“Fantastic hotel and location!”

Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
Ranked #12 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I love that Z Ocean only has suites so the rooms are extremely spacious and luxurious with an amazing jacuzzi on our private rooftop!!
All staff were very friendly and professional. Greatly enjoyed my stay there!

Room Tip: The jacuzzy on our private rooftop was fantastic!
1  Thank Ellie S

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed here for three nights on my own in a spa suite which was overlooking Collins rd. I thought it would be noisy but the door must be triple glazed - very quiet. I did use the hot tub a coupLe of times and it was fine. Room was nice and I did get a good rate but would have been terribly disappointed if I had paid more.

Pool area is lovely. Quiet and spotlessly clean.

So, the strange part. Twice, maintainance guys just came right into my room . Didn't ring the bell or knock . That didn't make me feel comfortable at all. And my room was sort of outside the main corridor through a fire door. Quite isolated. I should have asked to be moved but I didn't get the feeling they were very flexible as the hotel as quite full.

The rooftop rooms looked very nice and if I was to stay there again I would definitely pay the extra for that ocean view

Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank onemoreflight
ZOceanSobe, General Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear Valued Guest;

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience at the Z Ocean Hotel. Your feedback is very important to us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that our customer service, excellent Jacuzzi have enhanced your experience. We place a lot of importance on customer service, and meeting our guests’ every need. I regret hearing that your service at our restaurant was less than stellar, and efforts are currently underway to train our staff to improve their response to our guests needs. I sent you a private message.

We hope that if your travel plans bring you back to South Beach you will join us again at the Z Ocean Hotel. I would like to personally ensure your next experience is enjoyable. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to call me directly.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 25 April 2012

This hotel is AMAZING. My mom and I spent a night in Miami and chose this hotel because of its central location. We were upgraded to a penthouse suite with a private hot tub on the roof when we checked in. The room was clean and the shower in the bathroom is amazing. Everything you need is at this hotel or in walking distance. The restaurant on the back of the hotel is not open late, so plan on going somewhere on Ocean or Collins if you want to get drinks and party. The staff was polite and helpful. Additionally, you are able to get a chair outside on the beach with towel service included in your hotel fee. Valet is also a reasonable price. I would stay here again in a heartbeat I love this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jlb04j

Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for your compliments on your experiences with us last year. I am pleased to hear that you and your mother had a pleasant stay at the hotel. We greatly appreciate your review and are so happy that you had a wonderful stay with us here at the Z Ocean Hotel.

Should your travels bring you back to South Beach, please contact me directly; I would like to personally assist you. In the meantime, we remain at your service and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 21 April 2012

The property is very clean. Service was great! Stayed in the Pentouse with semi private roof terrace. Really enjoyed the hot tub on the roof. It was a little breezy during our visit so we did not spend quite as much time up there as we may have. Roof terraces came with speakers and are wired to plug into you personal music device, very cool! Room was nicely appointed and the shower was great with multiple shower heads. Front Porch Cafe is an excellent breakfast choice.

Would have received a perfect score from us if not for the following cons. Pool seating was a little sparse. Sound proofing could have been better as noisy guests in the hotel hallways will plague a light sleeper. Elevator security access was quirky. You had to insert your room key to select your floor and if there are multiple riders on with different floors inserting your key will cancel theri floor. I learned that after inadvertantly causing a guest to miss their floor. I guess it does provide security.

Don't want to be too negative we did really enjoy our stay. Just one other tip. We brought a few of our own bar items to have drinks in our room prior to going out for the evening. Our room and especially the roof top terrace are great for entertaining.

For those not familiar with Miami Beach, be prepared to spend money. Nothing is inexpensive

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank the4funks

Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Z Ocean Hotel, your review is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your kind words for the team. I am pleased that you enjoyed the amenities we offer, location, great service of our hotel, as well as the private rooftop terrace.

We hope that if your travels bring you back to Miami Beach that you will consider staying at the Z Ocean Hotel again. If I may be of any assistance to you on your next stay please do not hesitate to call me directly.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

lovely hotel in the art deco district in Miami. Good position with both access to Ocean Drive and Collins Avenue. Rooms are nice and building is quite new. Had spa room and was really nice. Own balcony and upstairs area for sunning partying or spaing. They fill the spa up for you which is bit of a pain as you have to give 45 minutes notice if want to use but when they do is really nice and they set up with bath salts and massage beds. Rooms lovely but we had a room on collins street which can get a bit noisy at times from the traffic. Staff really great and would stay again.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean Parade side room if possible as Collins street rooms a little noisy

Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review of the Z on Ocean Hotel in South Beach. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our Spa Suites, I agree with you they are fantastic!.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Z Ocean Hotel in South Beach again soon. I would like to personally ensure that your next experience is extraordinary. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any service to you on your next visit.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Stayed a couple of nights here at the start and end of our holiday. Great location, sumptuous rooms and friendly staff. It is a little pricey but what do you expect - its Ocean Drive. Didn't have food at the hotel as there are loads of options nearby. Also worth noting that there is Alamo car rental virtually opposite the hotel which we thought easier than picking up from airport etc... Especially as we didn't need the car for the first few days.

Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Z Ocean Hotel, your review is greatly appreciated. I am pleased that you enjoyed our sumptuous room, friendly staff and the location of our hotel.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the trendy Z Ocean hotel. The hotel room is very impressive at first site. We found the room to be modern and comfortable, with high end amenities, but not very functional. My husband, who is a diehard coffee fan, worked on the espresso machine for well over 30 minute to decipher the mini pictures that were intended to be instructions. He has easily used every coffee maker from Amsterdam to Hawaii and everywhere in between and never had so much frustration making a cup of coffee. It took both us, plus reading glasses in the poorly lit area to finally get a cup of coffee. Total time 40 minutes. We also felt pretty helpless after spending 20 minutes trying to get the TV volume to work. We tried both remotes and every button, before calling down for assistance. It took the maintenance guy over an hour, so that made us feel better. He said somebody took the wires out to set up their own sound system. I did think he was moving in with us, but luckily I was able to close off all the doors to the bathroom and continue getting ready to go out. This was not the only repair needed. The A/C blew freezing cold from the time we arrived until the next morning, despite us setting it at 80 to try to get it to stop blowing. The repair man came right away the next morning and repaired it in about 20 minutes.
It's great to have a kitchen, so we picked up croissants and cheese. We realized that despite the high end look to the kitchen, it is really not functional. No silverware to cut anything, no paper towels, and only coffee cup sized plates. So, if you are planning on eating in the room (we travel all over the world on a tight budget, so we rarely eat out, which I'm sure is not the norm for this area) be prepared to buy paper plates and plastic silverware to make the kitchen functional. We ended up using the bathroom towels to heat up the croissants and then to wipe up the sink area. The mini fridge isn't a fridge at all. It is room temperature, so I’m not really sure how that is supposed to keep anything fresh. We used our beach cooler to keep our things cold. As reported by a few others, the lighting is not great and the room is generally dark.
The rooms open up onto a large balcony that is open to your neighbors, so keeping the curtains open isn't much of an option. The shower and bathroom are magnificent with a his and hers sink area. The lighting in the shower is very dark, so if you have any plans to shave, just pretend that you are without power. The beds were amazingly comfortable and we probably would have slept great, but we didn’t get that opportunity. Unfortunately, we had a bachelorette group in the room next door, screaming and laughing on the patio at 11:30 pm on the first night. We decided to go out on the patio in the hopes that they would quiet down a bit. The balconies have a VERY open barrier between them The girls seemed surprised when we came out and sat down right next to them. I know Miami Beach is a party spot, but not everyone wants to share in the neighbor's party. The next night was worse. They came in at 2:00 AM, were screaming and running up and down the halls and slamming doors. I called for assistance at 3:30 and by 4:00 am we were able to get back to sleep. We are 50 and chose the location for the beach and the hotel reviews, not really expecting young party goers to ruin the experience. We had a white noise machine and the A/C fan blowing, but it could not cover the noise. Another couple our age came down to complain at the same time and asked for the manager. They said another loud party was going all night and security did not respond to their request for assistance. The front desk girl did not apologize to us, but simply checked us out. They only offered a noon checkout, which did us no good, so we went ahead and checked out at 9:00 and had our luggage stored by the porter. Since we are platinum priority members (and Ambassador) the wifi was free, as well as the luxury beach chairs, pads and umbrellas. They were the nicest offered on the beach. The chairs had 4” thick pads and super soft covers, so we really thought this perk was great. The gorgeous, expansive beach was an easy walk out the lobby, across one small street and up the concrete walkway. Overall, we loved the luxury feel and decor of the hotel and definitely the location. I don't know if we would come again, but it was definitely a memorable experience.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to write this honest review of the Z Ocean Hotel in South Beach. Your response is very important to us, it helps us become aware of areas in which need improvement. It is regrettable to hear you encounter various issues during your stay. We are taking steps to improve some of the areas that you have mentioned. Efforts are also underway to train our team to improve our service and response to our guest needs.

If your travels plans bring you back to South Beach I hope that you will consider staying with us at the Z Ocean Hotel again. I would like to personally ensure that you have a great experience and better accommodations. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance to you on your next stay.

Thank you again for your candid review, I wish you all the best.

Kind Regards,