

• Stayed January 2012
I am glad that you enjoyed all the ammenities and wonderful accomodations that the Sanctuary South Beach has to offer. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay and will use your review as a means to improve our service in the future. I look forward to your return in the near future!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

We had a reservation to stay at this hotel with four other couples to celebrate our friend's 40th birthday. When we arrived at 3:00, we were told our rooms weren't ready, so we walked around and came back. We were then told that our reservation was not for that day, but was entered into their system as the date that we booked the hotel (August instead of October). They sent us over to the Bentley, which had a MUCH better location and customer service. When my husband started to get upset, trying to understand the situation while we were still at the Sanctuary, the girl working the front desk actually said, "don't get upset with me sir, I didn't make the error". Really? Had a decent experience at the Bentley, but were separated from our friends. Our friends that did stay were VERY disappointed in their rooms.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank beth4165
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
I apologize for the inconvenience and the mix up that occurred in the systems with your reservation. I am surprised to hear that your friends were not satisfied with their rooms, since we pride ourselves in the new hotel rooms' spacious, modern design! To make up for you being separated from the rest of your party, I would like to invite you back to stay with us, please email sanctuaryfd@meninhotels.com to make a reservation.

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

This hotel is highly overrated and the pictures on the website are highly deceiving. We had a terrible check in experience by a guy that looked like he walked in off the street to work at the "front desk" which is a tiny desk in the middle of their restaurant. After 20 minutes to check in and outrageous charges on the credit card for incidentals for the 2 rooms we had, we had to get in a dirty, smelly elevator to go up to our rooms. The rooms were not clean. There was dust everywhere and the air conditioning wasn't working right. Some times it decided to work, other times it was ridiculously hot in the room due to the fan not actually working. We did not get enough towels or washcloths each day, nor did they fill our empty kleenex box. It was empty for 3 of the 4 days we were there. We had to leave a note in order to get the proper towels and bathroom tissues.

On top of all of that, we were promised a room with 2 beds, but were given a room with one bed. One member of our family was forced to sleep on an awkward couch for 3 nights. What a rip off and what poor service we received. The beds were not comfortable at all and I would rather have slept on the floor, but the floor was quite dirty, so it was lose-lose.

Oh and the pool is the size of a bathtub.

I would not recommend this hotel and I will never stay here again!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Gigi M
omartorell, General Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Thank you for your recent review. I apologize for your issues during your stay and will be sure to bring your points up to our department heads. Furthermore I assure you that this is not a representation of our bran and would like to invite you back for a future stay as a repeat guest. In regards to our pictures, we are not misleading whatsoever and our amenity pictures are our actual pictures. Please contact me directly at omartorell@meninhotels.com

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

We stayed at the Sanctuary two times during November and both times received with great service at this excellent hotel. Additionally the location on South Beach is terrific and the price is low compared to the hotel and service standard. Highly recommend this to others.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with kids, it is easiest to stay at the ground floor
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jesper m
Thank you for the great feedback and positive words. I couldn’t agree with you more as our location is indeed in the heart of all South Beach and only a stone’s throw away from the beach and it’s amazing views. Once again thank you and we look forward to your next stay in the near future.

All the best,

Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

I have stayed many many times in South Beach as I live only an hour North of Miami, and have stayed at many different hotels. This was my first and LAST time I stay at the Sanctuary!!! I had booked what I thought to be a great deal to stay at my most regular spot 'The Mondrian' However it did prove too good to be true as Bookit.com contacted me to say they unfortunately could no longer
honor the reservation but would place me in a "comparable Hotel, The Sanctuary" Comparable? Absolutely not even close! The experience started just across the street which is known as the hotels valet. I paid a guy 30 bucks then had to carry my own luggage across the street. When I wanted to retrieve my car the following day (around 3pm) the guy told me I had to pay another 20 bucks as I was now on the 'daily rate' as I was supposed to take the car out the same time as check out, 12pm!!! I have never experienced an encounter with Valet like this and informed the guy very firmly I would definitely not be giving him anymore of my money! So once in the Hotel door I was then told that the hotel had no more room keys available and that I would have to get someone to walk me to my room every time I needed to get in to my room. Moving on swiftly I was taken to my room and as soon as the door was opened was hit by a very strong smell of damp. It had been raining earlier on in the day and there was a lovely dripping of water coming through the ceiling right next to the light fitting. I asked for some assistance and a guy came to the room and placed a towel on the floor, nice! So then taking a walk around the 'resort' I came across what seemed to be the pool except it had no water in it. I asked reception if they were planning on filling the pool and they said 'yes first thing tomorrow" The pool never got filled in two days and since returning and reading reviews it seems the waterless pool has been an issue for sometime. I think at a very short glance this hotel may look nice and the rooms overall don't look too bad but take a closer longer look and it really isn't nice at all. How they can promote this place as a 4star Hotel is mind boggling. I will never ever stay here again and would recommend someone stay anywhere but here!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank DawnMc75
I am truly sorry for the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay at the Sanctuary. During your visit we were in the final phase of our roof/pool renovation, this would explain the leak as well as the empty pool. We have since finished our renovations and would love to have you experience it firsthand. In reference to your valet issue, this will not fall on deaf ears and will be sure to address this matter.