“1st time on Norwegian Getaway = Amazing”

Cruise & Tours Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Cruise & Tours is one of South Florida's largest Tour companies, located in the heart of South Beach, we offer City tours, Everglades Tours, Key West Tours, as well as day trip to the Bahamas.
Reviewed 10 November 2014

Review of Cruise from November 1 to November 7 2014
Norwegian Getaway

This is my review of my experience on the Norwegian Getaway.
Sailed on Nov 1 2014 as a solo cruise, male
booked a balcony room.

This being my 2nd ocean liner cruise, 1st was in Europe a few years back on Louis cruises on smaller cruiseship. So first time on a large ship with many amenities.

This cruise was out of Miami with ports being St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau.

So start of first day was very exciting. Getting on this big ship for first time. Overall good experience. would sail with NCL again.
I thought food was good, but way way better in the sit down restaurants. Buffet was good, but what took away from that was the contact cattle herd of passengers there all the time, not the cruise company fault at all, it is what is it.
Yes pool was small, but then again you have to look at the big water park nearby. Lots of slides so that overrides that. I think all cruiseships have different features then others. Stateroom. I had a balcony. Awesome, loved the views, bed was so comfortable. Cabin steward dude was so amazing and knew everyone by first name. Left funny animal shape towels in room.
Will definitely take a cruise with a smaller amount of passengers.
We will also try and go to Nassau again to. at least will make the attempt.
In short NCL is Fantastic.
Food was Fantastic., Crew was Absolutely great. Entertainment Excellent

St martin beaches were beautiful,
Did a taxi ride around the island was interesting. St Thomas was beautiful, and ride to top in cablecar very nice provided awesome view.
On ship I did the rock climbing wall, was great. Did the ropes course, with the zip line and walk the plank parts. Did the basketball court. As well ran on running track every morning.
Casino was lots of fun. Good selection of slots and tables. It is too bad they allow smoking on the ship though.
One complaint is the music in general areas was total crap!!!. the top 20 songs over and over again. No need to hear Rihanna on a cruiseship. Thank you very much.
Overall Would sail again with NCL. Would do a different ship and different route just to mix things up and look for a new experience.

5  Thank worldtravellers123

Reviewed 22 October 2014

Without going into all of the details I just want to say that of the six cruises my wife and I have been on this was by far the best. Reading the negative reviews I can only surmise that the authors expected absolute perfection in food, entertainment, cabin comfort, etc. Let's face it, you won't find perfection on any ship afloat because the cruiseline has to cater to millions of guests all of whom have different tastes and expectations. What you will definitely find on the Getaway is good food, good entertainment, lots of activities, comfortable, clean, and spacious living quarters, and most important a very friendly and helpful staff. The thing that struck us most about the crew was that they were all quite happy with the officers and their fellow crewmembers which I think contributed to the friendly atmosphere that permeated the ship.

Another great feature of the cruise was the freestyle philosophy that allowed us to pretty much do whatever the heck we wanted when we wanted. The only caveat to that is that you really should make reservations for dining and entertainment when you book the cruise to avoid waiting for tables and seats at the various venues. We had no problem getting into the free restaurants and shows having booked in advance.

Our biggest challenge was choosing between the dozens of activities listed in the daily newsletter that was left in our room each night. Being in our sixties we opted for trivia and some of the other more tame activities. But we did do some night clubs and we hit the water slides and rope course, and I used the fitness room each morning to get the blood flowing before breakfast.

Speaking of food, it was very good overall. The Garden Cafe buffet offered a myriad of delicious appetizers, entrees, and desserts for lunch and dinner; and breakfast choices were plentiful and likewise tasty. We did not opt for any of the extra-cost restaurants, but we did eat at the three main complimentary venues - Taste, Savor, and Tropicana. The food was very good and the servers were friendly and professional. It was like eating out every night at a fancy restaurant, but in shorts or khakis. We had the prime rib the last night we were there and it was definitely a KING cut.

Like I said, I am not going to dwell on the details, mainly because there are too many to dwell on and other reviewers have dwelled them to death. Just suffice it to say that I highly recommend this cruise if you want to have some good fun, relax by the pool, or just enjoy some soothing piano in the Atrium. It is a large clean ship with friendly people and maybe too many entertainment/activity options that are designed to keep you smiling. It is the perfect getaway if you don't need perfection.

7  Thank Zeke4649
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The Getaway is a beautiful ship. The service is excellent, the food is amazing, the entertainment is outstanding, and the activities and shore excursions are big fun! Our adjoining staterooms were very clean and comfortable with plenty of space for all our stuff, and the balcony provided gorgeous ocean and island views. Eleven of us traveled together; seniors, adults, and teens. There was something for everyone on this trip and we all had a truly wonderful vacation.

2  Thank AutumnSnow11
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was my first cruise since my children were small, so I think I really enjoyed just being able to relax and do what I want. We usually take two-week long driving vacations and really never just relax. I loved the ship. The staff was wonderful. I never felt like a second-class citizen to the Haven people. I felt like I paid a very decent price for what I got.

I loved the shows, but wish there would have been more. We really got involved in the game shows and other little fun things that the cruise director and his staff led. It really made a difference, I think. The parties outside on the deck were fabulous and fun. I haven't stayed up that late or danced so much in a long time!

We sons did not do the water slides after the first day because the seams hurt them. The other kids seemed to like them because the lines were always pretty long. My youngest son (16) did love the ropes course. The mini golf was just okay.

Our biggest problem was the pool situation. Our 16 yr old could not spend the days at the pool with the rest of us, which messed up our trip since this is where we spent the most time. There wasn't really any lounge chairs by the kids pool and no music or activities, so he never swam or laid out the entire week. We adults loved the pool entertainment and atmosphere. The pina coladas from the pool bar were delicious!

The food was not that great. Some was good, some was bad but none of it was delicious except the prime rib. The good thing about it was that if you didn't like your meal in the restaurants, you could usually go find something decent in the Garden Cafe Buffet later. The variety was good. Overall I was very disappointed. I remember the food on the Carnival cruise I took about 15 yrs ago being much better (of course that was a long time ago, so maybe all cruise food has changed).

I loved our balcony cabin. Although small, the four of us did not feel too cramped the entire 7 days. I think having the balcony made all the difference in the world. I really enjoyed reading on the balcony and also ordering coffee and croissants early in the morning to eat out there!

Our steward was wonderful but we too were a little bothered by the fact that these workers work on the ship for 9 months before they get 2 months off to go home to see their families. I know they probably make a much better living doing this, but I just can't imagine going that long without seeing my spouse and children.

I loved the islands we visited and was well-pleased with the ease of getting on and off the ship and finding our excursions. I loved the cold towels and drinks the crew handed out on our way back - much appreciated. They really made each shore day a festive occasion.

I will definately do another Norwegian cruise and would recommend this one to anyone. Like I said, I had some complaints and comments, but was extremely pleased based on the reasonable price I paid!

2  Thank katrinabrain
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I didn’t know how to “Cruise like a Norwegian” before boarding the Getaway. We have been on many, many different cruises of different companies Royal, Celebrity, Princess, and Carnival. If my first experience was “Cruising like a Norwegian”, then NCL has made a bad first impression.
Ahhhhh… were to start?

Boarding process was fairly well organized. Once aboard, we went to our cabin to unpack and then explore the ship before the rest of the family arrived. I was surprised at the small size of the balcony cabin. Not much balcony space and the furniture layout could have been better thought out. Two outlets per room in this day and age, is not enough. The bed was comfortable and our room steward was very friendly and attentive to our needs. The cabin was livable for four people for seven days.

We decided to go to the Garden Café for lunch. The first thing that I noticed was how narrow the walking aisles were around the buffet. The kitchen was in the center of a large horse shoe walkway. I was thinking it was more like a horseshoe trough. You constantly had to dodge people going all different directions to get your food and find a table. Not designed for five thousand clients. An open buffet venue would have been much more appeasing and logical. The selections of food items repeated themselves every 50 feet. The coffee was terrible in the Garden Café. We only ate in there for breakfast. I have to mention this. Every once in a while my wife and I got this scent wondering around the buffet that was absolutely putrid. I don’t know if it was a cross scent of a multitude of different food stuffs or if it was something that was spoiled. I truly did not want to eat anything after smelling that. This has never happened on any of the other cruises I have been on.

The Tropicana dining room was average overall. The restaurant waiters were not very friendly at times. I suppose it is different now because of the fact that they are not serving the same parties every night for a gratuity and they want you to go to the specialty restaurants instead. They did however make an effort to bring my daughters a graduation cake on the last night of the cruise which was a nice touch. We tried “The Oceans” specialty restaurant one night. The service was excellent and the food was above average. The main course was how I remembered the main dining room meals used to be on cruises past.

Let’s go outside now. Let me try to describe the deck situation for everyone on the “at sea” days. If you did not wake up at the crack of O’dark thirty in the morning and save a chair, good luck finding one. They were not only hard to find, but placed so close together that you had to crawl on to them from the bottom to get in them (Not very easy for our senior folks on the cruise). The pools were small. One pool for the four thousand adults that were three deep around the pool, and one pool for the five hundred kids. Not very good for those of us who just want to relax in a sun chair and get in the pool to cool off every now and then unless you wanted to pay extra for the spa area at $45 each per day. No thanks….

The rope course and water slides were fun and a new twist venue for the first two days at sea and then the kids were bored of them. But a nice design none the less. Well done NCL!

The shows were very entertaining. We all loved the “Burn the Floor” show. The dancers were very talented and made the show go by very fast. NCL directors created and made a great selection of music, actors, and choreography. Legally Blonde was a great show with great actors and actresses. We loved every minute of both of these productions. The Illusionarium was an OK show from what I saw of it. My father in law paid for premium seating for all in our party. When we arrived they put us in front of the Kitchen door way on the side of the stage. The kids could not see what was going on because the actors were focused on the front of the room and there was a table in front of us. When the kids got up to move to a spot to see what was going on in the show, the restaurant staffers told them to go sit down. We were also told to arrive at 5:30. Most of the people were already eating when we arrived and all the “premium” tables were gone to the Haven folks. That was sad. It was a very Disney like venue. I am sure it was very entertaining to those that could see the show and the video enhanced dome above the stage.

What I noticed is that NCL has decided to create their own little kingdom on board creating the peasant and upper class areas on board in the creation of the Haven group to supplement their bottom line. This is terrible in my opinion. The peasants (regular customers) get crammed into small spaces and are lured to pay premium prices for specialty restaurants, and amenities while the “Haven” group gets their own special areas and front row preferential seating for all venues. Not really cool in my opinion (Yes, I can afford Haven prices but never had to pay to be treated like upper class before on past cruises). I guess it’s a way to nickel and dime us to their prosperity. On this cruise, I felt as though I never got off of the airplane. It was very cramped and crowded. I had to pay for comforts. All in all the staff on board were very friendly and the food was just above average. As a recommendation, I would take the name literally and “Getaway” from the Getaway. Unless of course you are feeling generous and don’t mind to become a Haven snob for a week. Sorry NCL, you missed the boat on this one. I might try one of your smaller ships in the future to see if the old school style cruising is still alive.

I hope that this helps anyone thinking of booking on the Getaway. Overall, my advice would be to book on the Allure or Oasis for a large ship experience. Much better design and vacation feel.

16  Thank TadmanW