I flew in from NYC and booked a room for a night in winter here and chose this hotel primarily because of its free shuttle to and fro MIA and its proximity to South Beach.
Hotel and grounds: Along the shopping district of Collins Ave and a block away from Ocean's Drive and South and Miami Beach. Walking distance to Washington Ave to catch plenty of buses to downtown Miami. Hotel is quaint and the bar looks pretty cosy with its happy hour but I did not utilise it. TIP: A cab ride from Lincoln road after midnight back to this hotel should not cost more than $10. Ask the driver to put on the meter. Or like mine, who was too occupied on his cell and forgot to, asked for any amount of payment I would like to give him. (lol) In parts of Asia or Europe, you would have likely been ripped off by the cab drivers already at this hour..
Staff: Friendly and accommodating from the front desk to the bellboy to everyone. Book your shuttle service to the airport in advance. My only gripe was the caucasian shuttle driver who was a little annoyed when I asked him to return back to the hotel (just a 1 minute u-turn and a few blocks away) and to pick up a bag I had left behind in the lounge, the day I set off for the airport, despite my thousand apologies. He left in a huff after dropping me off at MIA without me having a chance to give him a tip, so hey, male PMS on display there.
Room: They gave me an option of a room facing the street or a quieter room at the back so I chose the former. Nice view of the the street from the third floor to people watch (and assess the situation what people are wearing in Miami in the warm winter amid occasional showers - stark contrast in the dress code in NYC..) There is barely any street noise that will disturb you in the room.
Modern, huge, spacious room & bathroom with lovely, dark cosy decor. The queen-size bed and pillows were amazing for a party of one. Nice to be greeted by the stereo playing tunes as you enter the room and the usual amenities are there, flat-screen tv, safe, ironing board, dryer, toiletries and like at least 7 bath towels of various sizes all for me. The hotel even provided beach towels if you are heading to the beach, nice touch. (Score: 1 to Miami and Samui beach hotels who provide this service, 0 to Ibiza beach hotels - Europeans, miserly bunch..)
You can only access wi-fi from the lounge area which was a bummer but if you're sly like me, you can access their sister hotel's wi-fi across the road.. Did not try the room service and order of meals and other amenities but next time eh...
In all, loved Miami and loved this hotel. Might stay here again or at one of its sister hotels..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Shelley is product of a flawless marriage between comfort and affordability. Located just steps from the ocean, the Shelley is a favorite to travelers who enjoy an unpretentious atmosphere and prime location at a good price. Our vibe is chill. We're talking bathing suits and flip flops...all day long. The laid-back ambiance and gracious staff of the Shelley prove ideal to the casual traveler who's looking for a place where anything goes. IMPORTANT -- Credit card used for booking must be the same credit card presented for payment at check-in. The name on the credit card must match the name on the reservation and the card holder must be present along with a government-issued photo ID. Holiday and Special Events require a non-refundable prepayment 30 days prior to arrival. No early departures are allowed. Reservations are completely non-refundable within 30 days of arrival. Events include but are not limited to: New Years (12/26 to 1/3), Boat Show (2/12 to 2/16), Winter Music Conference & Ultra (3/15 to 3/31), Memorial Day (5/21 to 5/25) & Art Basel (12/3 to 12/9). A mandatory daily resort fee of $20.00 plus tax ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Shelley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shelley Hotel Miami Beach
- Shelley Miami Beach
- Hotel Shellys
- Hotel Shelley Miami Beach, Florida