1,671 results
All reviews happy hour free drinks front desk south beach free shuttle ocean drive rooms are small enjoyed my stay block miami hookah ana clubs sobe collins nightlife action
Reviewed June 12, 2009

A group of 4 were in South Beach for vacation. Thank goodness 2 of us were at the Dorchester (great stay!). The other two were at the Shelley. 1st, the room that was given was the size of a broom closet with a TWIN BED! And the reservation was for a standard room, dual occupancy! after TWO HOURS of begging/arguing/ranting for another room, the best we got was a slightly larger room, still with only one bed. Check into this new room and there is URINE on the bathroom floor. When the front desk clerk was told about the urine and asked for it to be cleaned. The clerk (who was just taking his shift), then says "I heard about you all, I know what you're up to!" REALLY??? keep in mind, not asking for a room change, just asking for person to clean the URINE!!! He then said housekeeping was not on staff and would not be until 7 a.m. It was about 10 p.m. when he made that statement. following more arguing, it was ask by us if there's a spill in the lobby, who would clean it up and his reply was "It will stay there until the morning when housekeeping comes in!" By the way, there were SEVERAL other irate patrons there at the same time! Also, Upon checkout, there was an additional $16 per day "resort fee" added to the bill! WHAT RESORT!!??? Oh, almost forget ... drug dealers and "women of the night are common on the front stoop!"

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
GuestRelation-Mgr, General Manager (La'Quana Stuckey) at Hotel Shelley, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2009

We are disappointed to hear that you were not happy during your stay at The Shelley Hotel. I do apologize for not being able to accomodate you with two double beds. Unfortunately your stay was on a sold out weekend with limited options. When booking through some of the online website you are not ganranteed bed types. They allow you to request bedding type based on the hotels availability. Because we run on a high occupancy this limits us to honoring everyone's request. I spoke directly with you in regards to this matter and offered you different options. Which you declined on those options. Unfortunately you never spoke with me in regards to the room issue which never gave me a chance to investigate and resolved your complaint. On your next visit to South Beach give me a call directly so I can make sure you receive the room type requested.

Reviewed June 4, 2009

My friends and I had high expections from this hotel when we booked our trip to miami because the pictures seemed very appealing, but as soon as we arrived it was nothing like what we had expected. First of all, majority of their customer service representatives were very unprofessional, they were not friendly or welcoming. Second, the room and restroom is tiny, disgusting, and smells horrible (the smell does not go away). We had also noticed a few roaches crawling along the walls in the both the restroom and the room. Also, don't expect to see a shower door because there is not one, water will splash everywhere whenever you take a shower. Although the location is great, it was not worth it and I would never recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends

The Shelley Hotel is one of the Historic Hotels in Miami Beach. It is over 80 years old and is known for its original structure. We have came and added a little more life to this building with modern electronics. Shelley is considered to be the budget hotel in the group because of its limited space. We are constantly trying to improve our hotel and this is why we value our customer feedback. As far as my staff I would like to apologize on their behalf. I would love to speak with you directly to further discuss this matter, so I can speak with these individual in improving their customer service.

Reviewed May 27, 2009

My friends and I booked two rooms in this hotel for memorial weekend months in advance. The day before we were scheduled to arrive we called the hotel just to make sure our reservation was still fine and they reassured us everything was fine. When we got there we were informed by a very rude and poorly groomed manager that our rooms had been flooded and we had been transferred to another hotel in a less desirable location. They only gave us one bed per room even though we had four to a room and had requested two beds. They double charged our credit cards for the stay and made us go through rings. And loops to get our money back . Moral of the story don't stay here!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
GuestRelation-Mgr, Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2009

Dear Guest,

The Shelley Hotel wants to apologize if we may have caused any inconvenience during your stay. This weekend the hotel ran into a couple of room issues causing the hotel to have to block out several rooms. With this happening we took some of our guest and upgraded them to our sister hotels (Catalina Hotel) which had two swimming pools and three resturants. I do apologize that you were put into one bed, but the following day you were offer to be put in a room with two double beds. The Shelley hotel does value our customers and would like to speak directly with you in regards to correcting this problem in the future. Please give us a call (877)762-3477.

Reviewed May 26, 2009

My fiancé and I Pricelined this hotel the afternoon of the Friday night we spent there. We got an incredible deal ($60) but were a bit scared of the reviews. Our experience went like this: the front desk attendant was hesitant to let us check in because we had Pricelined that day (not that that's unheard of). My fiancé had to forward the email confirmation to him because (supposedly) it hadn’t gone through to his reservations system. Finally we were given a room, which was halfway down the dark, dank hallway on the first floor. The room was "wannabe boutique": Modern (though cheap-looking and worn) furniture, a well-stocked mini bar and snacks (which we didn't delve into), a small bathroom. This place is not the Gansevoort, but this is South Beach—you're not hanging out in your hotel room! Two drinks at the bar totaled $18 (a shock even for me, used to NYC prices). The angst I felt wore off soon enough however, as we drank ourselves silly at the free happy hour (7-8pm). Yes, it really is free (rum, gin, and vodka drinks that is), however, the bartenders aren't shy about reminding you to tip. There's a DJ spinning hip-hop in the lobby and the place gets pretty packed, so get a seat at the bar and stay there. It's a fun time.

It's a couple blocks to the beach and walking distance to all of South Beach. (TIP: park in the metered municipal parking lot down the street rather than pay the hotel to valet your car). We did hear some late-night commotion (again, this is South Beach), but other than that this hotel was just fine for a freewheeling couple on vacation. Make sure to use Priceline—their normal rates are pretty absurd.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bananaco
GuestRelation-Mgr, General Mgr. (La'Quana Stuckey) at Hotel Shelley, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2009

Thank you for your stay at the Shelley Hotel. It's good to see that not all reviews are bad. The Shelley Hotel values our customer feedback whether it's good or bad, because this improves our staff and hotel. Hopefully we will see you soon in your next visit to Miami Beach.

Reviewed May 23, 2009

The only people who stay here are those who don't know any better! Really, do you need ANOTHER review telling you to AVOID this hotel and all hotels owned and operated by South Beach Group. http://www.southbeachgroup.com/ They practice underhanded (if not outright illegal) business practices... sure, your stay here might go smoothly..but don't say I didn't warn you when you are spending countless hours of your time trying to get reimbursed for being charged double, for days you didn't stay, or for room types you didn't stay in.

Management here has absolutely NO sense of customer service and actively avoids customer complaints. You will NOT hear back from anyone if you call, email, or otherwise try to contact them to question your overcharge. If you don't live in the area to go in person you will be left with few options to resolving the charge dispute.

If you book this hotel, you might as well plan on contacting your credit card company to dispute the charge. It might not happen to you, but it happens too often with this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo