“faboulous hotel, excellent staff and the food in their restaurant gets a 10 out of 10”

Kimpton Angler's Hotel
Ranked #17 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

As above, fabulous hotel, excellent staff and the food in their restaurant get a 10 out of 10

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank ScottieOklahomaCity

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Just wanted to write about the wonderful experience my wife and I had at the Angler's. We stayed there from 4/3-4/5. I have so many positives and so few negatives. Let me start with the fact that my wife and I have traveled all over the world and stayed in places from backpacking hostels to the Peninsula Hotel. This was, bar none, the best customer service we have ever had (will explain below). I will start with the negatives and then do the positives.

(POTENTIAL) NEGATIVES:
1) as the previous traveler mentioned, it can get a bit loud at night. My wife is 8 months pregnant and we were not in South Beach to party, so we went to sleep every night by 11 or 12. yes, we could hear music, but truth be told, we slept like babies. It wasn't that bad and I am sure if we had wanted to say something to management, it would have been dealt with appropriately.

2) tv is not HD. I don't really care about this as we watch about 2.5 minutes of tv but someone might care.

3) is not directly on the beach. We actually loved this fact, as it was quieter than hotels on the beach. Some may not want this, however, and may want to be 30 seconds from the beach. we were 5 minutes.

POSITIVES:
1) customer service. I called ahead to try and do something nice for my wife as this is our last vacation before the kiddo. They said they would do something. They put flower pedals all over the bed. Which was great and all. But then they surprised us with an Angler's Boutique infant teeshirt as a gift (and did not charge us for it). It was a really nice surprise
When we arrived, Alejandro - THE MANAGER - checked our bags and brought it into the room. He also refused a tip. Now, these things are not necessary by any means, but add to the value of the experience. They gave us free beach towels and water for the beach and we had an umbrella and 2 chairs on the beach for a nominal fee through the hotel. I wanted to surprise my wife with a massage, and they arranged for an in-room prenatal massage for no additional cost. Finally, we were originally booked for 3 nights. We had to leave a day early, and they had no qualms about allowing us to leave and did not charge us for it or make us pay for the night on which we bailed.

2) beautiful rooms. we had the smallest room, I believe and they a cough, table, king bed, flat screen tv

3) free wifi

4) quiet versus the rest of south beach and very intimate. once again, if you want the typical south beach experience with the partying, maybe this is not the place for you. but we loved it.

5) did i mention the customer service?

6) we went to the fountainblu for dinner one night and we walked through that monstrosity. while it looked very nice, it was like a resort and packed with people. no one smiled and everyone seemed to have their own agenda. this was not the case at the angler's

7) affordable. got it for less than $300/night on jetsetter.

FINAL VERDICT:
When we inevitably return to south beach, we will return here in a heartbeat. In fact they invited us to come back with the kiddo - they said they will set up a crib in the room for us!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Menontravel
Jayres, General Manager at Kimpton Angler's Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your last special trip befor your baby arrives with us. What a tremendous compliment that you selected The Angler's!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'll make certain to share it with the entire team.

We'll have the crib ready when you return to your home in Miami Beach.

Kind Regards.

Arundel, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

From being met kerb side and whisked straight to our room for check in to our departure everything went very smoothly.
All the staff are very friendly and helpful with a smile on their face - what a difference this makes!
We stayed in a poolside studio with a lovely terrace. You can smoke in all the outside areas too! Heated pool that was great to swim in after a hectic day.
The restaurarant has an outside area, which when you've just come from a cold UK was lovely for breakfast & dinner. Good food and the prices compare favourably with Ocean Drive.
Easy 2 block walk to the beach and 15 mins up to Lincoln road shops.
All in all an excellent stay - would highly recommend the Angler's!

3 Thank Maturebutfunloving
Thank you for being our guest recently and taking the time to review us.

It sounds like you truly enjoyed yourself here in the U.S. and particularly at The Angler's!

We hope to welcome you home again soon.

Warm Regards.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed at the Anglers for 4 nights. We had a nice two-floor room with own hot-tob. Expensive but the room and hot-tob was nice.
BUT they have music coming from outside speakers that is on non-stop. Apparently Thursday was happy hour day so to "celebrate" they turned the music up and change it to dance music !?! We asked two times if they could turn down the music but they only turned it down a bit.
So dont make the same mistake as we did believing this was a quiet relaxing spot in Miami Beach. Its very loisy!
But if you like to relax with dance music and no conversation (impossible with that loise level) the hotel is fine.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank mutzung
Jayres, General Manager at Kimpton Angler's Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Thank you for your recent visit and taking the time to share your comments.

I apologize for the volume of the music you experience. We only have a DJ on Thursday nights from 5p-8p as a happy hour celebration. We clearly need to reevaluate our DJ offering as I feel that you're expectations were very much in line with who we are as a hotel.

