“Lovely little boutique hotel near the beach”
Review of Hotel Shelley

Hotel Shelley
Ranked #77 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I flew in from NYC and booked a room for a night in winter here and chose this hotel primarily because of its free shuttle to and fro MIA and its proximity to South Beach.

Hotel and grounds: Along the shopping district of Collins Ave and a block away from Ocean's Drive and South and Miami Beach. Walking distance to Washington Ave to catch plenty of buses to downtown Miami. Hotel is quaint and the bar looks pretty cosy with its happy hour but I did not utilise it. TIP: A cab ride from Lincoln road after midnight back to this hotel should not cost more than $10. Ask the driver to put on the meter. Or like mine, who was too occupied on his cell and forgot to, asked for any amount of payment I would like to give him. (lol) In parts of Asia or Europe, you would have likely been ripped off by the cab drivers already at this hour..

Staff: Friendly and accommodating from the front desk to the bellboy to everyone. Book your shuttle service to the airport in advance. My only gripe was the caucasian shuttle driver who was a little annoyed when I asked him to return back to the hotel (just a 1 minute u-turn and a few blocks away) and to pick up a bag I had left behind in the lounge, the day I set off for the airport, despite my thousand apologies. He left in a huff after dropping me off at MIA without me having a chance to give him a tip, so hey, male PMS on display there.

Room: They gave me an option of a room facing the street or a quieter room at the back so I chose the former. Nice view of the the street from the third floor to people watch (and assess the situation what people are wearing in Miami in the warm winter amid occasional showers - stark contrast in the dress code in NYC..) There is barely any street noise that will disturb you in the room.

Modern, huge, spacious room & bathroom with lovely, dark cosy decor. The queen-size bed and pillows were amazing for a party of one. Nice to be greeted by the stereo playing tunes as you enter the room and the usual amenities are there, flat-screen tv, safe, ironing board, dryer, toiletries and like at least 7 bath towels of various sizes all for me. The hotel even provided beach towels if you are heading to the beach, nice touch. (Score: 1 to Miami and Samui beach hotels who provide this service, 0 to Ibiza beach hotels - Europeans, miserly bunch..)

You can only access wi-fi from the lounge area which was a bummer but if you're sly like me, you can access their sister hotel's wi-fi across the road.. Did not try the room service and order of meals and other amenities but next time eh...

In all, loved Miami and loved this hotel. Might stay here again or at one of its sister hotels..

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the street.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Hello Kaputnik,

Thank you for providing your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely glad to read that you loved our little boutique hotel! We are glad that you chose to stay with us on your trip down to South Beach! I see that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary shuttle from MIA Airport. It's a great money saver and who doesn't love to save money? :) Our location is prime! We are in the heart of South Beach in the middle of all of the action, yet far enough to where you can get a great nights rest! Our staff works hard to make you feel comfortable and accommodated! We try to do whatever we can to make sure that when you depart you have nothing but wonderful memories!! I am very glad that you were content with the room that you were given! The street view is great, especially at night with all the lights and foot traffic and eye candy!

We hope that you come back to stay with us on your next visit to South Beach!
We would love to host your stay again!

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Not at all what I expected. The rooms are tiny. Had to put luggage on the extra bed....no floor space. The bathroom is beyond tiny. The water pressure is at best a drizzle. The a/c couldn't keep the room cool with the curtains pulled. The hair dryer was blowing cold air and would barely move a hair much less dry it. Had to get maintenance up to "look" at the hair dryer. Finally replaced it. No coffee in room or downstairs. Had to walk across the street to the "bar" just to get coffee. Great location if you like Ocean Drive.... bad food and extremely overpriced drinks ($25 for two Coronas).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tonya B

Hello Tonya,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you for sharing it with us! I apologize that the hotel was not what you expected. Hotel Shelley is actually a boutique hotel therefore the rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel room. I will let our maintenance team know about the pressure of the water. I am glad that your hair dryer was replaced and that you were able to use it. The price for drinks is normal for hotels on South Beach. I apologize that this hotel was not suited for you.