We would very much like to gain additional feedback regarding the challenges you referenced. We would like for you to return as our guest and have the experience you should have had. As I'm going to be out of town, if you would be so kind to E-mail our Front Office Mannager Michael McClain at michael@theanglersresort.com or call him at 305.594.5888 we would be very grateful.

I'd like to again apologize and sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide your constructive feedback.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Let me preface my review by saying that I'm a Travel Agent, 25 years in the making....

I must say, I am my worst client! I'm picky, and have high standards, after-all, I travel the world and tend to have my pick of the best places. After much research in planning our trip to SoBe, I decided on The Anglers.

It was an excellent choice! There are so many other bigger hotels in this area, on the beach, with all the bells and whistles of a non discript hotel, and we wanted something better, smaller and more intimate/romantic. The Angler was all that...and more!

The rooms were beautiful, as is the entire space of the property. All very green and lush, and super romantic!

We had afternoon aps, they were excellent, although breakfast left a little to be desired...

The room was spotless, and I mean, spotless!!

All the staff were amazing, always working hard and with a smile on their faces! It made parting with our money easy...after all, good service is key when staying in a boutique hotel.

Overall, I strongly recommend the hotel....go for it, you will not be dissapointed!

Room Tip: You should have a balcony overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WorldTravellerGirl
Thank you for your recent visit and kind reviews.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed yourself during your visit with us. It sounds like your trip was fantastic and I'm proud of my team having delivered on all of your expectations.

We look forward to your next visit!

Warm regards,

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

The Mrs and I stayed here for one night having driven back from a week at Key West before flying home from MIA. Less than 100mtrs from the Airport Flyer transport stop on Washington and 6th [USD2.35 each way], not far from Lincoln Road mall and just 3 minutes walk to Ocean Drive, South Beach and heart of the deco district makes the location of the Anglers perfect.

Our room wasn`t ready on arrival but we were invited to have a drink by the pool [but were charged for those] and whilst the Hotel then switched our room to a bigger one, they forgot to tell us for about half an hour.

Room 208 had no view to speak of but a small balcony and was as others have commented. very well appointed. An extensive wet bar yet no tea or coffee making facilities.

I wanted to check in on line for our Virgin Atlantic flight using the guest PC next to lobby, a problem with seat allocation and the airline's web to sort it out was willingly taken on by James. He truly went out of his way with calls and suggestions to help resolve. He was friendly and reassuring.

We dined in the hotel's fairy lit and exotically planted terrace, wait staff were again chatty and yet professional. Brunch the following morning was massive. We thought the food and drink costs were good value [18% tip is automatically but optionally added to the check] and a whole lot more comfortable surroundings than for the poor souls trying to eat at restaurants on the strip. [walking along ocean Drive after our dinner to see the sights and lights was a great experience].

Room costs here are pricey but seemed good value compared to alternatives and for the personal service and attention guests receive. Beats the chain and massive resort type hotels in Miami in our book.

2 Thank Shroomer
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed here end of March in a pool view room (105) with a nice private terrace and just a few meters from dipping your feet in lovely lukewarm water.
The proximity to the pool made it feel as it was your own private one although a few other guests were hanging around there every day as well. And because you only get sun for about half a day by the pool it was perfect to spend the other half shopping on the nearby Collins Ave Shopping district or up by Lincoln Road Mall.

The Angler's location was perfect if you're not into the hustle and bustle on Ocean Drive or need a giant pool area to celebrate spring break. The Angler's is simply great if your looking for tranquillity.

The room was huge for a 4 star hotel. Great bed and nice decor. We loved it!

A few minor glitches:

- Since we were in Miami during the Winter Music Conference I can understand that they wanted to add a little party flavor during afternoons and early evenings with a dj. Unfortunately they choose to play the kind of house music that is mainly suitable for spring break beer-people waving their hands in the air. Swedish House Mafia, Avicii, David Guetta and that kind of terrible commercial electronic music.
Since The Angler's were profiling themselves as a totally different South Beach hotel than for example Surfcomber, Z Ocean or whatever other hotel near Ocean Drive during this period that will attract a lot of Jersey Shore-type of guys it would suit them more to present the more sofisticated side of house music, more deep, more soulful.
Well, you can't get everything you ask for.

- My girlfriend emailed the hotel before departing about my birthday during our stay and they promised to arrange something for me. Well, they must have forgot.

- The day before checkout we were promised a complimentary late checkout at 2pm, but they forgot to communicate that too, resulting in another front desk guy not understanding why weren't checking out the regular time. It all worked out fine, but my point is that the staff need to get a little bit better in communicating with each other.

No biggie though. All'n'all it was a fantastic stay and by far the best hotel I've stayed at in Miami in my 4 visits. Will definitely return someday.

Room Tip: Pool view room 105 with private terrace was great!
1 Thank Mozzer22