Have a great day!

Reviewed 2 January 2013

It was very different and lovable to be a guest rock.The officials and front desks agents gave us
a especial attention.Dusko,Chris and Ronald take care of the guests.They are very helpful people.The acomodations were simple,but clean and modern, in art deco. Very confortable! The staff tried to understand us in all languages.Shelley has good location near lhe beach.Everybody smilles and understand why nobody pass through wihthout misss Miami Beach.

Room Tip: The apartaments in south side are more silent.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Hello Omalisan,

Thank you for providing your feedback! We are very glad that you had a great time while staying with us! I will let all of the mentioned staff know about your kind praise!!! We can't wait to have you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 26 December 2012

Hotel Shelly is a great place with clean, comfortable room and amazing location. I have to commend the girl who greeted me with a smile, she is so nice and friendly- Ana. She was very kind and helpfull. I really enjoyed my stay and I will certainly come again.See you next year...

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Hello Tara J,

Thank you for your kind and honest feedback! Our guests love to hear what you have to say about your recent stay with us! We are glad that you were content with the cleanliness of our property! We have a great team that works hard to make you feel like you were at home! I will definitely let Ana know of your kind praise! She is a great asset to your team and we love her as well! We can't wait to have you back, soon!

Have a great day!

Reviewed 20 December 2012

My stay at the Hotel Shelley was a most pleasurable one: the sheets and encased coverlet were immaculate, as were the towels. The room was fully equipped with air conditioning,.hair dryer, iron and ironing board, television, tape player, alarm, etc. The travertine bath had been updated with fresh new fixtures and was also immaculate. The room was quiet. The staff was uniformly friendly and eager to be of assistance. I felt very well taken care of.
The location just a block from the beach was great. The rates compared to what else was available in the general area were great.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Good Morning 605travel2,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback for all of our future guests to read! We are extremely glad to read that you had such a pleasurable one!! Our rooms have everything that you need to feel at home. Our staff is great and always eager to assist with you with anything. We are right across the beach and all of our guests love that about our property. Come back soon! We can't wait to have you!

Reviewed 19 December 2012

I have been stayed in this hotel this past August, the position is GREAT (within walking distance from Lincoln Road and every major attractive in South Beach, and the beach is just across the street), the staff is really friendly (I remember in particular the guy from Serbia at the desk and a guy from Venezuela that helps you with your luggage), and the quality/ratio price is very very good. Room cleaning is regular and professional. The only downside I can complain about was the total lack of any kind of light near or in my closet, it was pretty hard to find my clothes at night (it was so dark that I had to use my cellphone as a torch). I don't know whether it is noisy or quiet at night, after all who goes to Miami to sleep?!? Overall I would absolute go back here for my vacacions in Miami

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Hello Cesare83,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are very glad that you chose to share it with us! The location of the property is great! We are in the heart of South Beach! Our staff works very hard to provide excellent service to each and every one of our guests! I will definitely let our housekeeping staff know about your comment in regards to the light. Were you able to ask the front desk or the operator for an extra lamp? We do provide lamps for those guests that would like more illumination in their room. We hope to host your next visit to South Beach!

Reviewed 9 December 2012

Location was perfect, one block away from the beach, Ocean Drive and famous Miami nightclubs Mansion and Bamboo. Service was great, Ana from front desk was very helpful in making our stay great, be sure to ask her about where to get good coffee and food, the places she recommended were authentic. We decided to stay 2 more days then planned and even if it was holiday weekend Ana and Dusko from front desk made that possible.

Room Tip: Ask for room 316 if available
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bojan K
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Good Afternoon Bojan,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are very glad that you chose to share it with us and all of our future guests. I see that you were satisfied with the location of the property! We are just steps away from the beach, restaurants, shops, clubs, etc. In the heart of South Beach! I am very glad to read that you were given such great customer service from Ana! She is wonderful! I will make sure to let her know of your kind praise! It is also nice to know that Ana and Dusko made is possible for you to extend your stay!!

We hope to have you stay with us again soon!